Backpacks

Old Aug 18, 22, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Backpacks

Looking for suggestions on a backpack that can serve as a daily user for work and as a personal bag for carry on. I don't want anything tactical or mountaineering looking. And I do not like the clam shell style packs. Nothing too big, max 25-28L. Don't want to spend more than $200 if I can avoid it.

The Evergoods Civic Half Zip 22/26L is a good example of what I'm looking for.
Old Aug 19, 22, 3:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Platinum, IHG Platinum, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Tom Bihn would be my recommendation. You can select the colors and materials. I personally like the Synapse, but they have other models too. Their packs are designed for organization and easy access. Can be used in an office setting or for all types of traveling and commuting. And the pack reduces in size when not full.
Comes in a variety of colors and fabrics

Other Tom Bihn Backpacks
https://www.tombihn.com/collections/backpacks
Old Aug 19, 22, 7:03 am

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I have been using this off brand from Amazon for about a year and haven't found many faults with it:
Amazon Amazon
The price varies from $30-$50 over time
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Aug 24, 22, 12:22 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
I will never travel with a backpack that DOESNT have a hip belt. Just more secure, easier to climb, when you are covering a lot of ground. Or if you find yourself loaded to the hilt with shopping, someone else's gear, etc.

I like them when they start getting beat looking. New looking luggage is bad news....and dont get me going about camera bags.
Old Aug 24, 22, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
This looks pretty much like my 6.5 year old High Sierra backpack - black, heavy enough nylon/canvas that it does not show wear, padded computer sleeve big enough for my 15" portable second screen, additional sleeve for 13" laptop, roomy enough for tablet and the accoutrements needed for running Zooms from my hotel room - external speaker, outlet extender, etc., four separate compartments make it easy to find things and a quick minipocket for stashing phone, passport, COVID cards, etc. 40L capacity. And still looks reasonably professional. Under $50: https://smile.amazon.com/High-Sierra...dp/B000OZCDGK/ (Has doubled as weekend hiking trip bag, beach bag, room for SLR kit AND binocs, etc. as needed and still doesn't show wear)
Newer versions with different materials advertise only 36.5L capacity so YMMV.
Old Aug 24, 22, 2:29 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; National EE
I've had an Everki backpack for 4+ years. Looks brand new. Zero frays, loose threads, or stuck zippers.

Not as professional appearing as Tumi, etc., but much more upscale in appearance than North Face, etc.

https://www.everki.com/us_en/laptop-.../view-all.html
Old Aug 24, 22, 3:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Platinum, IHG Platinum, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by aww3583 View Post
I've had an Everki backpack for 4+ years. Looks brand new. Zero frays, loose threads, or stuck zippers.

Not as professional appearing as Tumi, etc., but much more upscale in appearance than North Face, etc.

https://www.everki.com/us_en/laptop-.../view-all.html
I actually like those. Thanks for the link.
Old Aug 24, 22, 6:29 pm

Programs: None
Tom Bihn Paragon.

SEE: https://www.tombihn.com/collections/...39461643583677

Scroll to the bottom and read the reviews. Mine describes how I used the Paragon on a 5 week trip to Romania, Italy, Monaco and Switzerland this summer

Outstanding bag!!! Holds much, much more than you think and yet is still small. Perfect!!!
Old Aug 30, 22, 11:18 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, HH D
My wife who lurks on the Tom Binh forum says that the American community there is currently in turmoil over the not-so recent buyout and change of management at TB. To hear her describe it, paroxysms of teeth gnashing and wailing.
Old Aug 31, 22, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by dannybhoy View Post
My wife who lurks on the Tom Binh forum says that the American community there is currently in turmoil over the not-so recent buyout and change of management at TB. To hear her describe it, paroxysms of teeth gnashing and wailing.
Wow! I didn't know this.😢 But, all good things must come to an end. Probably a good time to buy up all the Tom Bihn inventory before the quality decreases.
TPACjv likes this.
Old Sep 1, 22, 8:03 am

Programs: DM Gold, Marriott Plat
Sooo many options

I'm a bit of a bag nut... you might check out these guys: Bags & Cases Alpha One Niner. I recently bought their Whitley. Very great pack, a tad heavier than I'd like. I'm also talking to these guys about getting a custom version of this one made: ULA Dragonfly | ULA Equipment Ultralight Backpacks (ula-equipment.com). It's very light, very minimalist. There are so many options!
Old Sep 1, 22, 8:29 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Check out ebags--the mother lode, city slim, or pro slim lines.
TGarza and Global Adventurer like this.
Old Sep 1, 22, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I ve been very pleased with B&R ZDX Cargo backpack as a general travel bag - good capacity, good organization, comfy straps and padding, convenient top surface pocket for quick access things like sunglasses snacks cables etc

it is much lighter than those made of typical carryon fabric but being B&R if smth doesnt hold up i'll get a replacement... so far so good though
Old Sep 2, 22, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by rjflies View Post
Check out ebags--the mother lode, city slim, or pro slim lines.
I have two other versions. First travel backpacks i purchased.
Old Sep 2, 22, 4:58 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum Elite, Delta Silver Medallion
I have a Tumi Alpha Nathan backpack that I really like! Its not too big but not too small. Fits enough for a weekend trip. Useful as a daily business bag as well.

I think they just discontinued it so perhaps you could find one on sale.

Search this Thread