Wiki Posts
Search

Best Luggage

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2007, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hairpeace
http://globe-trotterltd.com/

Blows Briggs and Riley out of the water!
i see no indication of warranty? i would be very open to designer/bespoke/expensive luggage IF it had a real warranty. like the 2 i mentioned and B&R.
Old Sep 29, 2007, 6:56 am

Programs: DL Diamond // Marriott LT Titanium
Delta - md88 & BR 22"

Originally Posted by 12172003
I have a B&R #U422NX expandable 22" rollerboard. I love the bag but the REAL size is 8.5 x 14.5 x 23". It does NOT fit in 2/3's of the overhead compartments wheels in first. I have to put it sideways. Fortunately for me I get priority boarding so so far it hasn't screwed me over but I'd bet it has screwed someone else over at some point. One time someone did flip my bag wheels in first after I put it in sideways. I very closely almost got screwed.

I wrote B&R and they replied:

"Briggs & Riley measures our luggage by the packing capacity. Most airlines have a 45 linear inch rule. This means that if you add up all three dimensions you need to get 45” or less. The total measurement of the bag is 44.5 linear inches. Therefore, making the luggage a carry-on. "

United has this as well as the normal 9x14x22". This bag conforms to neither of those restrictions. Yes, I should have tried it out ahead of time but I feel the labeling of this bag is flat out wrong. I continue to use the bag but wish others had pointed this out to me and stupid for taking B&R's word on it.

Anyone else have this experience? (note, I did try wheels up/down, wheels in first/outward and all combinations, none work)
Anybody else with similar experience and wished they had not gotten this bag? I would like to know how this fits on a Delta MD 88
Old Sep 29, 2007, 8:01 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Originally Posted by fb3003
Anybody else with similar experience and wished they had not gotten this bag? I would like to know how this fits on a Delta MD 88
I don't know about that one but I have the U21NX and it fits fine in MD80s.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I have a Briggs and Riley. It's been sent back for repairs 3 times and each time I had to do without my bag for a few weeks.

My current favorite is a Tumi Gen 4 ballistic nylon. Tumi is expensive, but I find it better made than B&R. Everyone always talks up the B&R warranty, but it's not something I want to use again and again and again and again.

I have a 22" rollaboard Tumi, a small briefcase, and a wheeled briefcase. Both briefcases fit on top of the rollaboard and are balanced perfectly when wheeled.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 3:18 am

I'd have to go with Tumi also. I have a couple of Tumi pieces one of which is designed to be "lightweight" and it very much is. ^^

I check it regularly, and other than normal scuffing and cosmetic issues you expect when checking a bag, it has held up far longer than my other pieces of luggage. I remember when I first bought it, how impressed with how well it is made, especially since it is supposed to be a "lightweight" model. Best yet - I bought it for half price at the Tumi outlet. My only regret is that I had a few other Tumi pieces that I paid full-price for before I discovered the outlet.

I used to be a TravelPro junkie and now I view that line as a bunch of junk compared to Tumi. Even if you just visually compare the two, there is a striking difference in how much better made the Tumi is.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 8:13 am

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kuroneko
I'd have to go with Tumi also. I have a couple of Tumi pieces one of which is designed to be "lightweight" and it very much is. ^^

I check it regularly, and other than normal scuffing and cosmetic issues you expect when checking a bag, it has held up far longer than my other pieces of luggage. I remember when I first bought it, how impressed with how well it is made, especially since it is supposed to be a "lightweight" model. Best yet - I bought it for half price at the Tumi outlet. My only regret is that I had a few other Tumi pieces that I paid full-price for before I discovered the outlet.

I used to be a TravelPro junkie and now I view that line as a bunch of junk compared to Tumi. Even if you just visually compare the two, there is a striking difference in how much better made the Tumi is.
Interesting. I've had Tumis and Travelpros (and Briggs & Rileys). I have a Tumi messenger laptop bag and a Travelpro 22" rolling bag. The Tumi's inside lining is ripping and they don't fix anything. The Travelpro works like a charm and the first one I had probably last 8 years of hard travel.

I think B&R has a sensational warranty policy and good construction but I think they are relatively incompetent at design. I have a B&R 21" vertical garment bag which I wanted for short trips with 1 suit. It rumples one suit. The center of gravity of the bag is awkward so it is not nearly as easy to maneuver as the Travelpro. I looked at the B&R compact garment bag and it is not quite long enough for my suits (I'm 6'1" or so, which is tall but not unusually so).

I'm still working on a bag that will carry both my laptop and one suit that will fit in the UK sizers for when I go to and through Heathrow. Unfortunately B&R appears to make two of the three that might work.

Last edited by shawbridge; Sep 30, 2007 at 10:58 am
Old Sep 30, 2007, 10:43 am

Well, I first became a TravelPro fan because my first roll-aboard TravelPro bag purchased more than 10 years ago has really stood up. Since then, I've purchased a large suitcase, another 2 rollaboards, and a rolling garment bag. Unfortunately, I think TP is just starting to make junk now, in contrast to the original pieces they used to come out with.

One of the TP roll-aboards fell apart with only 8 months of use, the rolling garment bag's zipper came off the track after only 3 uses. The other (small) roll-aboard and the orginal TP bag I still have and can still use, but these are older models, and probably made when TP used to care.

Since then, I've purchased a medium sized Tumi suitcase, a roll-aboard, and laptop bag. I find that the Tumi rolls easier and smoother and seems to take much more abuse in handling than my newer TP's. Also, the way things are fastened and secured (like the handle, trim, wheels, etc) seem much sturdier and more secure. So far, I'm sold.

