Wiki Posts
Search

Best Lip Balm - Advice Sought

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2005, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Best Lip Balm - Advice Sought

I live in a fairly dry and cold climate for half the year and end up getting chapped lips fairly often. So far I have tried the L'occitane Lip Balm (Shea Butter 5%), the Crabtree & Evelyn Nomad Lip Balm and the REN Honey Lip Balm.

My favourite smell is definitely the REN, followed by the C&E Nomad and the L'occitane smells pretty ordinary. The L'occitane seems to moisturise best but leaves lips glossy (not so great for guys) whilst the REN smells great and has a nice matt finish, but needs frequent application to stop chapping.

Given the drying nature of frequent flying, I seek your wisdom for the ultimate lip balm

Criteria: Moisturising, Non-Glossy and Smells Nice
Old Aug 5, 2005, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I bet you would get some great responses in the Women's Forum.

I use the more natural lip balms. None of the normal Blistex and Chapstick stuff. Your lips get addicted to it and it works less well as time progresses. I particularly like OraLab's Lip Moisture or Lip Natural products. You can find them at all major drugstores. They run about a buck a tube.
Old Aug 5, 2005, 1:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by CApreppie
I bet you would get some great responses in the Women's Forum.
Let's see how the responses here go first, then we might.
Old Aug 5, 2005, 1:49 am

Labello.

Non-waxy, protective, applies easily, available everywhere in Europe and Canada (and maybe other places) and on the Internet.

For more serious stuff, the lemongrass-scented stuff from Temple Spa is very nice.
Old Aug 5, 2005, 3:40 am

Programs: MUCCI Classe des Flatteurs Preferes, LH SEN, BA silver, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Plat
Vaseline is fantastic stuff. It is brilliant for lips, can be used on other areas of dry skin, as a grease for squeaky doors in hotel rooms and comes in a beautiful little tin.

Forgot to say that it is odourless, and therefore IMO that makes it smells nice!
Rubyruby1 likes this.

Last edited by flyingbee; Aug 5, 2005 at 3:45 am Reason: To add that it's odourless
Old Aug 5, 2005, 3:45 am
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
My favorites are as follows:

Origins Lip Ready (gets your lips moisturized) and for every day Kiehl's - I LOVE it - especially now that they have tint in it as well. It is non-greasy, very "wet" and keeps my lips moisturized all of the time. I would also highly recommend Burt's Bees lip balm. I just like Kiehl's dispenser better (tube rather than pot). Hope this helps!
Old Aug 5, 2005, 4:24 am

CARMEX all the way!!!

The little tiny jar lasts me forever, unlike their tubes that get used up way too fast. And when you get to the bottom of the jar where it's harder to get with your finger, just melt it side ways (put it in your car on a hot day), then let it cool, and voila, carmex is within easy reach again.

You can find it at your local drug store or walmart type place and I think they're less than $2. Not sure about international availability.

Carmex! Carmex! Carmex!
http://www.carma-labs.com/
Old Aug 5, 2005, 5:39 am
Suspended

I also vote for Carmex in the little jar.
Old Aug 5, 2005, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

H2Oplus lip mender is IMHO the best, and at $14 a pop probably also one of the most expensive.

Avene (French) sells an awesome stick, but sadly only in France. In Europe you can also search for the Vichy ones.
Old Aug 5, 2005, 6:31 am

Generally, I've found that when my lips start getting chapped, it's because I haven't been drinking enough water. It doesn't seem to matter much which lip balm I use, but increasing my water intake works like a charm. YMMV
Old Aug 5, 2005, 7:21 am

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MichaelCharlie
Generally, I've found that when my lips start getting chapped, it's because I haven't been drinking enough water. It doesn't seem to matter much which lip balm I use, but increasing my water intake works like a charm. YMMV
It doesn't work for me. I constantly drink water and my lips still get chapped.

I use Chapsticks right now b/c I still have a bunch from a valuepack I bought from Sam's Club last year. When I run out of these, I think I'll try some of the products suggested here.

Carmex: I never tried that, but it doesn't appeal to me b/c you have to touch it with your fingers. I know I wouldn't use it that much b/c I'd only apply it after washing my hands. In the winter, I get sick often enough. I think using Carmex would increase the number of times I get sick.
Old Aug 5, 2005, 7:35 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by wideman
Labello.
Seconded. Especially the orange and Kamomile.
Old Aug 5, 2005, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
My wife swears by Simple's Lip Balm. It's apparently a luxurious texture and long lasting as well as having a high SPF.
Old Aug 5, 2005, 7:52 am

Programs: NW Plat, CO Plat
Originally Posted by Coathanger
The L'occitane seems to moisturise best but leaves lips glossy (not so great for guys)

Criteria: Moisturising, Non-Glossy and Smells Nice
Same dilemna here. I too find l'occitane the most effective for my lips but I don't like the glossy effect! During wintertime, I use Kiehl's SPF12 lip balm, very effective, non glossy, but unscented.
Old Aug 5, 2005, 8:47 am

Programs: AC e75K, *G, SPG/MR PPE
Labello is nice, but I'm currently on a huge Burt's Bees kick. You can get it in a tub or in a stick form - the stick one is in normal form or you can get the Lifeguard stick which has SPF 15. It smells like peppermint.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.