Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Shaving on the road - Methods, reviews and observations

Shaving on the road - Methods, reviews and observations

Old Apr 8, 09, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up Shaving on the road - Methods, reviews and observations

http://onebagger.squarespace.com/blo...comment3636220

The above link will take you to an article (and subsequent comments) I wrote about shaving that includes a review of the King of Shaves Shaving Oil (great), the KoS Azor wet razor (bad), the Schick Quattro Titanium with Trimmer razor (yes, baby!), and observations on mixing different shaving methods and implements, as well as how well they are suited for the traveling man (and woman to some extent).

I hope this will be helpful for some and perhaps learn from your feedback of what you use and which methods work best for you.

Till
Old Apr 10, 09, 10:48 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Electric shaver - faster, and no need to carry shaving cream.
Old Apr 10, 09, 10:55 am
Senior Moderator/Moderator: United MileagePlus

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow in our Travel Products forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Apr 10, 09, 12:36 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Platinum & MM; AA dirt; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold; & some other useless titles
My strategy is a hybrid approach when I'm traveling. I carry a Norelco rechargeable electric razor, and a disposable Gillette Custom Plus.

While the Norelco is probably the best electric I've owned, it still doesn't perform like a manual razor. Five O'Clock shadow is a problem. What I've done to minimize this is to use the Gillette disposable immediately after the Norelco. I use whatever soap (shampoo also works well) is around to slick up my face, and take a couple of passes with the Gillette. Since my face is already pretty smooth after the Norelco, this takes less than a minute, and I've yet to cut myself. Final result of this hybrid system is superior to a regular manual shave with quality shaving creme.

The cheap disposable lasts probably 25+ shaves, since it is not taking much abuse.
Old Apr 10, 09, 1:27 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Thanks to one of the get a free razor threads way back, I've totally switched over to the Gillette Fusion razor. It so easily beats any other razor, electric or not, that I've used. Caswell-Massey makes some really great travel sized shaving soaps and creams and oils. I actually use the same setup at home, just full sized.

But the fusion razor made a significant difference to me, I use to hate shaving and pretty much skipped every other day, it's not an issue anymore.
Old Apr 10, 09, 1:34 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
If I'm traveling and doing business on the same day, I usually shave with a Mach 3 at home the night before and touch up with an electric right before landing that day. The rest of the time I'm away from home I continue to use the electric unless I have an important function, then I use a Sensor 3 disposable and whatever cream the hotel front desk has... I've actually found the cheap paraffin wax based shave cream most hotel front desks does an extremely good job and isn't full of soap that can cause chapping when the skin dries.
Old Apr 10, 09, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by cordelli View Post
Thanks to one of the get a free razor threads way back, I've totally switched over to the Gillette Fusion razor. It so easily beats any other razor, electric or not, that I've used. Caswell-Massey makes some really great travel sized shaving soaps and creams and oils. I actually use the same setup at home, just full sized.

But the fusion razor made a significant difference to me, I use to hate shaving and pretty much skipped every other day, it's not an issue anymore.
I've had the opposite experience with the Fusion compared to the Mach 3... the Fusion can get a bit closer but I also get A LOT more nicks and cuts compared to the Mach 3 or Sensor 3 disposable.
Old Apr 10, 09, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Isleofman, I like your idea about shaving the night before and touching up with an electric. I might try that when the occasion presents itself. However, in terms of light travel I always try to keep weight and bulk in mind, so the electric usually loses, as you can see from the link in my post above.

The Fusion is a so-so affair. Yes it is a close shave, and also a smooth shave. However, five blades are just not easy to maneuver in the difficult areas and the single blade is a bit rough. I seriously find the Schick Titanium Quattro gives as close a shave, is at least as smooth (non-irritating), is easier to maneuver AND the blades are $1.50 per blade instead of $2.50 or more for the Fusion. Also, the blades are made in Germany which, as a German, I find funny.

I still think that the two blade Sensor Excel I have used for years is an excellent razor. But it's blades are as expensive as the Schick blades and the Schick gives a somewhat closer shave while being even smoother on the skin. So the Schick wins this game for me. It's additional trimmer function is great for travel, too.

