Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

What's your favorite device for on-the-road web-browsing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2009, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)

I realize that laptop bags are some of the most discussed items here, but I wonder how much longer would we be lugging a laptop around? A lot of people manage with Blackberries and iPhones. The industry seems to be moving towards "netbooks" and even smaller devices.

For myself I have accepted that I don't really need to run all of my computations in an airport or a sidewalk cafe. What I need is to check email, flight info, local events and weather. IOW a much smaller device to access the web.

My brother-in-law uses an iPod Touch. It was so impressive, compared to the monster laptop he used to carry around for much the same purpose, that I almost decided to switch myself.

One advantage of iPod is that you don't need a global phone plan, you just have to find a free wifi spot, and according to my B-I-L that is easier than I would have feared. Disadvantages for some might be that it only has a "soft" keyboard and it cannot be connected with a wire if that's the only facility you had.

Anyway, I thought I'd check with my FT friends before making any rash decisions! So, what do you guys think? What's the optimum way to keep in touch while on the road?
Old Sep 24, 2009, 11:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I haven't found anything that can touch an iPhone. It really depends on the size you want if you want something a bit bigger netbooks are great. But you might check out the travel technology forum for this topic rather than travel products.

Last edited by GadgetFreak; Sep 24, 2009 at 11:12 pm
Old Sep 25, 2009, 6:16 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
My current favorite, using it on the train now, is the MiFi. Credit card sized wireless hot spot. Sprint and Verizon offer it. I love it, it lets me get connected just about anywhere with any device that has wifi. When we were traveling my wife connected with her iTouch, I use a netbook for it, but if I needed something smaller (like when there is no seaI wet on the train) I have other options. It just sits in a pocket of the backpack or carryon and when there is not free wifi I flip it on.

I wanted something device independent. I thought about an iPhone, but then realized there were times I may want to use other things where a laptop was needed.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 12:06 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
After trying to make new reservations and change existing ones on my iphone and having Safari crash multiple times, I realized it was an exercise in frustration and that I should just get a netbook and so I did!

If you only travel on your favourite airline and stay in your favourite hotel chain and they have a dedicated Mobile webpage or an iphone app, it is a lot better. However if you get stuck somewhere and have to book a room at a Comfort Inn last minute over the iphone, i.e. after filling out all the pages and pressing "next", the browser crashes just before you press "confirm" - argh!

Also, I've caught myself squinting (not a good thing) at smaller and smaller type on the iphone just because I've been getting used to it. Plus, if you travel internationally, roaming is $$$. Chances are higher that you get free wired internet access more than Wifi.

The 10"+ netbooks now are really a touch too big for simple travel needs and they weigh in at approx. 3lbs + . Ideally the little Fujitsu (7") would be perfect except for the price of $1200+.

I'm really hoping that they will bring back the 7" netbooks with basic features for travelers. But now the current batch of 10" is the best we've got.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 12:10 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
I love my iPhone. I've had it for a little over a year now and have used it to call up maps and transit directions in NYC and San Francisco, GPS my location, then use it to look up recommendations for nearby restaurants and click the phone link to make a call and reserve.

One handy little device.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by aktchi
I realize that laptop bags are some of the most discussed items here, but I wonder how much longer would we be lugging a laptop around? A lot of people manage with Blackberries and iPhones. The industry seems to be moving towards "netbooks" and even smaller devices.
Conde Nast Traveler reported an interesting Amazing Race type challenge around Moscow in its June issue and online here: http://www.concierge.com/cntraveler/...terstitialskip

The winner was the person using the least technology and depending mostly on the "kindness of strangers," usually the hotel staff.

I found it noteworthy that the iPhone user stated:

"Q: Lessons learned?
A: I'll never travel without the iPhone. Neither will I travel without a guidebook, a laptop, and a willingness to talk to strangers. I could have left the hotel an hour earlier each day had I been planning my itinerary on my laptop instead of zooming in and out of Web pages and tediously typing on-screen. And the phone holds you hostage to the strength of its connection and to its battery."[emphasis added]

By the way, I would say the iPhone user placed second in Traveler's contest, with the Blackberry coming in as a close third, only because the BB failed to accomplish the task 3 times versus only 2 for the iPhone. Of course, I was considering an iPhone purchase at the time, so I was probably biased in my conclusion. -- Suzanne
Old Sep 25, 2009, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1) Netbook (or in my case, a 12" HP)
2) MiFi
3) iPhone, HTC Touch Pro2 or T-Mobile MyTouch 3G
Old Sep 25, 2009, 9:52 pm
Suspended

I travel with a bottle of CHOLULA!
Old Sep 25, 2009, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Macbook Air + Mifi + Tmobile G1 google

Mifi is brilliant.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 10:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Nokia N810. You can't beat that. Has keyboard, connects via BT to your phone.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
9-inch netbook (with 3g in the US, hotel wi-fi elsewhere)
Old Oct 11, 2009, 4:03 am

iPhone or iPod Touch.

Smaller than a Netbook but you can browse full (non-mobile) pages no problem. Plus the app's and built in programs make it a winner.

A Netbook is small but still not usable in all locations, like standing for example. I have no opinion on the Nokia N810 either good nor bad, but would hope it had multi-touch and at least the functionality of the iPhone.

Last edited by UnoriginalGuy; Oct 11, 2009 at 4:03 am Reason: edit
Old Oct 11, 2009, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Thanks for all the responses. The field appears to be narrowing, for my requirements at least, between iPod Touch and Nokia N810. I would love to hear from people who have used both.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 2:48 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
As my iphone just bricked during an Apple automatic software update, I am concerned about having everything in one device Might I toss in the Fujitsu Lifebook for consideration? It's a 7" Mini-laptop rather than a netbook. The battery life doesn't last as long, but you still get a real keyboard.

I haven't owned a Nokia recently, but I still have one of those old book-style Nokias that I got in Europe 10+ years ago. Still works well.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 8:17 pm

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
I would strongly recommend an iPhone. An iPhone will never replace planning in advance with regards to the post above, but it's great for the queries that inevitably come up while your out. Being able to get transit directions instantly, get a list of nearby restaurants, find out attractions nearby can be invaluable.

I personally find the search for Wifi spots tedious; I much prefer to have a 3G connection. When your traveling internationally this gets tougher of course and I'm forced to depend on wifi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.