Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Medical/Emergency/Evacuation Insurance

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2008, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly

I'm not necessarily interested in improved health insurance. And, I am not looking for delay, lost luggage, or primary/supplemental car insurance.

Instead, I am trying to identify an insurance program for major medical emergencies, including evacuations to my home country and hospital of choice.

I have read about Air Med International and MedJet Assist.

Does anyone have actual experience with either of these companies, or other companies which offer similar services.

I'm gettin' older and more fragile (approaching 50 ) and still like adventuresome travel. So, I'm looking, just in case ..............
Old Nov 12, 2008, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm a member of the Divers Alert Network.

Check out their TravelAssist coverage.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 12:20 pm

I bought a MedJet Assist policy. I have not used it thankfully but plan on renewing it when it expires. I like that their evacuation coverage extends to US domestic flights and provides transportation to a facility of your choosing (i.e. home) not merely to the nearest appropriate facility which could still be overseas somewhere.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 3:11 pm

Programs: CO, Marriott...ad nauseum
Travel "Insurance"

I've used SOS International two times over the past 16 years. Once in 2002 in Colombia for emergency knee surgery. SOS guaranteed payment to allow quick action by emergency room and also surgeon. Several years later I used SOS in Luanda, Angola going to their local clinic for medical attention (severe sinus). I've seen an SOS clinic also in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam so guess that they are in several locations. Long story short....excellent first hand experience!
Old Nov 13, 2008, 9:05 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by chanjacl
Long story short....excellent first hand experience!
That's good to know. So many times you read horror stories about people who purchase travel insurance yet when the time comes, the insurance guys don't pay or cover things so minimally that ludicrous becomes a generous way to describe the situation.

http://www.internationalsos.com/en/forindividuals.htm
Old Nov 13, 2008, 5:40 pm

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
Have thankfully never had to use them but I've been a happy customer of Air Ambulance for 5 plus years.

www.AirAmbulanceCard.com
Old Nov 14, 2008, 12:27 pm

I chose Med Jet. I even joined AARP (ouch) for a good discount: http://www.medjetassist.com/aarp

MedjetAssist is pleased to offer AARP members discounted rates and online enrollment for our "hospital of choice" air medical evacuation and travel assistance membership program. As an AARP member, simply click on the MedjetAssist "Click Here to Enroll Today" in the upper right corner and select the membership plan that's right for you.

Special AARP Rates (up to age 75):

Annual Membership: $185 (normally $225)
Family Membership: $287 (normally $350)
Short Term Membership:
Starting at $72 (normally $85)

AARP members who are interested in annual MedjetAssist Diamond (age 75 through 84) or Platinum (85+) memberships need to request an application for enrollment by sending an email to [email protected] or by calling MedjetAssist toll-free at
1-866-809-4061, Monday-Friday 7:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m. CST. Please indicate "AARP Diamond" or "AARP Platinum" when requesting an application.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
I will be going to Japan this winter for back country skiing. Does anyone know of any insurance that not only covers back country injuries/avalanches, but mountain rescue as well?
Old Nov 14, 2008, 1:11 pm

Medjet

I "bit the bullet" and again joined AARP for the discount with Medjet. I discontinued my auto and house insurance and membership a few years ago when AARP raised my insurance $300 a year for 3 years to cover a $1,000 accident. I had never had an accident or ticket before and it really made me mad. Found out recently when I referred friends to Medjet that they are no longer taking new memberships for people living in Washington state.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 9:02 am

Programs: AA EXP
Here's another vote for MedJet - I've been a member for 3 or 4 years now and always check membership before an extended trip (travel internationally lots). Thankfully I've never needed their services, but I have seen 2nd/3rd hand how well they work. I frequent an adventure motorcycle website and have seen a handful of folks that required medical evacuation from very remote parts of the world - one fella had a fall and badly broke his leg(s?) while in Peru. He was air evacuated back to the US and he later commented that the expenses had exceeded $100,000 - all paid for by MedJet. Another guy was in the remoted of Mexico and broke his back (ouch...) and was evacuated to the US - another 75k or so.

Big +1 for MedJet.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 10:47 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Delta Gold
Here is one to consider - MEDEX

http://www.medexassist.com
Old Apr 2, 2009, 10:34 am

Another option

I got coverage for my son when he moved to HK - primarily for health insurance, but the plan also included emergency evacuation. You can also purchase short term travel insurance.

We had one major claim when he checked into emergency room two years ago and they were extremely helpful as well as quick in the reimbursement.

Their website: hthworldwide.com
Old Apr 9, 2009, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Just thought I would mention that you do not need to be over 50 to join AARP and then get the Medjet discount.
Old May 2, 2009, 10:38 am

We always use Travel Guard. Good article on Frommer's website: http://tiny.cc/aDq2W
Old May 2, 2009, 1:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Another very happy multi-trip user of International SOS. On one occasion I clearly ate something I shouldnt have in Thailand and the symptoms hit while in Cambodia. I had antibiotics with me and started taking them. We got an MD from International SOS on the phone and went over symptoms with him and what I was taking. He said that should take care of it but gave me a list of symptoms that indicated an escalation that needed more attention. He also said that if it didnt go away in a certain period of time by which we were scheduled to be in Hanoi, I should go to their clinic there. I checked in with a doc in the clinic in Hanoi by phone when we got there and he again went through all the details and discussed with me and I decided not to escalate, it was getting better. But it was reassuring to discuss with a doctor.

On another occasion I got very sick in Zambia and we called their Philadelphia emergency hotline. Going over the symptoms in this case he was very concerned. He had another doctor, this time in their Jo'burg office, which was the closest to me, contact us. After discussing with him, they decided that I needed local medical attention. They found a US trained and certified doctor for me in Zambia and we went there and he was able to treat me and rule out the more serious thing they thought I might have (malaria) with blood smears. We did pay the doctor in Zambia about $30, he wasnt part of their system, but they tracked down the best doc they could find in the city we were in. I suspect we could have gotten it back but didnt even bother.

What has been most impressive to me is the ability to get an actual MD on the phone instantly and get personal attention that is appropriate for the situation. We always get them when we travel in the developing world. As another example which we werent involved in, they apparently were able to get their clients out of Lebanon when Israel invaded even though the US government wasnt able to do so initially.

Last edited by GadgetFreak; May 2, 2009 at 1:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.