Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Luggage

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2007, 10:50 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.2M, SPG Platinum
I ended up purchasing the Victorinox Tourbach Hybrid Garment bag yesterday. I've got a number of trips scheduled in the next couple of weeks and I'll try and post an update on how well it fits in the overhead bins, how the clothes come out, etc in the near future.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
On the cheap, informal side . . . Calpak

I'm probably more of an "average" traveler, doing everything on a budget. About 10 years ago I discovered the beauty of the rolling duffel. I could cram in more stuff, and it was lighter. It was a cheap generic I bought at Marshall's in San Francisco. Tore up after a few years of heavy use, and I was having trouble finding another in that small, carryon size. Extensive internet searching led me to a Calpak rolling duffel. I think it's 22"? Maybe 20"? Anyhow, I've never had trouble carrying it on. I think all those pockets and stuff in fancy bags just waste space. This bag is simple: one big interior space, a small pocket on the end and another long one on the side. I use it more than any other bag, and it's been great. Checked, carryon, whatever.

I had another cheap generic rolling backpack that tore up almost immediately. It gasped its last in Chicago last spring, so I went looking for a cheap replacement. Most rolling backpacks are just too damn big and bulky. I went all over DT Chicago, and finally found one at a TJ Maxx. Guess what? It was Calpak. Like my duffel, it's strong, light, and simple. Also three-tone color, so they're easy to spot.

I'm sure it's not for everybody, but if you favor simple, hardworking luggage . . . .
Old Oct 29, 2007, 6:36 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
15 flights on avg.....for 3-4 weeks at a time, about 3-4 times a year......Samsonite hardside Spinner case.....what a gem of a case. Still going strong after 6 years of the above. $400AUD well spent!

CJ
Old Oct 29, 2007, 8:32 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Another problem for us taller individuals is the size of the handle. The "Roma" I had was great- this off brand had a long handle that worked quite well, but the fancy and heavy hartman rollerboard has a handle that is just too short to use with any comfort on long walks and worst for long runs thru the terminal.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 7:49 am

Programs: UA Premier Executive, BA Blue
World's Best One Suiter

I was thumbing through a travel magazine in 1999, and there was an article ranking one-suiter luggage. The winner was a Kiowa bage that looks a little like a civilian version of the old military "valpac." One key feature was that it was legal in the overhead compartment. Anyway, I purchased for my frequent overnight trips between Manama and Dubai. The trifold kept my suit looking good, and I never had to check luggage to Dubai.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 11:25 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Sounded interesting, but doesn't show up in google searches any longer. Of course 1999 is many years ago and anything is possible.

Also, I wonder what Bustash, the OP, decided to get and how it worked out.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 12:02 am

Samsonite is the worst

I recently bought a decently expensive Samsonite garment bag (over $280) and it lasted all of one flight before the interior zipper on it was broken. The only thing more disappointing than the awful performance of the bag was dealing with the Samsonite people after. Although they clearly think they have the worlds greatest bags, they are clearly not willing to back that up when it comes to paying for them when they break on the first trip.

Rich
Old Nov 19, 2007, 2:55 am

The one thing I know is that I will not buy another travelpro or tumi bag after my recent experiences with them. My travelpro crew5 rolling wardrobe sucks, and has already burst a few seams after 6 trips. My Tumi T tech duffel carry-on has also burst a seam at the zipper after 4 trips. In contrast, my cheap 100 dollar kirkland 22 carry on is in perfect shape after 50+ trips. I have dragged that bag over cobble stones, overloaded it beyond belief, and have checked it many times. It still looks good, rolls well, and I have had no issues with it.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ICH Ambassador, HH Gold VIP, Starwood Platinum Preferred, UA Premier, AA, Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by rlg09
I recently bought a decently expensive Samsonite garment bag (over $280) and it lasted all of one flight before the interior zipper on it was broken. The only thing more disappointing than the awful performance of the bag was dealing with the Samsonite people after. Although they clearly think they have the worlds greatest bags, they are clearly not willing to back that up when it comes to paying for them when they break on the first trip.

Rich
My experience is that Travelpro is worse.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 6:07 pm

Programs: DL Silver, (used to be somebody here) Marriott Lifetime Titanium
costco is the best. I have had it for years and it still goes strong.. Seams last, the zippers are strong. i think the newer ones are lighter than previous.

They are also inexpensive- i think $110 for the roll on and $130 or so for the26 incher that is expandable
Old Nov 19, 2007, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by tfred
costco is the best. I have had it for years and it still goes strong.. Seams last, the zippers are strong. i think the newer ones are lighter than previous.

They are also inexpensive- i think $110 for the roll on and $130 or so for the26 incher that is expandable
Just bought 3 and will give them a try over Thanksgiving Holiday
Old Nov 19, 2007, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
Just bought 3 and will give them a try over Thanksgiving Holiday
I don't think you will regret the choice. The kirkland models appear to be made by pathfinder, whose own bags with similar (if not identical) features are priced many times the cost of the kirkland equilvalents. My only complaint with my kirkland bag is that it is a touch heavy compared to other top-end bags, however, the durability has been great.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 3:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Ive been a Briggs and Riley fan for a number of years. I recently decided for a number of reasons, including but not limited to LHR idiocy, to start traveling much lighter and not using wheeled bags. I first tried with a B&R bag which I was impressed with. But I recently got the new Skytrain bag from Red Oxx. Im really impressed with all aspects of the quality of this. The zippers, buckles and shoulder straps are really over-engineered. It seems like an incredibly tough, but lightweight bag. Only had it on two trips but it seems like a real winner.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 6:07 pm

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by halcyongolf
I don't think you will regret the choice. The kirkland models appear to be made by pathfinder, whose own bags with similar (if not identical) features are priced many times the cost of the kirkland equilvalents. My only complaint with my kirkland bag is that it is a touch heavy compared to other top-end bags, however, the durability has been great.
We have 3 of these for my wife and kids. No problems at all.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 6:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Need Help Choosing a Rolling Duffel

I've been searching far and wide for the ideal rolling duffel bag. I almost bought a Skyway yesterday, but it lacked anti-tip pads on the wheeled end, which resulted in an unstable bag with a lot of dirt and scuff marks on the bottom.

Here is my list of needs...

1) min. 27" long, max. 28" long
2) height can be around 14", but soft sided so it collapses to fit in the overhead - no extra pad section on the bottom to add useless height
3) smooth, easy rolling wheels
4) end pocket for shoes, large and long side pocket
5) strong, long-lasting material like ballistic nylon - no weak, canvas material
6) price - through discounters, sales, retail or other channels - less than $150

I've looked at B+R (nice, but too much $$), Delsey (I might opt for this one), and Skyway (no anti-tip pad) - if Costco made their rolling duffel in a larger size, I'd grab it in a heartbeat. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.