Odd Samsonite lines at Ross

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Odd Samsonite lines at Ross

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2019, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by Buster
If you're not very hard on luggage, it's probably fine. My husband had a Samsonite checked spinner that we bought from TJ Maxx and it got destroyed in 2 trips. I took it to my trusty luggage repair guy (who does Samsonite warranty work) and he said that Samsonite makes special cheaper lines for sale at Marshalls, Ross & TJ Maxx. He said that if you want Samsonite, you should buy it from a luggage retailer or a Macy's, etc. He also said that Tumi & Victorinox are safe to buy from Marshalls & TJ Maxx because they are closeouts, not cheaper made lines.

Again, if you're using it as a carry-on, you've got more control than with checked luggage, and you're probably fine.
This is really interesting to find out. I had a samsonite i bought at Ross that died 4 years after i bought it. BA broke the frame but replaced it with a samsonite off the website.. which, ironically, lasted 2 long haul flights before it broke (first the plastic that holds the bits together on the way there broke then on the way back, the case arrived with massive cracks).. BA replaced that one too.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 5:14 pm

Samsonite Luggage from Ross Dress for Less

Recently, I also purchased Samsonite luggage from Ross Dress for Less, and I tried to Google the type of Samsonite bag that I purchased.
And I like "Ziobacio" could not find it listed on Google, but I did see Ziobacio's post on this forum website.
After seeing his post I too sent a inquiry to Samsonite through their website, but I have not yet heard back from them.
Meanwhile, I returned the luggage I purchased from Ross back to the store after seeing a WARNING on the label attached to the luggage.
On the back of the label there is a WARNING which states the following:
"This product can expose you to chemicals including Di (2-ethylhexyl) phthalate (DEHP), which is known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov."
I would rather shop for Samsonite luggage at the Samsonite Outlet Store than at Ross.
I believe,"A word to the wise is sufficient!"
Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:21 pm

May I gently point out that DEHP is a very common chemical in household items? From the CDC website:
DEHP is present in plastic products such as wall coverings, tablecloths, floor tiles, furniture upholstery, shower curtains, garden hoses, swimming pool liners, rainwear, baby pants, dolls, some toys, shoes, automobile upholstery and tops, packaging film and sheets, sheathing for wire and cable, medical tubing, and blood storage bags.
https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/ToxProfiles/tp9-c1-b.pdf

It's quite likely that the Samsonite luggage you buy at the outlet store will be made of similar materials, but if you don't live in California, there is no legal requirement to attach a warning label. The bag you saw at Ross may have originally come as overstock from California, hence the label.
Allentown likes this.

Last edited by ordx; Jun 27, 2019 at 9:33 pm
Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: M/M
California Proposition 65 (P65) labels are basically just a result of the state's progressive attitude towards legislation.

Like "ordx" pointed out, nearly every common consumer item come in contact with these chemicals at some point in the manufacturing process.

It is no more different than trace elements of plastic found in food, every "flame retardant" piece of fabric you have in your home.

It's a simple fact of living in today's day and age.

Also, "You get what you pay for!"
Old Jun 29, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond. American Airlines Platinum, Mariott: Gold. Delta: Gold
Buying your luggage at Ross (or any Brick and Mortar store now days really) is your first mistake in the quest to obtain quality luggage.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond. American Airlines Platinum, Mariott: Gold. Delta: Gold
Originally Posted by niele
I even saw the upscale leather tumi business luggage line at Ross, last time I was there. They were marked down from an average $1750 to $950 ... still a bit out of my range but they were very nice looking.
The Ashton and Arrive lines run in that price range. These are actually joint projects Tumi runs with companies like say...(just as an example) Louis Vitton and they work out the design and materials and Tumi does the branding for a lesser price. Since an actually LV costs $3,000 to $4000 this fill the segment below the $2,000 line but above the $1,000 line.

