Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Odd Samsonite lines at Ross

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2010, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N1120A
Costco's warranty is the best you will find for anything, anywhere. Additionally, they generally only market well made products under their own Kirkland Signature brand. There are, however, significant problems with KS luggage specifically. First, the 22" roll-aboard is known to actually measure 23.5 inches high. That will create major problems anywhere they ask to measure your bag. Second, KS luggage tends to be heavy for its size, which creates problems both in Europe, where there are limitations on the specific weight of carry-on luggage, and when people want to check bags and are limited to 50 pounds or 20 kilos. If the bag already weighs 20 pounds, you have significantly limited what you can carry without being extorted by the airline.
I mostly agree with you and just remeasured a 6+ year old Kirkland "22 inch" wheelie at 23 inch and a two month old Kirkland wheelie at 22 3/4 inch. Add 1/2 in for the top handle which doesnt show up in the airport sizers. Both have fit into every airport sizer tried in NA, SA and Europe. I agree they are 1-2 lb heavier than most cheap units but I attribute that to a sturdy design. Only twice was one rejected because it was over 20 kg (I thought the agent said a max of 18 kg was allowed in my B735 two weeks ago CPH-PRG) outta mucho hundreds of flights over the years. I fretted less about checking this $100 Kirkland than my now little-used $600 Tumi. The new unit fit into the CPH sizer last week allowing me to take it aboard and make a very close connection at ATL (my flight took-off 90 min late) and not be stuck at ATL overnight. I entered the plane at ATL exactly 12 min before they closed the doors and found an empty spot for the wheelie above my FC seat in 4C.

MisterNice
Old Mar 26, 2014, 11:43 am

I just bought a Samsonite 25" roller at Ross for $75. Last week I bought my husband one at Macy's for $275. Both look very similar but they have slight differences and different names too. But the BIG difference is that the Ross one has a toxic, noxious suitcase smell that I have smelled on suitcases that I have bought from China. AND I'm allergic to that smell. Very disappointed.
Old May 1, 2014, 5:33 pm

I picked up a Samsonite Controll 2 from JCP recently. Same situation as the OP, couldn't find much info about it...I suspect it's made/marketed soley for JCP
Old Jan 23, 2016, 10:33 am

Samsonite Ross Luggage

I just bought a Samsonite carry-on at Ross. Tag name is 21" Atrium DLX. Like others who bought Samsonite luggage at Ross then tried to find information on line, I could not find any information about this bag. I like the size, it's a spinner and rolls nicely, but I really don't know how to judge it's quality.

Anyone else purchased this bag?
Old Jan 24, 2016, 12:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Sandys123
I just bought a Samsonite carry-on at Ross. Tag name is 21" Atrium DLX. Like others who bought Samsonite luggage at Ross then tried to find information on line, I could not find any information about this bag. I like the size, it's a spinner and rolls nicely, but I really don't know how to judge it's quality.

Anyone else purchased this bag?
Out of curiosity (I think this may be the same bag a friend got over the holidays) , I googled 'atrium dlx' and got a couple reviews on larger sizes. You may want to take a look for yourself.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 1:16 pm

I found one negative review for the larger size bag. This is all I could find. It prompted me to look for more opinions/reviews.

Has your friend used his bag? If so, what does he think of the it?

Thanks,
Sandy
Old Jan 25, 2016, 1:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Sandys123
I found one negative review for the larger size bag. This is all I could find. It prompted me to look for more opinions/reviews.

Has your friend used his bag? If so, what does he think of the it?

Thanks,
Sandy
No, she won't use it for a couple more months. The price was right and she assumed 'Samsonite' was a good name. Like you, she got the 22" size. I haven't actually seen or handled the bag myself.

Honestly, if you're pretty sure you won't have to check it or haul it over curbs and cobblestones, I think you'll be fine. If my friend has any issues with her bag, I will post back here.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I am big on buying "decent" items for under $100. Not buying lifetime guarantee stuff in the hundreds or even a $1,000. Stuff wears out, gets dirty and you get tired of it.

As to matching the model number. With all the online shopping, etc many companies make things with different names for different companies. Same or almost same, but different name to make comparison shopping difficult.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 3:23 pm

No Stress Here,

I agree with your thoughts on not spending hundreds of dollars on things like luggage. I like the bag and will keep it. Actually, it's probably better quality than my current carry-on bag that I have for around 10 years. I'll give that bag to my husband. I just wanted a spinner, since the airplane aisles have gotten so narrow.

Your around the world trip looks great!
Old Jan 28, 2016, 6:14 pm

If you're not very hard on luggage, it's probably fine. My husband had a Samsonite checked spinner that we bought from TJ Maxx and it got destroyed in 2 trips. I took it to my trusty luggage repair guy (who does Samsonite warranty work) and he said that Samsonite makes special cheaper lines for sale at Marshalls, Ross & TJ Maxx. He said that if you want Samsonite, you should buy it from a luggage retailer or a Macy's, etc. He also said that Tumi & Victorinox are safe to buy from Marshalls & TJ Maxx because they are closeouts, not cheaper made lines.

Again, if you're using it as a carry-on, you've got more control than with checked luggage, and you're probably fine.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 5:32 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Another source for cheap 'better' name brands is Sierra Trading Post, which is now owned by TJ Maxx. They're one of those sites clearing out discontinued models (see also- The Clymb and Left Lane Sorts for that kind of thing) and as a bonus will send out a 30-35% off coupon to people on their mailing list about once every 7-14 days.

Today's special- 30% off orders of $100 for people on the mailing list; 25% off everything for big game Sunday. Shipping today is $0.99 for most orders and free for over $100.

I'm eyeing some Eagle Creek for less than $100 after discount right now.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 5:42 pm

Great thread! I feel a little betrayed by Samsonite! Am I alone?!

I've bought a Torrington 21" spinner and while googling to find specs I came across this forum! Does anyone have/had it?!
Old Sep 26, 2016, 12:12 am

Same issue. Different names to avoid merchant complaints.

Just had the same issue looking for a Samsonite 21" spinner that I just bought at Ross. I do not think these cases are 'seconds' or made just for a discount outlet. Like mattress manufacturers, Samsonite makes identical suitcases but names them differently for different merchants... that way Macy's (or their customers) cannot complain that Macy's is overcharging for the exact same case with the exact same name. And Macy's is OK with Samsonite selling the same case to discounter Ross AS LONG AS it has a different name and will not be in direct competition. For outlets like Ross, with a high turnover, inconsistent inventory, and no website sales, the unique model names of their cases are invisible to Google... On the other hand stores like Gap DO manufacture inferior items just to sell at their outlet stores (using cheaper fabrics and cheaper construction) BUT they usually name them exactly the same as the original higher quality merch to fool you. The Samsonite spinner I just bought at Ross looks well made with quality material and construction. Enjoy your case!
Old Nov 26, 2018, 3:28 pm

Samsonite at Ross

I'm so glad I found this thread. I went to Ross yesterday and saw the Yarmouth line. They only had the 29" and 24" size but I wanted a 29" and 21" as a set. I've been googling "Samsonite Yarmouth" to see if anyone had it online but couldn't find anything. I'll have to check all my local Ross stores. Bummer.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:13 am

Samsonite from Ross

Glad I found this forum. I've just purchased a three piece luggage set at Ross. It's labelled as Samsonite Cherry Hill DLX. I could not find this anywhere. I bought the 20", 24" and 28" spinner. I really liked that it has the dual wheels (8 wheels per suitcase) and that they were expandable. It came in a nice light grey which will be easy to spot at the airport. Hoping this will last me awhile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.