Lightest carry-on bag

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2009, 7:24 pm
Community Director Emerita

I bought the following from A Saks:

20" wheeled duffle
AE 16 expandable tote

I bought from overstock.com.

I really appreciate Till bringing the brand to my attention in this thread. The cases aren't perfect, but they are pretty darn good. I've used them for two trips of 10 days or more. At that point, I check the roller duffle as I've really managed to stuff a lot into it and it becomes a bit beefy for the overhead compartment. However, it's great to get by on luggage that compact and light for such lengthy trips.

The tote has a strap so that it can slide over the handle of the wheeled bag. Because of the light weight bag, there's not a lot of weight on my wrist when I am pulling the stacked bags. The tote's handles unsnap and snap into each other to form a long shoulder strap. It's pretty effective except that the velcro on the strap has managed to snag delicate blouse material. Because I've checked the roller on several flights, I'm sure I'll reduce its life. On the very first flight, a bit of plastic snapped that was to hold in a clip. I used black duct tape to repair it. You can't see it, and it works fine. I didn't bother to return the bag to the manufacturer, I was that happy with the duct tape repair. And the fabric of the case shows no sign of damage from checking it, a concern of mine given the very thin fabric. The cases lack any inherent structure of their own, other than the roller base for the duffle and about half of the back. I haven't yet taken them on a short 2 or 3 day trip, and am unsure how they will work without sufficient contents to fill them.

I used my Landor-Hawa ultralite case this weekend. I needed to pack a couple dresses for events, and liked having a more structured bag. I will use the two types of bags for different packing, and am happy to own both.

Thanks, Till, for making me aware of both.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 9:55 pm

Sd1k, you are most welcome. I will probably buy the AE21 for myself as an overflow tote. It tried to fit the Easygoing carry-on into my 22" Plat5. Well, that was stupid of me. How did I think that a bag that had almost the same exterior dimensions would fit in there? The AE21 is much more pliable. Funny enough the TX2 did fit bur filled out most of the cavity of the Plat5 and is heavy as all out. I have a couple of trips within Europe (Zurich, Venice, Paris all starting from Berlin with different carriers) coming up. So I wanted to beat the 8kg limit. I might try to use my mothers Mandarina Duck pilot case shoulder bag but with the Plat5 the 8kg limit is almost impossible to beat. I can simply check the bag, though. No extra cost. Just would have liked to avoid that for the time savings and the lesser risk of damage or loss. Well, I got one LH, one Swiss and one Air Berlin flight. We'll see how they do.

It is good to hear bag (pun intended) from those who bought the A. Saks. I think the brand had been under-appreciated but so far the feedback has been good and that might change things.

Till
Old Oct 27, 2009, 7:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by crumble
Myself, I'm a happy owner of the following bags:

With wheels: Travelite Delite Trolley, 34 x 54 x 22 cm, 2 kg
http://www.worldshop.eu/products/pro...=1228486813925

Without wheels: Tough Traveler "Tri-Zip", 50 X 32.5 X 22.5 cm, 1.5 kg
http://www.toughtraveler.com/lug/carryon.asp
tough traveler features good travelling bags. i've been going to different stores now and i haven't found a bag that's soothes me. these travel bags look durable enough. thanks for the information!
Old Oct 28, 2009, 1:02 am

What is the weight of the A Saks 20" wheeled duffle?
Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by lavedder
What is the weight of the A Saks 20" wheeled duffle?
One spec sheet says 7 lbs. That seems quite high to me. I tried to weigh it, but my scales isn't sufficiently precise.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
A Saks 20" wheeled duffel

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
One spec sheet says 7 lbs. That seems quite high to me. I tried to weigh it, but my scales isn't sufficiently precise.
It is !
I carry a hand-scale around when I'm shopping for luggage and traveling - the 7 lbs for a 20" rolling duffel is high.
Lightweight would be 5 lbs or less.
I have 31" rolling duffels that weight 7 lbs.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 5:05 pm

Lightweight would be 5 lbs or less
I agree. What wheeled bags fall into this category?
Old Oct 28, 2009, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K: since 2010
Originally Posted by lavedder
I agree. What wheeled bags fall into this category?
I bought a Sub-0-G two months ago, and have used it so far on three international flights to Europe and Africa. It is holding up quite well, and I'm pleased with the performance and the lighter weight (under 5 lbs). Purchase cost was ~$80.00.