Anyway back on topic. You can get the exact same pricing and discounts from Tumi if you watch for a sale....minus the obvious VERY HIGH LIKELY HOOD that it is a chinese made knock off with a Tumi tag on it. How do i know? I have done side by side comparisons with various products from electronics to luggage at Ross, TJ and wal mart. There is a wealth of info on the net about how to spot a copy Slightly differnt box, errors in labelling, and suble things like zipper length, pocket orientation even subtle differences in size etc. The average person can't tell but when you take an authentic version and put it side by side with the real one you can ABSOLUTELY TELL and document it..ive done it. The original authentic company can't really help you with that counterfiet product and your warranty will not be honored. These fake products have been flooding retail centers Ross, TJ Maxx, Wal mart etc. like crazy lately and their distributors don't know the difference as they are being sold to the distributor as authentic. It's frankly out of control. It is so bad that the legit companies even hide it as they are afraid it will hurt sales if people are always wondering if all their products (the legit ones) are fakes (in some cases going so far as to reverse their own policy and replace a fake example on warranty just to conceal the problem with so many fakes being out there ((no promise though on that)). You CAN complain to the original store you bought it from if you have proof and photographs etc comparing the original to the fake and they will some times, give your money back. However in a recent conversation i have had with a customer services rep, the reps aren't allowed to openly admit to customers this is a problem that they are aware of...even when caught red handed doing it. They will just apologize and read their customer services script (over the phone they also can't tell if it really is a counterfeit or if you are just some lousy con artist or idiot claiming it is...and the amount of work you have to do with pictures and documentation pointing out each and every difference between fake and original makes it almost not worth it.) My conclusion from from doing research and complaining and looking into this issue is interesting 1) A lot of the bad reviews of high end products is where people bought counterfeit stuff and then found it failed on them but they blamed the authentic company (never realized they bought a cheap fake with a fake label) and 2) Just don't bother spending more than $75 bucks on pretty much anything from a Ross, TJ, Wal Mart etc if you value your money. I have found Macy's to be "okay" in this regard (so far)...

Amazon is a dice roll. I get stuff which i can verify as authentic on amazon all the time but sometimes a fake slips through there as well (especially with electronics). Just don't even bother going to ebay or craigslist etc unless you are almost purposely SEEKING fake gear.

Last edited by Allentown; Jun 29, 2019 at 10:56 am
Old Jun 29, 2019, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Sandys123
No Stress Here,

I agree with your thoughts on not spending hundreds of dollars on things like luggage. I like the bag and will keep it. Actually, it's probably better quality than my current carry-on bag that I have for around 10 years. I'll give that bag to my husband. I just wanted a spinner, since the airplane aisles have gotten so narrow.

Your around the world trip looks great!
That value depends completely on how much you travel and how hard you are on your luggage. Ive got even high end samsonite luggage sitting in my garage TODAY next to the garbage can because the metal wire frame has ripped out of the case. My tumi with a bent frame however got me 100% store credit on the retail value (not trade in but full retail) and i have zero tumi bags in the trash.

Here is how that value proposition will play out.
1) Very infrequent travel and not hard on bags...follow your advice above for the best bang for the buck and it will actually work out fine.
2) Very frequent travel and hard on bags, you will likely spend MORE MONEY buying cheap bags and constantly replacing them than you would if you bought once and bought nice. Trust me..i have tried this both ways and done the math. Also for very frequent travelers, one bag for every trip won't work anyway. If you get really into it you will want a combination of larger bags, small bags, back packs, travel packs, spinners, suiters, duffels, satchels, cross bodies, portfolios, briefs, and underseaters so that you can pick excactly the right tool for the trip you are about to take every time, including some that are water resistant and some that are completely water proof in the mix.

Flying commuter airlines frequently will actually destroy made for pilots Luggage works Stealth 22s in about 24 to 48 months (in some situations according to pilots i've talked to...they can last a few years or a decade but everyone agrees the commuter flights destroy them the fastest). Pelicans cases get destroyed under those circumstances also. Your Costco or Ross bag ain't making it 4 months under those conditions.

Last edited by Allentown; Jun 29, 2019 at 10:59 am
Old Sep 9, 2019, 5:10 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I saw the following two Samnonite 28 suitcases at Winners in Canada. Falkner and Boland. Both with 10 years warranty too. But I have googled and could not find anything on any Samsonite websites.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
OK update of the Falkner and the Boland. Samsonite replied to me that it was Samsonite but special to Winners.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 10:30 am

BA?

Originally Posted by MiraculousM
This is really interesting to find out. I had a samsonite i bought at Ross that died 4 years after i bought it. BA broke the frame but replaced it with a samsonite off the website.. which, ironically, lasted 2 long haul flights before it broke (first the plastic that holds the bits together on the way there broke then on the way back, the case arrived with massive cracks).. BA replaced that one too.
I think know what BA stands for but considering they replaced your luggage I would love to make sure…do you mean BritishAirways? If so I’m so jealous. American Airlines do not (to my experience) ever do that for us! Anyone else ever had an airline admit fault and actually replace your luggage?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.