Reload this Page >

Lightest carry-on bag

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lightest carry-on bag

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:34 am

I was looking at the Salsa Air Ultralight today in the mall and I really was liking it. It seems like a good piece. However, I was looking at this page on luggage pros and I'm a bit concerned by these two statements:

Fits in the overhead compartment and is accepted on most domestic flights (Please check with airline - this bag is wider than 14 inches)
What's with the 14" comment? Is that a problem with some airlines?

Most international flights allow 20" carry-ons. This would make the Rimowa Salsa Air Cabin Multiwheel slightly too large. However, each airline differs in their restrictions. I would contact your specific airline for carry-on guidelines.
So - is this bag too big or what? I'm kinda of looking for the holy grail - a bag that I can be pretty sure will fit in the sizers for international travel *and* that isn't too heavy. The notes on size worry me bit. Or is it not really a problem?
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:41 pm

No, it is not a problem for the majority of airlines.

Be advised the the Salsa Air Ultralite is very lightweight. It has a top handle only, no side handle, and no side rubber resting " feet ," which makes it much easier to slide in and out of an overhead bin, or under a seat.

I had one, but traded it back for an original Salsa Air, as I prefer the inclusion of the side handle. I have photos comparing the two if you would like to see them.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by Swissaire
No, it is not a problem for the majority of airlines.
Any idea which one it is an issue for? I only ask because I want to know if it might be a problem for me.

Be advised the the Salsa Air Ultralite is very lightweight.
That's the main reason I'm pondering getting one.

It has a top handle only, no side handle, and no side rubber resting " feet ," which makes it much easier to slide in and out of an overhead bin, or under a seat.
Is that where the extra pound came from? That seems like a lot to add a pound (which is what I think the difference is)?

I had one, but traded it back for an original Salsa Air, as I prefer the inclusion of the side handle. I have photos comparing the two if you would like to see them.
Yes, it would be interesting. You really wanted the side handle enough to take the weight penalty?
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:20 pm

To answer your questions in reverse order, Yes, the Salsa Air side handle is worth having. Pulling it in and out of a car is not always done by the top handle.

Looking at the inside of the side handle, it includes simply enough two holes for the screws, the rubber handle itself, and an inside backing plate for support. That and the resting feet do not, I believe add up to the missing 1.8 pounds, compared to the Salsa Air. It appears that the actual mil. thickness of the Ultralite polycarbonate itself is thinner, at least that is what I have been told by Rimowa sales staff.

As I have mentioned this case is the lightest my wife and I have had, is easy to pack, and moves and carries very quickly. This is very noticeable when loading and unloading an overhead bin.

Flying smaller commuter aircraft in Europe and South America the case fits easily overhead. We have been asked only in US flights twice to gate check other cases, but as yet, not the Salsa Air. Having boarded these flights and then finding empty overhead bins as other passengers also did, this was disappointing.

Photos standing by if I can figure the FT requirements out.

Last edited by Swissaire; Feb 20, 2012 at 11:32 pm
Old Feb 21, 2012, 12:01 am

I have added four Rimowa ( Salsa Air, Salsa Ultra, and 2 Salsa + Topas ) comparison photos to the FT Photo Gallery, via the EXTRAS tab above. Hopefully this will be helpful.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 1:15 am

I have added four Rimowa ( Salsa Air, Salsa Ultra, and 2 Salsa + Topas ) comparison photos to the FT Photo Gallery, via the EXTRAS tab above. Hopefully this will be helpful.
Thanks for the pics. I appreciate the extra features, but I can't decide if I want to "pay" for them with an extra pound of weight. Decisions, decisions...

ETA: Looking at the specs - I was under the impression that this was a "international" size bag - I was imagining something in the 18" class - this seems more "domestic" (i.e. 21"). Am I wrong? If 21" bags work "internationally" then I wonder if I really need to replace my B&R (other than it's weight).

Last edited by JakiChan; Feb 21, 2012 at 2:27 am
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:47 am

A good point. Indeed, you may not be required to change or upgrade.

In thinking back just now, the Topas you see in the foto was gate checked into the hold twice (at the last minute ) by LH. I had a laptop in it one of those times, and LH placed a nice large FRAGILE sticker across the aluminum which was cleaned off later. But as you can see the Topas, and the laptop held up nicely.

Currently, I would call with the airlines you intend to travel on regarding size requirements, and how long they intend to maintain or keep those luggage standards. As a rule we always take a photocopy of the luggage case advertisement with us, including the information documented with a name of the airline employee you spoke ( in the previous sentence ), to hopefully resolve any misunderstandings at the final boarding gate.

