Reload this Page >

Lightest carry-on bag

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lightest carry-on bag

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2013, 3:29 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by AnitaBryant63
Anyone got any suggestions for a backpacker-type backpack that is still small enough to carry on? I saw a couple at Walmart that were made by a company called "Outdoor Products". Any thoughts?
Don't know about the products available through Walmart, but Outdoor Products has generally had very good reviews for its Essential carryon convertible. The product has been sporadically available for about five years but is apparently currently available at CampMor (CampMor slaps its name on the bag, but it's made by OP): http://www.campmor.com/essential-car...i_kw={keyword}.

In addition to those reviews, there was a thread on 1bag1world.com: http://www.1bag1world.com/obow-light...um/post/447354.

And this review at practicalhacks.com: http://www.practicalhacks.com/2009/1...tial-carry-on/.

If you're looking for a true backpack, this isn't it. And there's no guarantee that OP's other products are as good as the Essential. But the bag has gotten good reviews and is so reasonably priced that it can be worth a look. At the most, you're out $30 plus S&H.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Anyone got any suggestions for a backpacker-type backpack that is still small enough to carry on? I saw a couple at Walmart that were made by a company called "Outdoor Products". Any thoughts?
What capacity are you looking for? Do you want a true backpack (ie, proper hip belt) or a hybrid that is generally comfortable as a travel backpack/carry-on?

Osprey is primarily a backpack manufacturer (quality), but they have branched out into travel luggage. You might look at the Osprey Porter. It's pretty much a max-carry-on size (22x14x9, IIRC), but with a modified hip belt and backpack straps so it's reasonably comfortable to wear around to/from the airport or to/from lodging/train station/airport. It isn't designed for backpacking, however.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
Anyone got any suggestions for a backpacker-type backpack that is still small enough to carry on?
Check Hiking backpack as carryon

-------------

ETA: at this moment, the REI Vagabond is on sale at $90.

Last edited by pierre mclopez; Mar 3, 2013 at 10:47 am
Old Mar 7, 2013, 2:04 pm

After more than half a million miles in the air and tens of thousands of km on trains, my Travelite Delite which began this thread has a faulty zip. The rest is still in perfect condition, but the repair estimate is almost the cost of a replacement if I buy on sale.

The original is no longer produced (although my contact in Munich may still sell them; I haven't checked with him)

Does anyone have the newer version?
http://www.amazon.de/Travelite-Bordt...2690024&sr=8-1

I noticed that Next.co.uk also carries some of the Antler superlite items if anyone wants a source.

I'm regretting now not going into the shop a few weeks ago as I stood outside, drooling over the Lipaults which were on end of season sale in Paris.

(Well, the 2.0 version is going quickly out of stock, so I am going to take a leap. This video however of the 1.0 version is really truth in advertising. I'm going to miss my favourite bag and hope that 2.0 wins me over, although the style of 1.0 really grew on me) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U6GrthQtq0

Last edited by exbayern; Mar 7, 2013 at 2:20 pm
Old Mar 7, 2013, 2:35 pm
Community Director Emerita

Let us know what you think about v2. v1 is my go to bag that I faithfully carry on any trip less than 7 days. How does the weight compare between the two versions?
Old Mar 7, 2013, 2:53 pm

The website says that 2.0 is 'lighter and larger' but the weight is listed as 2,3kg which I believe is the same as 1.0. I believe that the 'larger' refers to interior dimensions, not exterior.

Save for some cosmetic changes to the front, I believe that the only change in 2.0 in terms of layout is that the front inner pocket is no longer 2 parts, but one large part. I actually found the divided portion useful. Edited to add: nowhere on the German site or on koffer-direkt do I see that it mentions the expandable option on 1.0 and the photos are not clear if it still has that very useful feature.

I won't receive it until I am back in France week after next but will definitely post a review. Now I just hope that 1.0 makes it home safely; the zipper sometimes sticks and sometimes opens at random places on its own so it's not that safe.

But I just cannot bear to take the Sub-0-G also mentioned on this thread for upcoming travel as the wide handle doesn't accept my Longchamp boarding bag and the wide handle always bumps the back of my thigh. It's also very uncomfortable for train travel and I have quite a few km next week on the train.

