Wiki Posts
Search

Tumi 22" T-Tech Blk Expand. $350 MSRP is $199 at Costco

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2009, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Tumi 22" T-Tech Blk Expand. $350 MSRP is $199 at Costco

Friends,

Spotted and bought a 22" Tumi T-Tech Black Expandable bag at Costco.

This is their item 05622D and is Costco #338352. The tag shows $350 MSRP and I paid $199 + Tax.

My Costco in San Jose, CA had it. Specifically, it was warehouse #1004, located near I-680 and Hostetter road.

My 10-year-old TravelPro Platinum had been giving me some issues with a stuck handle that's already been repaired once, so I figure the TP can go with the in-laws on their next trip (one-way)...

This location had the bags in the standard luggage aisle, next to the hair dryers and irons. They had about 20 bags on the shelf, not counting any that may be on pallets way up that I didn't spot...

I suspect the economy along with the new smaller size requirements being imposed by the airlines are helping make this deal possible.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 6:40 pm

Thanks! gonna check this out at my local Costco - I was looking for a deal on something like this.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't get the T-Tech line, and would never spend any money on it. If you are going to get luggage at that price range, just get the generic Costco stuff. The T-Tech line never impressed me, and the quality just feels so much below the "regular" Tumi stuff.

That it ends up at Costco just makes it seem even cheaper. Also keep in mind that the warranty on T-Tech is not as long as their normal lineup.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Even if the T-Tech warranty is crap, I will just return it to Costco if it ever breaks

High fives all around!!
Old Jul 13, 2009, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Lots of great Briggs and Riley stuff being discontinued. The following link shows carry-ons around $200, but you can search other sizes too - http://www.google.com/products?q=bri...l=en&scoring=p

Boyt is another good option - http://www.google.com/products?q=boy...l=en&scoring=p
Old Jul 14, 2009, 1:18 am
Original Poster

I want the expandable version of this B&R 18" but there ain't nobody willing to make a deal
Old Jul 14, 2009, 10:35 am

I prefer non-expandables for many reasons, and luckily those happen to be on sale at present. Expandable ones are around $300; you'll have to wait for a deal.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Why you prefer the non-expandable?
Old Jul 14, 2009, 10:35 pm

juanvaldez: Expandable bags are heavier and as you are discovering, also more expensive. The mechanism (usually a zipper) would be an extra vulnerable weak point in the fabric, one more thing to go wrong if the bag came under unusual stress. (This criticism can also be leveled against wheeled bags: less room, greater weight, higher cost, more things that can break.)

Expandability would tempt me to overpack, it can unbalance the bag when I do overpack, and it can push the bag's size/weight over allowed limits.

I have never felt any need to expand my carry-ons, they are as big and heavy as either I or the airlines would want them to be.

For checked luggage, my idea of expandability is to carry a lightweight duffel, which can be pressed as extra bag if needed, otherwise it serves as a laundry bag. However, I can do this as I only check one bag.

Last edited by aktchi; Jul 15, 2009 at 7:42 am
Old Jul 17, 2009, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Hi Aktchi,

Thanks for your detailed opinion. Makes sense. Oddly, when I checked the Briggs & Riley specs for the 18" bags, the expandable one is actually 0.2 lbs lighter than the non-expandable. I wonder if it is an error, or perhaps the non-expandable cover is actually made from a heavier material?
Old Jul 17, 2009, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by juanvaldez
Thanks for your detailed opinion. Makes sense. Oddly, when I checked the Briggs & Riley specs for the 18" bags, the expandable one is actually 0.2 lbs lighter than the non-expandable. I wonder if it is an error, or perhaps the non-expandable cover is actually made from a heavier material?
Could be anything. I would call B&R to be sure. If this does turn out to be true and the price difference was acceptable, I'd buy the lighter bag and just not use the expandable feature.

However, do call B&R. You can't always trust info at luggage shops. For example, here is a wheeled expandable 20" Tumi that supposedly weighs 2 oz: http://www.ebags.com/tumi/ravello_20...LAID=162013106
Old Jul 18, 2009, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Unfortunately, the info is coming from B&R's own website, so I'm not sure it's worth calling them since they might refer to the same spec sheet...

Originally Posted by aktchi
Could be anything. I would call B&R to be sure. If this does turn out to be true and the price difference was acceptable, I'd buy the lighter bag and just not use the expandable feature.

However, do call B&R. You can't always trust info at luggage shops. For example, here is a wheeled expandable 20" Tumi that supposedly weighs 2 oz: http://www.ebags.com/tumi/ravello_20...LAID=162013106
Old Jul 19, 2009, 8:04 am

If you must have wheels but the weight is an issue, Landor and Hawa claim to make the lightest wheeled luggage, recommended here by Till (and perhaps others, my apologies if I forget your names):

http://www.johnsluggage.com/product/...ub-zero-g.html
http://www.johnsluggage.com/product/...5-upright.html

This link is to a randomly chosen luggage shop, but the bags are available at many retailers.

I have no personal experience but suspect these won't necessarily be up to the B&R quality. However, a carry-on remains in your own care and does not suffer as much abuse as checked luggage and does not have to be that sturdy. IOW one could reasonably take the chance with a carry-on. If you decide to do that, please report your experience here!

Last edited by aktchi; Jul 19, 2009 at 3:55 pm
Old Jul 19, 2009, 3:27 pm

Thanks, aktchi.

Also just look up this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...carry-bag.html

Crumble recommends a German bag, the Travelite. You will find a discussion of both bags in that thread.

I checked it out and it looks excellent. Better and sturdier than the Sub-0 with a better design. Plus it is still a little bit lighter even.

When I saw the Sub-0 yesterday in a shop I liked the material but felt it was still a flimsy deal and I really didn't like the handle that is very large and sits in the sides. It also doesn't lock.

That said, the T-Tech at Costco for $200 is probably a fair deal yet not an outrageously good deal. Outrageously good for me starts at 60% off.

Till
Old Jul 20, 2009, 9:20 am

Travelite looks very interesting, but they seem to have too many lines and my first visit to their website was just overwhelming.

This is a promising brand. We'd have to get to know their lineup and slowly figure out which of their products is best for carry-on (can take some liberty with sturdiness in the interest of light weight) and which for checked luggage.

All experiences, information, and opinions are naturally appreciated.

I am not sure if there is a US distribution. Too bad I am not passing through an EU country in the near future.

PS. For my taste, I have given up on the current generation of Landor and Hawa Sub-0 bags. If they redesign the handles etc., I'll look at them again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.