Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Backpacks in Professional Settings - Faux Pas?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2013, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT

Hi everyone,

I'm a strategy consultant (in health insurance) and travel a ton for work for on-site meetings and visits. In terms of my work dress, 90% of the time I'm in either suit or jacket. I've alternated work bags between a Tumi Slim Brief and a Jack Spade Black messenger bag for at least the past three years. For a recent client, I've been carrying A LOT of documents and have switched to a solid black Patagonia Refugio bag (http://www.zappos.com/patagonia-refu...fcTest=fcl%3A0).

I have to say, for better or for worse, I have fallen in love with the backpack instead of a brief! Even though I'm very much an athletic 20-something, I think the backpack has to be way better for my body in terms of ergonomics. It's also much better for carrying around airports and easier to access in an airplane row.

I'm curious to know what the ever-so-opinionated FTers think of backpacks in the workplace? I definitely catch myself in airport mirrors, and I'm always torn. Do I look like a dork? Do people care? In terms of personal comfort, it can't be beat.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts...
Old Jul 7, 2013, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by palmetto86
I have to say, for better or for worse, I have fallen in love with the backpack instead of a brief! Even though I'm very much an athletic 20-something, I think the backpack has to be way better for my body in terms of ergonomics. It's also much better for carrying around airports and easier to access in an airplane row.
Good backpacks definitely beat any other means of carrying the same weight.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 9:14 pm

I don't think bagpacks work well with suits. As in most cases, you can be either comfortable or elegant, but it's very hard to find a middleground.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

definitely common these days, not sure if there is a "dollar figure" (suit / clients / etc) or its specific industries (ok and not) - and probably not outside the US

there must be discussion on this on FT
Old Jul 7, 2013, 10:14 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
I bought the Eagle Creek Heritage Checkpoint bag earlier this year and feel it is dressy enough to wear with my button down and slacks. Not sure about a suit, but I would check it out. A lot easier to travel with than my Tumi Alpha laptop bag.

http://shop.eaglecreek.com/heritage-...k/d/1219_c_116
Old Jul 7, 2013, 10:34 pm

After a shoulder injury that made neither backpack nor shoulder bag nor hand-carried briefcase a good option, I went the rolling briefcase route. Pros: looks professional, doesn't mess up your suit, sturdy enough that I feel comfortable putting my laptop in the overhead, and you can cram a ton of stuff into it. Cons: not so great trying to haul it around with another piece of roll-aboard luggage, feeling like a wimp dragging one if you're young and fit (or just look it).
Old Jul 7, 2013, 10:43 pm

Seems a little more prevalent on the US west coast than on the east coast.

Probably more acceptable in non-professional services, but lawyers and accountant are too stuffy anyway. What would you think if you doctor that still made house calls showed up with a backpack instead of a medicine bag? interesting....
Old Jul 8, 2013, 5:28 am

It seems pretty common now-a-days but IMO and as far as fashion goes, it doesn't give it that sharp feel compared to a suit and brief/messenger bag. However, if you do decide to go that backpack route, make sure your shoulders are back, stand straight, and look confident. Posture is HALF of fashion! Take it from me, i'm a metrosexual physical therapist
Old Jul 8, 2013, 6:41 am

Definitely not professional. But much better to do it with a solid black backpack designed for business than one with lots of compression straps, ice ax loops, daisey chains, dual side mesh water bottle pockets, etc.

Have to admit I chuckle every time I see a guy in a suit with a backpack with "The North Face" or the like plastered right across the back.

Take a look at Tumi, Briggs & Riley, etc. -- they have lines designed to wear with a suit.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by fwoomp
After a shoulder injury that made neither backpack nor shoulder bag nor hand-carried briefcase a good option, I went the rolling briefcase route. Pros: looks professional, doesn't mess up your suit, sturdy enough that I feel comfortable putting my laptop in the overhead, and you can cram a ton of stuff into it. Cons: not so great trying to haul it around with another piece of roll-aboard luggage, feeling like a wimp dragging one if you're young and fit (or just look it).
The trick is to match the rolling briefcase with a non-rolling soft bag, such as a convertible style backpack or Air Boss. My backpack holds as much as my 22" roller, weighs 3 lbs. empty, and rolls along happily on top of my small roller bag.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 7:15 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by JackInThePlane
Seems a little more prevalent on the US west coast than on the east coast.

Probably more acceptable in non-professional services, but lawyers and accountant are too stuffy anyway. What would you think if you doctor that still made house calls showed up with a backpack instead of a medicine bag? interesting....
I am a lawyer and reckon the clients have never yet hired me for sartorial reasons, and care little about my choice of bag. I would not be using the rucksack from an expedition though! They know I am flying to them for the meeting and that I am usually on an overnight trip.

I have used the Red Oxx Sky Train in "mariner" colour for a few years, and value it's adaptability. http://www.redoxx.com/sky-train/91019/product

I can travel with it as a rucksack, and if necessary pack away the twin shoulderstraps in their compartment and use it with the single over-shoulder strap or just as a soft briefcase with the central handle (if it is not too heavy). I keep the work stuff in one compartment and my travelling stuff in another, so that if I have to open it spare socks etc are not falling out!

Mainly I just leave the shoulder straps out.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 7:26 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Marriott Premier Plat
I think it is not too professional with suits, but that doesn't stop me, especially when traveling. The comfort factor far outweighs the "dork" factor
Old Jul 8, 2013, 7:49 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by wxlvr
I think it is not too professional with suits, but that doesn't stop me, especially when traveling. The comfort factor far outweighs the "dork" factor
Amen to that
Old Jul 8, 2013, 9:00 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Agree with others - comfort and utility outweigh fashion for me. I won't be running around with a Jansport or North Face backpack (any more than I'd be caught dragging around an Under Armour/Nike/Reebok/Adidas duffle bag on business trips - seriously, that red $30 bag you bought at Sports Authority is pretty tacky), but a decent black business-oriented backpack is a good enough compromise for me.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 9:12 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I ride the train into Manhattan every morning with thousands of my closest friends saying out good byes in Grand Central.

There are many many people, both men and woman, carrying backpacks or book bags. They seem to fall into two categories.

There are those who buy whatever is available, like me for example. I don't need to put out an air of whatever in my choice, a pack is just to get something from point A to point B. The LL Bean Outlook Canoe full of returned bags that were monogramed works just fine for me. It's blue, it's simple, and as luck would have it, whoever NMS was put their initials on in the same color as the bag, so you can't even read it.

The other group is those carrying Tumi or Victronix and they look very professional. While they can be worn, they can also be carried with the straps tucked away and not look at all like a pack or bag. Other than when walking into the client, does it really matter what you look like? Even when you walk in, I don't think many people would care what kind of bag you have as long as it looks somewhat professional and not like you salvaged a camo hunting bag from your grandfather.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.