But I'll definitely post a review of 2.0!
Old Mar 7, 2013, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by exbayern
The website says that 2.0 is 'lighter and larger' but the weight is listed as 2,3kg which I believe is the same as 1.0. I believe that the 'larger' refers to interior dimensions, not exterior.

Save for some cosmetic changes to the front, I believe that the only change in 2.0 in terms of layout is that the front inner pocket is no longer 2 parts, but one large part. I actually found the divided portion useful. Edited to add: nowhere on the German site or on koffer-direkt do I see that it mentions the expandable option on 1.0 and the photos are not clear if it still has that very useful feature.

[...]
But I'll definitely post a review of 2.0!
The measurements state that it is 38 cm wide instead of 34 cm like v1. Would you please post actual measurements when you get it? Much appreciated!
Old Mar 7, 2013, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by freecia
The measurements state that it is 38 cm wide instead of 34 cm like v1. Would you please post actual measurements when you get it? Much appreciated!
Interesting, good catch. I wonder if that means that the 4cm gained = no expandable section?

I'll definitely post measurements and a review. I'm now anxious to receive it. There are zero in black now that I can find online, and only a few reds in stock. I'll also try and check with my Munich contact to see if he still carries 1.0 and if he stocks 2.0

The LH shops no longer carry the product at all.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 5:28 pm

LH Shop == Lufthansa WorldShop?

They have the black and red online https://www.worldshop.eu/product/tra...lack/1740556?2
https://www.worldshop.eu/product/tra...-Red/1740552?4
Old Mar 7, 2013, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by exbayern
After more than half a million miles in the air and tens of thousands of km on trains, my Travelite Delite which began this thread has a faulty zip. The rest is still in perfect condition, but the repair estimate is almost the cost of a replacement if I buy on sale.

The original is no longer produced (although my contact in Munich may still sell them; I haven't checked with him)

Does anyone have the newer version?
http://www.amazon.de/Travelite-Bordt...2690024&sr=8-1

I noticed that Next.co.uk also carries some of the Antler superlite items if anyone wants a source.

I'm regretting now not going into the shop a few weeks ago as I stood outside, drooling over the Lipaults which were on end of season sale in Paris.

(Well, the 2.0 version is going quickly out of stock, so I am going to take a leap. This video however of the 1.0 version is really truth in advertising. I'm going to miss my favourite bag and hope that 2.0 wins me over, although the style of 1.0 really grew on me) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U6GrthQtq0
What is your opinion of the Lipault? Have you used one? I finally actually saw and handled one at SFO a couple days ago (the two-wheeled version that collapses down) and I've seen it for sale online (half-price, only in yellow). I'm primarily concerned about schlepping it over cobblestones and having to check it on intra-Europe flights - do you think it's durable enough?
Old Mar 7, 2013, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
What is your opinion of the Lipault? Have you used one? I finally actually saw and handled one at SFO a couple days ago (the two-wheeled version that collapses down) and I've seen it for sale online (half-price, only in yellow). I'm primarily concerned about schlepping it over cobblestones and having to check it on intra-Europe flights - do you think it's durable enough?
I really like them and look at them a lot but never bought one as I have more than enough lightweight carry on.

The biggest difference is the lack of frame; the Travelite has no real frame either but it has the hardshell back which to me seems more durable (I could just be imagining that) The suitcase repair place said that bottoms and zippers near the bottom wear out more quickly due to being, well, on the bottom so my frequent train and cobblestone outings may be part of the reason for my zipper being worn on the bottom of the case.

I do check my Travelite and my Sub 0 but I don't know if I would with a Lipault (although one certainly can and does), but that may be more due to the colour.

Final answer? No idea! But that may just be me trying to convince myself that I don't need one. I may go look at one again just to see how the backside compares to the Travelite in terms of possible durability.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 6:14 pm

Ah, thank you! I stalk the Worldshop at MUC for the 1.0 but admittedly after they told me that they were not going to carry them anymore I didn't bother to see if they were carrying 2.0

MUC has at least 3 places which carried the 1.0 at varying prices.

I don't know LH shipping but koffer-direkt is 0 for intra-Germany and 4,95 for rest of EU and does a 5 Euro discount for bank payment (vs credit card payment) Buying from Amazon.de goes to koffer-direkt but with higher shipping costs if outside Germany.