Till
Old Apr 10, 09, 9:40 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Platinum & MM; AA dirt; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold; & some other useless titles
Originally Posted by tfar View Post
I still think that the two blade Sensor Excel I have used for years is an excellent razor.
I agree that this is a first rate razor. This is my primary product for home use. I buy them from GreatRazors.com, which cryogenically tempers them to last longer. Been using this firm for six or seven years, and maybe I'm being sold a bunch of hooey, but I'm absolutely convinced they last over twice as long as the Sensor Excels I buy at CVS. Consequently the effective cost per razor is under $1.25 vs. regular ones which come to about $1.60 with sales tax.

The Gillette Custom Pivot Plus I mentioned earlier is a fine travel razor. A couple of times a year Amazon has a $10 off a $39 Gillette order promo, which brings the cost of the Pivot Plus to around 46-50 cents each.
Old Apr 11, 09, 3:41 am

Programs: Delta PM,UA 1P,
I use an electric on the road (Braun ) but always keep a few cheap disposables in my kit. And when I say cheap I mean 10/1.00 cheap. Use once and toss
Old Apr 11, 09, 5:45 am
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Wirelessly posted (Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448)

Mach 3 is my choice....
Old Apr 12, 09, 12:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca View Post
Electric shaver - faster, and no need to carry shaving cream.
Who needs shave cream? Not me anymore. While in AKL last year I came upon a Mennen shave soap that's roughly the same size as a roll of pennies so travels light and lathers up really well and with my Gilette Sensor Excel provides a nice low-tech shave. and travels well.

Being like a bar of soap, the original wrapper it came in quickly came apart but improvised and not have it in an unused pill bottle that's the same size as my other toiletries in my ziploc bag.
Old Apr 12, 09, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
Who needs shave cream? Not me anymore. While in AKL last year I came upon a Mennen shave soap that's roughly the same size as a roll of pennies so travels light and lathers up really well and with my Gilette Sensor Excel provides a nice low-tech shave. and travels well.

Being like a bar of soap, the original wrapper it came in quickly came apart but improvised and not have it in an unused pill bottle that's the same size as my other toiletries in my ziploc bag.
If I understand it correctly, it is shave soap, so it is solid. You wouldn't even need to put it in the baggie for TSA. Personally, I have two separate baggies. One with liquids for TSA and one with solids and gear (toothbrush, razor, comb). Depending on the shave soap you don't even need a brush to create a lather. Rub it on your stubble and foam up with the fingertips. Tabac by Maurer and Wirtz is really good for that, too. To save on weight you can even cut the stick in half. It is extremely economic and provides a great shave i.e. not second class compromise by even the highest standards.

The winner in overall lightweight/no bulk is still a good shave oil, though (see my original link).

Till
Old Apr 12, 09, 9:37 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
If I'm traveling with checked baggage, I take my Weishi double edge safety razor with Japanese "Feather" blades.

If I'm going carry on only, I use a disposable single blade (bic metal). Multi-blade razors are a gimmick and promote in-grown hairs.

Also, for cream, I use a Shave stick (shaving soap in convenient stick form factor) from Tabac or Speick. Finally I use a small best badger hair brush from Crabtree & Evelyn.

I have yet to find an electric razor (new Panasonic included) that shaves my face to my satisfaction.
Old Apr 12, 09, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by tfar View Post
If I understand it correctly, it is shave soap, so it is solid. You wouldn't even need to put it in the baggie for TSA. Personally, I have two separate baggies. One with liquids for TSA and one with solids and gear (toothbrush, razor, comb).
I have the same two bag policy for toiletries but keep the pill bottle with the shave soap in with the other liquids more for my convenience than TSA concerns as the other liquids are in very similar size plastic containers and it packs well to keep like size with like size.

I found here in Canada a company called Cromwell & Cruthers that makes shave oil that gets rave reviews from some friends I know ho've tried it so think I'll give it a go. There's a little more about the product here:

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...34374302861413

Last edited by tcook052; Jul 2, 09 at 6:25 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: