Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Away v. Eagle Creek

Away v. Eagle Creek

Old Jul 13, 2023, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Away v. Eagle Creek

Greetings:

We are preparing for a trip to Italy, flying in from Atlanta. We have decided to go with just carry-on luggage - we will be gone for 11 days, and have access to laundry facilities during most of the 11 days. We are deciding between the Away Carry On and the Eagle Creek Tarmac 22" with 4 wheels: basically hard sided v. soft sided. We would appreciate any comments and thoughts, pros and cons, from those of you that have experience with one or the other or both of the bags.

Much appreciated!
Old Jul 13, 2023, 2:04 pm

Eagle Creek is the best bag I have ever purchased. I've used the same carry on for ~15 years now - it's been all over the world with me and I've beaten the hell out of it. It's seemingly indestructible.

This just comes down to your personal choice. I can't stand hard shell bags because there is no flexibility with them. If I have something fragile that needs protection, I just wrap it up in clothes and I have never had any issues. The other thing I love about a soft case is that it can expand.

My Eagle Creek has two wheels. I much prefer this because the wheels are thicker (which is a bit harder to find nowadays), so they are much better on cobblestones and rough roads or sidewalks. This is where I can't stand away bags (or Rimowa, or really any other 4-wheeler) - the wheels are so tiny and flimsy.
Rusearch, Hoyaheel and uanj like this.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 1:15 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by pstm91
Eagle Creek is the best bag I have ever purchased. I've used the same carry on for ~15 years now - it's been all over the world with me and I've beaten the hell out of it. It's seemingly indestructible.

This just comes down to your personal choice. I can't stand hard shell bags because there is no flexibility with them. If I have something fragile that needs protection, I just wrap it up in clothes and I have never had any issues. The other thing I love about a soft case is that it can expand.

My Eagle Creek has two wheels. I much prefer this because the wheels are thicker (which is a bit harder to find nowadays), so they are much better on cobblestones and rough roads or sidewalks. This is where I can't stand away bags (or Rimowa, or really any other 4-wheeler) - the wheels are so tiny and flimsy.
Spot on about the larger wheels. If you are indoors spinners are great. But if you are going to be on streets or sidewalks the wheels become very important to consider.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 8:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
And take it from me, Eagle Creek has some of the best packing cubes! For long term travel, the lightest weight packing cubes, that are just as light as a cheap plastic ziplock BUT 100 times stronger. I stopped using all the other packing cubes I own.

Since they took a hit along with most other major luggage dealers, some of their signature designs may be discontinued. These are the best in my opinion.

Edit, hopefully this link works. I have the thee piece set:
Amazon

Eagle Creek website has newer designs as these have been discontinued for some reason.
TGarza likes this.

Last edited by Global Adventurer; Jul 17, 2023 at 5:29 am
Old Jul 16, 2023, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA explat,Adm Club,Priority Club, and all nonsense in my comic book mind.
Agree with comments posted. I also like the bigger wheels on the 2 wheel luggage...even my bigger suitcases are that way. I was in Ireland and the B and B owner said getting to train station might be difficult...then looked and said: 'OH, you have all terrain wheels on that thing".

I am not able to pull up the pack it specter bags from link you provided. I have some Eagle Creek compression bags,,, love them but looks like they are being discontinued?? the ones with double set of zippers??
Old Jul 16, 2023, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA explat,Adm Club,Priority Club, and all nonsense in my comic book mind.
Oops now I see the compression bags..

Whew I will be able to sleep tonight!!
Old Jul 19, 2023, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
And take it from me, Eagle Creek has some of the best packing cubes! For long term travel, the lightest weight packing cubes, that are just as light as a cheap plastic ziplock BUT 100 times stronger. I stopped using all the other packing cubes I own.

Since they took a hit along with most other major luggage dealers, some of their signature designs may be discontinued. These are the best in my opinion.

Edit, hopefully this link works. I have the thee piece set:
https://a.co/d/iveD1a5]Amazon [/url]

Eagle Creek website has newer designs as these have been discontinued for some reason.
Amazon link doesnt work for me.
Old Jul 19, 2023, 10:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Amazon link doesnt work for me.
Try this one hopefully it works.

​​​​​​ https://a.co/d/gjBu5tY
Old Jul 20, 2023, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by pstm91

I agree! My first Eagle Creek bag lasted about 16 years (and was repaired at least three times under warranty.)

Last edited by sushanna1; Jul 20, 2023 at 6:37 am Reason: Clarity
Old Jul 20, 2023, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
Try this one hopefully it works.

​​​​​​ https://a.co/d/gjBu5tY
That works. Thank you.
Old Aug 19, 2023, 11:11 pm

interesting the large compression bag no longer is offered.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.