If one is asked to gatecheck handcarry at the last minute by the GA, there is not much you can actually do. There are only two choices at that point: Make the flight or not.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 1:47 pm

Well, I know my B&R bag is heavy - so if I'm in a situation where weight is a concern I could see that as a reason to upgrade. But I know that both B&R and Tumi have 18" bags for a reason - to make sure there's no chance you won't fit in a sizer. So my current debate is that the Salsa Air is much lighter than my current bag, but it's not much smaller. It meant the IATA guidelines, but that doesn't seem to mean much. I like the idea - I just wish it was available in an 18" size so that I could be more sure that I won't have to gate check it.

My carryon usually has things in it that I'm pretty sure would go missing from a checked bag. I'm surprised that you still had your laptop if you had to gate check it.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 6:49 pm

If I had to do it again, I would consider any of the Salsa products for today's air travel.
In fact I may gift the wife a larger check-in case, as her old, travelled fabric case has well-earned a retirement. I'm already discussing that option with our Rimowa store.

IATA standards is what I would choose as the defining agency for carry-on standards. But then again the majority of our travel is International, and based from Europe. However, if my Salsa Air carry-on fit on Air Dolomiti as it did recently, I think it will fit anywhere.

Yes, I share your concern regarding a laptop in checked-baggage. Today it is a light, thin, tablet or IPAD, and always carry-on, no matter what is checked. Amazing what we didn't need 10-12 years ago that is now a must-carry item, isn't it ?
Old Feb 21, 2012, 9:09 pm

IATA standards is what I would choose as the defining agency for carry-on standards.
Well, I find myself wondering why 18" cases exist if 21" are small enough? My thinking this time around had been to go for a case that almost never would have to be gate checked, even on regionals and what not. I figure there's a reason those bags are made...unless I'm misunderstanding something.

One question: Does the Salsa Air (ultralight or not) meet the IATA standard when external protuberences are taken into account? One thing I worry about the B&R is that their external carry handle isn't in the measurements I have.

Thanks for all the help!
Old Feb 21, 2012, 11:01 pm

Protuberances aside ( no jokes now ), if your carry-on fits in the overhead, under a seat, and doesn't create a safety hazard, it should fine.

The new and arbitrary weight differences between airlines ( no limit, 8 kg, 10 kg, 12 kg ) are policies " creatively " set by the companies themselves, and not IATA. If the policies of any one airline become too severe or burdensome, then you as the consumer always have choices.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 1:45 am

Protuberances aside ( no jokes now ), if your carry-on fits in the overhead, under a seat, and doesn't create a safety hazard, it should fine.
I'm just trying to go for the wheeled case that is least likely to require to be checked. Part of me thinks "They make 18 inch cases for a reason and they call them international. If I'm going to be going international a bit, maybe my carryon should be < 21 inches."

For example, my next international trip (which is prompting this purchase) is on Air France (SFO-CDG). According to their website:

"55 cm (l) x 35 cm (w) x 25 cm (h) – including pockets, wheels, and handles" So, in theory, the Salsa Air wouldn't fit in their sizer (the dimensions I've seen are 55.0 X 40.0 X 20.0 - 5cm too wide) and I could be asked to check it, I guess? But it sounds like you haven't had that problem.

I think I'll take my 22" B&R to the store with me to compare. I know that B&R doesn't include the handle system in the dimensions - maybe the Salsa is actually smaller than the B&R?

Last edited by JakiChan; Feb 22, 2012 at 2:49 am
Old Feb 22, 2012, 2:36 am

Programs: QF CL
Originally Posted by JakiChan
I'm just trying to go for the wheeled case that is least likely to require to be checked. Part of me thinks "They make 18 inch cases for a reason and they call them international. If I'm going to be going international a bit, maybe my carryon should be < 21 inches."

But it sounds like you haven't had that problem.

I think I'll take my 22" B&R to the store with me to compare. I know that B&R doesn't include the handle system in the dimensions - maybe the Salsa is actually smaller than the B&R?
If I stand my Salsa Air IATA carry on (not the ultra lite) on a hard surface and measure, it is 21.5 inches from floor to the top of the top handle (ie including the, er, protuberances). The body of the case itself is more like 19.5 inches.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 9:03 am

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by JakiChan
There are one or two airlines (Ryan, maybe Wizz) which have really small allowances. I think most others will take a 21in bag. Also keep in mind some people really dont need to carry all that much - if you have an overnight flight with just your laptop and a change of clothes, you dont need a 22in bag.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:58 pm

Programs: QF CL
Originally Posted by Cloudship
There are one or two airlines (Ryan, maybe Wizz) which have really small allowances. I think most others will take a 21in bag. Also keep in mind some people really dont need to carry all that much - if you have an overnight flight with just your laptop and a change of clothes, you dont need a 22in bag.
Good point. Also, if you are on airlines with strict (low) weight restrictions, a fully packed 22 inch bag will very likely exceed them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.