As an aside, duffle-bag wise, I've been very happy with LL Bean versions, both wheeled and unwheeled. These things have taken a lot of abuse (including being carried up Kilimanjaro by porters and carted around on camels in India, as well as numerous diving trips and being checked-in many times over the years) and every duffle I have is near-new condition. (My oldest duffle is more than 10 years old) Where some of my other duffles have fallen apart having not even been checked in, the LL Bean duffles have really withstood the test of time and rigourous use. I highly recommend them. (I have four LL Bean bags purchased over the years - 2 Large (one wheeled and one without) and 2 Medium (one wheeled and one without))
Old Sep 30, 2007, 10:54 am

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
Deleted because it was a duplicate
Old Sep 30, 2007, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.2M, SPG Platinum
Has anyone looked into the Tourbach line from Victorinox? I was bored the other day and stopped in Bag n' Baggage to check out the latest and greatest. The sales rep told me that in his opinion, the Tourbach line of bags is currently the best on the market. I looked at various Tumi, B&R, and Victorinox and the bag did seem pretty well put together and thought out. Supposedly, the warranty is designed to compete with B&R. From the Victorinox website, here is the warranty:

"The Carry With Confidence™ Guarantee also covers repairs of a functional nature if the damage is caused by a common carrier through abuse or mishandling of your bag. This guarantee does not cover damage from ordinary wear and tear or the contents of your product."

Anyone care to share their thoughts on this bag?
Old Oct 3, 2007, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by shawbridge

I'm still working on a bag that will carry both my laptop and one suit that will fit in the UK sizers for when I go to and through Heathrow. Unfortunately B&R appears to make two of the three that might work.
Perhaps, these might help

Sumdex 22"
http://www.ebags.com/sumdex/altitude...?modelid=67096

Solo / US Luggage 22"
http://www.ebags.com/us_luggage_solo...?modelid=55718

Briggs & Riley @Work 20" Upright Business Traveler
http://www.ebags.com/briggs_riley/wo...?modelid=60000

or even Ebag's own
http://www.ebags.com/ebags/pilot_plu...?modelid=63463

Victorinox Tourbach™ 22" Expandable Upright
http://www.ebags.com/victorinox_swis...?modelid=79577

Victorinox Swiss Army Mobilizer NXT® Collection Mobilizer 22in.
http://www.luggageonline.com/allrevi...roduct_ID=4701

You probably find cheaper prices if you search on ebay or google product section

I would be interested in what you decide.

Cheers

Last edited by fb3003; Oct 6, 2007 at 3:34 pm Reason: add another option
Old Oct 3, 2007, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by BJD1r
Has anyone looked into the Tourbach line from Victorinox? I was bored the other day and stopped in Bag n' Baggage to check out the latest and greatest. The sales rep told me that in his opinion, the Tourbach line of bags is currently the best on the market. I looked at various Tumi, B&R, and Victorinox and the bag did seem pretty well put together and thought out. Supposedly, the warranty is designed to compete with B&R. ...
Interestingh - I too was looking at this bag, but through a website. By looking at the pictures could not tell if on the outside there is any small pouch where you can put your small liquids.. I know B&R has that new small pouch between the handle bars on the back, but then again, I hear people having problems with B&R 22" and some overheads

on ebag website, it says:
"Front, quick-access pocket with custom removable key ring is perfect for boarding passes and other small items that need stashing"... do you remember if this was big enough to fit few liquid items for quick access for security line?

bit on a pricey side too!
Old Oct 3, 2007, 7:36 am

Perhaps, these 2 might help

Sumdex 22"
http://www.ebags.com/sumdex/altitude...?modelid=67096

Solo / US Luggage 22"
http://www.ebags.com/us_luggage_solo...?modelid=55718

Briggs & Riley @Work 20" Upright Business Traveler
http://www.ebags.com/briggs_riley/wo...?modelid=60000

or even Ebag's own
http://www.ebags.com/ebags/pilot_plu...?modelid=63463

Victorinox Tourbach™ 22" Expandable Upright
http://www.ebags.com/victorinox_swis...?modelid=79577

You probably find cheaper prices if you search on ebay or google product section

I would be interested in what you decide.

Cheers
Thanks, fb3003. The US Solo might be perfect. Does anyone have this bag and taken through LHR?
Old Oct 3, 2007, 12:23 pm

I ordered the US Solo and will pick up the Brookstone at the mall and compare.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by shawbridge
I ordered the US Solo and will pick up the Brookstone at the mall and compare.
would appreciate it if you could let us know of its "true" dimensions and not the advertised one. Meaning if you place the bag against the wall, what is the distance from the top of the bag to the bottom of the wheels. Same with W and D.

Based on my own exp and what I have read, most bags advertise the inside dimension, which is kind of misleading...

Thanks..
Old Oct 3, 2007, 4:22 pm

would appreciate it if you could let us know of its "true" dimensions and not the advertised one. Meaning if you place the bag against the wall, what is the distance from the top of the bag to the bottom of the wheels. Same with W and D.

Based on my own exp and what I have read, most bags advertise the inside dimension, which is kind of misleading...

Thanks..
Will do. I thought what the manufacturers do is measure the outside dimension but of the box, not including the handle or wheels or plastic guards. Since the BAA sizer doesn't care whether the width or length is caused by the box or the handles or plastic guards, the manufacturer's dimensions are misleading. We'll see. I've go to go to the Hague and London next week and London the week after. I hope one of these babies works.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.