Check back through this thread for more information about this bag.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 5:15 pm

I own both bags, the 20" duffle A-Saks and the Sub-0-G. My husband weighed them sequentially this morning, and found the Sub-0-G only about 6 ounces lighter than the A-Saks. Mind you, both seem very light - but both weighed in at more than 6 lbs.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K: since 2010
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I own both bags, the 20" duffle A-Saks and the Sub-0-G. My husband weighed them sequentially this morning, and found the Sub-0-G only about 6 ounces lighter than the A-Saks. Mind you, both seem very light - but both weighed in at more than 6 lbs.
I think that your scales may be a bit off. I just weighed my Sub-0-G (three times) using a new hanging luggage scale and keep coming up with 4.8 lbs.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 5:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16)

I was looking around a luggage department in a department store and came across what seemed to be a new, lightweight polycarbonate roller from Samsonite. I didn't have a scale but I was flabbergasted when I picked it up.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
If you want a true ultra light bag

you have to give up the wheels.

LeSportSac has a whole line of totes and weekenders that are super light. I just ordered some from Endless via AA eshopping (12 AA miles per $) that had great prices. I'll use the LeSportSac bags with my RedOxx Sun Chaser for a perfect and wheel free bag experience.

5 pounds is not light! And that's for an empty bag!
Old Dec 23, 2009, 12:00 pm

Smile 3.9 lbs with four wheel carry on

I have walkinbag, carry-on 4 wheel with 3.9 lbs.
It goes under airline seat and pretty sturdy.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 11:08 am

Programs: BA Silver, Club Carlson Concierge, Avis President's Club, SAS Silver
Originally Posted by Doddles
Really useful thread everyone - many thanks!

I popped down to Travel Zone (a luggage shop chain here in the UK) to have a look at the Sub-0-G. I won't add to what's been said already in this thread about that bag - it's all pretty spot on.

When I was there however, I saw this one:
Travel Zone Trolley Case GM7030T

Specs according to the web site are 2.2 kg, 35 x 23 x 50 cm. I picked this and the Sub-0-G up side by side and couldn't notice a weight difference. The GM7030T is slightly lower and slightly deeper. The extra deepness corresponds to the specs, but its lower height must mean that either the GM7030T is less than 50cm, or the Sub-0-G is more than 50cm. Unfortunately I didn't have a tape measure with me.

The GM7030T certainly felt considerably sturdier, and seemed to have nice space (perhaps a little less usable space in the main compartment due to the more central struts) and a few useful external pockets. For GBP 35.00 it's a real contender. I might well buy it tomorrow.
I just dropped into my local Travel Zone branch to pick up a GM7030TN19 following the advice in this thread, and I was delighted to find that they are currently on sale for just GBP 25.00!

I went for the navy blue model, rather than the ubiquitous black, and I am very pleased with the appearance and apparent build-quality. It remains to be seen how long it lasts of course, when I hit the road again for this year, starting next week!

Happy New Year to all!
Old Jan 4, 2010, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Laytona
I have walkinbag, carry-on 4 wheel with 3.9 lbs.
It goes under airline seat and pretty sturdy.
The walkin' bag was indeed missing from the list. It is not without interest, I'd say. However, the opening makes for very unpractical packing. One might rather use the method of having a separate cart and a three-zip carry-on like the Airboss or 235x or whatever else strikes your fancy.

Opec plus Micromover would clock in at even less. But 3.9lb for a roller with four wheels are indeed amazing. I wonder how sturdy it is.

Till

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.