Wiki Posts
Search

Recommend me a good travel set for heavy traveling

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2009, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON Circle, Premier M&M World MC, UA MP
Recommend me a good travel set for heavy traveling

I just recently went through another travel set I bought and would like something that will last more than a few years. I travel over 300'000 actual miles a year on a plane, and am on trains/buses afterwards with luggage quite frequently.

I'm pretty rough with my luggage, and frequently toss [sic] them on a train, or in the trunk of my car, or rentals.

I'm not worried about price, I'm worried about durability. I don't want anything special and in my mind, more working parts = more things to break. So, let's keep it simple. I've heard Tumi is good, but past that, I'm ignorant on the topic.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
For wheeled luggage "Briggs and Riley" is as good as Tumi but comes with a much better warranty (lifetime, covers all damage including airline caused, not just manufacturing defects). I would pick their Baseline series, non-expandable models. Expanding ones are a little heavier. They come in 28", 26", 24", and a couple of carry-on sizes.

Another similar brand is Boyt.

If you don't care for wheels, look no further than Red Oxx. Incredible quality, lifetime warranty, and the unmatched choice of 12 colors!

For carry ons, I actually don't like wheels (they reduce packing space while increasing the weight) preferring old-fashioned shoulder straps instead: Briggs Riley as well as Red Oxx offer great options. Red Oxx also offers a convertible which has the option of being carried like a back-pack.

These brands have another advantage: They are known to travel enthusiasts but are virtually unknown among thieves. OTOH Tumi, Victorinox or even lesser quality brands liks Travelpro, Delsey or known designer names have a way of whispering "steal me" to anyone who looks.

Last edited by aktchi; Jan 18, 2009 at 10:11 pm
Old Jan 18, 2009, 10:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by aktchi
For wheeled luggage "Briggs and Riley" is as good as Tumi but comes with a much better warranty (lifetime, covers all damage including airline caused, not just manufacturing defects). I would pick their Baseline series, non-expandable models. Expanding ones are a little heavier. They come in 28", 26", 24", and a couple of carry-on sizes.

Another similar brand is Boyt.

If you don't care for wheels, look no further than Red Oxx. Incredible quality, lifetime warranty, and the unmatched choice of 12 colors!

For carry ons, I actually don't like wheels as they reduce packing space while increasing the weight. Instead I prefer old-fashinoed bags with shoulder straps: either Briggs Riley or Red Oxx will be fine. Red Oxx also have a convertible.

These brands have another intangible advantage: They are known to travel enthusiasts but are virtually unknown among thieves. OTOH Tumi, Victorinox or even lesser quality brands liks Travelpro, Delsey or known designer names have a way of whispering "steal me" to anyone who looks.

Thats about it. Briggs and Riley and Red Oxx. As an indication, last time I checked B&R was cheaper than Tumi, had a better warranty and had nearly twice the fiber count (indication of material thickness/strength) as Tumi. As far as I am concerned you can stop there
Old Jan 18, 2009, 10:29 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Another vote for Briggs and Riley^
Old Jan 18, 2009, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by abcxyz
I just recently went through another travel set I bought and would like something that will last more than a few years. I travel over 300'000 actual miles a year on a plane, and am on trains/buses afterwards with luggage quite frequently.

I'm pretty rough with my luggage, and frequently toss [sic] them on a train, or in the trunk of my car, or rentals.

I'm not worried about price, I'm worried about durability. I don't want anything special and in my mind, more working parts = more things to break. So, let's keep it simple. I've heard Tumi is good, but past that, I'm ignorant on the topic.
True for BR and Red Oxx. Eagle Creek also has VERY sturdy luggage. It looks more leisure than business but it also comes with a warranty like BR and is lighter (usually). The Platinum5 series by Travelpro has a life-time warranty that also covers airline damage.

I think BR rolling bags have the wheelcart assembly on the outside. This does give you a smooth inside packing space but it also makes that space smaller. In addition the outside assembly is more prone to damage. If you are a smart packer, you will simply put stuff like underwear and tees in between the poles. This levels your packing space and uses it optimally.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Thanks everybody. I'll go with B&R.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 8:23 am

Thanks everybody. I'll go with B&R.
Great choice. I realize that you said money wasn't a big issue, but B&R are having one of their infrequent sales on discontinued styles. You can order any B&R luggage direct at Briggs-Riley.com.

Colors are generally "basic male": black, olive, etc. This is where Red Oxx (redoxx.com) shines as long as you can skip the wheels; it is meant for terrains where wheels wouldn't work anyway, but buy a luggage cart if you like and you are in business! Both B&R and Red Oxx are extremely well made and offer no-nonsense warranties.

In the olden days airlines allowed 70LB per bag and I used to buy a 28"-29" and a 26" (different sizes so I can store one inside the other). However, in the new 50LB era, I stay with 26" and 24". I avoid expandability which makes the bag a tad heavier, tempts you to pack over the limit, and unbalances the bag. My idea of expandability is to throw a light duffle at the bottom of my suitcase, it can then be used as an extra bag if needed otherwise as a laundry bag or just left alone. Of course, just my thoughts, YMMV. Happy and safe travels!

Last edited by aktchi; Jan 19, 2009 at 8:31 am
Old Jan 19, 2009, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Yes, I noticed the sale, too, thanks.

I prefer basic colours; doesn't draw attention. I usually use a black bag cover, too. Do you know if B&R has these?

I'll order this afternoon when I am in CT.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by tfar
The Platinum5 series by Travelpro has a life-time warranty that also covers airline damage.
Just out of curiosity, is Platinum5 supposed to be above or below Crew 7?
Old Jan 19, 2009, 8:40 am

I prefer basic colours; doesn't draw attention. I usually use a black bag cover, too. Do you know if B&R has these?
I don't use them and therefore don't know. I hope someone else here will have the answer, Or try B&R's phone reps.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Another vote for Briggs and Riley^
+1

I bought my first B&R this year and I will never look back.
I already had to use the warranty since the UA damaged the bag, and it was a piece of cake.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Eagle Creek offers a couple of lines that have the no exceptions warranty.

Solid stuff and much lighter weight than the B&R, Tumi and Victorinox gang.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 9:30 pm
Original Member

Bought my first BR about 5 years ago. Doubt I will be buying anything else from here on. Damn good bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.