My last year birthday gift from LH was a discount in the Worldshop but I ignored it.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 6:57 pm

@chollie - You might be interested in laplap's post "4 wheeler soft cabin bag (55x35x20cm) is actually 55x37.5x23.5cm"

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...t-luggage.html
Old Mar 8, 2013, 10:19 am

@chollie - You might be interested in laplap's post "4 wheeler soft cabin bag (55x35x20cm) is actually 55x37.5x23.5cm"

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...t-luggage.html
Thanks for that link.

I had started following that thread, but dropped out when I was traveling.

I'm still only interested in 2-wheeled bags at this point and sadly, laplap didn't comment on the bag's durability.

I really like product reviews, but at the same time, sometimes it's a problem when there are good but inadequate reviews ("I haven't actually used this product yet, but I just opened it and....") or negative reviews (there was one criticizing the Lipault quality - part of the handle broke on its first outing).

I'm looking for 2-wheel lightweight 22". My current bags have really taken a beating - it's the way I travel. Cobblestones, heavy loads (usually books), used as hand carts to tote heavy 'personal item' bags. I'm currently keeping an eye on an Osprey that looks like it would be sturdy enough for the job, although it has a single handle. I'm concerned that a single handle might be awkward or function poorly for carrying a second bag on top.

I'm also interested in a lighter function lightweight carry-on. I still want a degree of quality in case the bag has to be checked on an intra-Europe flight. I have to have two wheels, and the bag will almost certainly still be hauled over cobble-stones and in/out of trains and subways. The Lipault looks like it might be up to this task, but I want feedback from folks who have actually used it for this.

I saw a very lightweight, off-brand bag recently. Price was great, quality seemed OK until...I noticed that one wheel was at a slight angle. It appears that the wheel axles are poor quality - it certainly shouldn't be damaged just from being shipped and put on a store shelf! A favorite bag of my sister's just lost the outer ring of one wheel (still functions OK, a bit like driving a car with a flat tire and riding on the rim - it makes an ear-splitting screech whenever she turns sharply or comes to a stop). I'm worried about this type of quality issue.

Finally, I'm in the low end of the budget range.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 1:36 pm

I went to look at Lipault and Antler products today.

My opinion on Antler is that they seem to in general have less space for slightly more weight (2,4kg vs 2,3kg) It may just have been the styles I saw, but none of them lured me.

There were only 2 Lipault in the shop; the duffle carry on and the square carry on, both in the matching dark purple to the ballerinas I am wearing today. But I managed to resist....

Thoughts on the Lipault:

- lack of hardsided back; the Travelite has a hard sided back about 3/4 up the back size, which makes the bag remain somewhat squarish even when 1/2 empty. I also prefer the extra stability as I am often carrying 2-3 laptops and other electronics in the bag I bring on board the plane or train
- wheels: the wheels were pretty contrasting purple, but I just don't know if they will withstand wear as well. Then again, it may be that the colour put me off, but that is another point - will the colours become muddy or dirty especially if one is checking the bag? My beloved red Samsonite spinner checked bag is filthy and no amount of cleaning will remove or prevent future stains. I can see the lighter colours looking dirty after walking along streets and being splashed, etc not to mention the regular dirt of the train or plane
- pockets: like the Travelite 2.0 one large pocket on the inside of the bag, but only 1 on the outside (Travelite has 2; Lipault has an unused space where the 2nd one is located)
- price: granted, this was not in France, but even at the end of season sales the Lipault is more expensive than the Travelite, and if one is lucky one may find the Travelite on some sort of discount on Amazon, or with LH discounts, etc (My first one was an absolute bargain; I bought the very last one on Amazon.de)

So for me personally, I prefer the slightly more structured Travelite, especially when I consider price and possible durability in future. And frankly, while the Lipault does come in some gorgeous colours, very few of them match my Longchamp boarding bag...

chollie, I'd even consider 'recycling' my Travelite 1.0 to you as I have a friend coming to visit who may be able to bring it to your neighbourhood in a few weeks. But the cost I have been quoted a few times now to replace the zipper is just under the cost of a new 2.0, and the cost to do a short term fix is about half the cost of a new one. If you're interested in having it as a gift to see if you can do something with it, just let me know. I just don't know if it is worth trying to repair at this point.

(Which does bring up warranty: 3 years on the Travelite vs 5 years on the Lipault)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.