Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Backpacks

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2023, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ideas on a backpack that can hold 2 laptops (14”) and assorted chargers/iPad/etc for under $200? I want something that looks professional and somewhat stylish, is durable, etc.

So far I’m thinking of the North Face Surge or Timbuk2 Division. I like the idea of Tom Bihn and Nomatic, but they are a little more than I feel like spending.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Ideas on a backpack that can hold 2 laptops (14”) and assorted chargers/iPad/etc for under $200?
I needed a rolling backpack that could fit under the seat for my family trips that could hold 2 laptops, 3 ipads, 3 headsets, chargers, and then all the other assorted carry-on stuff. Tried many bags and eventually found Eco Style and it has been the perfect bag. They have several non-rolling models: https://ecostylecases.com/collections/backpacks
Old Jan 24, 2023, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dbuckho
I needed a rolling backpack that could fit under the seat for my family trips that could hold 2 laptops, 3 ipads, 3 headsets, chargers, and then all the other assorted carry-on stuff. Tried many bags and eventually found Eco Style and it has been the perfect bag. They have several non-rolling models: https://ecostylecases.com/collections/backpacks
Those look nice. I'd also been looking at the Tom Binh Brain bag, which is designed for two laptops and has a ton of other thoughtful features. It's about double (or more) the cost of the Eco Style but I still kinda prefer it I think.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 3:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Those look nice. I'd also been looking at the Tom Binh Brain bag, which is designed for two laptops and has a ton of other thoughtful features. It's about double (or more) the cost of the Eco Style but I still kinda prefer it I think.
The good thing about the brain bag is the compression straps. No matter how much stuff you put in there you can always reduce the size. I have several bags from Tom Bihn and especially like my Synapse.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 9:29 pm

In that size & price range I went with the Tortuga Outbreaker Laptop backpack.

Sorry I can't post links here.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
The good thing about the brain bag is the compression straps. No matter how much stuff you put in there you can always reduce the size. I have several bags from Tom Bihn and especially like my Synapse.
I'm trying to figure out if it's too big. I may exchange it for the Synapse or the Synik (though at that point things are getting too expensive).

The Tortuga also looks like a possibility but there's something about its design I don't like.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 8:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
I'm trying to figure out if it's too big. I may exchange it for the Synapse or the Synik (though at that point things are getting too expensive).

The Tortuga also looks like a possibility but there's something about its design I don't like.
I feel ya! I can never make up my mind, so I've just ended up buying many pieces of cabin/checked luggage, backpacks, duffels, you name it. Now I have something for all occasions and don't have to even think about it anymore. And it ends up being expensive, but most bags will last you a lifetime if you rotate your usage. Good luck!
Rusearch likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
OP here. For what it's worth, I went with the Bellroy Classic. It's a great bag, slightly on the minimalistic side and a tad too small on some occasions. If I could do it over, I would get the Bellroy Classic Plus.
gfunkdave, hurnik and Rusearch like this.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by theshaun
OP here. For what it's worth, I went with the Bellroy Classic. It's a great bag, slightly on the minimalistic side and a tad too small on some occasions. If I could do it over, I would get the Bellroy Classic Plus.
Thanks for reporting back👍
Rusearch likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I ordered a Brain bag and a Synik 30, both of which arrived today. The Brain is really too big. It would be a nice weekend backpack. I like the Synik but even the 30 seems big -I put all my stuff in it with plenty of room to spare. I think I’ll order the smaller Synik and see how that goes. Still, I’m struggling with the fact that it really doesn’t seem like a $300 bag.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 3:46 pm

I ordered a Brain bag and a Synik 30, both of which arrived today. The Brain is really too big. It would be a nice weekend backpack. I like the Synik but even the 30 seems big -I put all my stuff in it with plenty of room to spare. I think I’ll order the smaller Synik and see how that goes. Still, I’m struggling with the fact that it really doesn’t seem like a $300 bag.
I know. I felt the same way about all my Tom Bihn bags. But, when I purchased mine the company backed their products and you could call and speak to someone who actually worked there and not overseas. Also, it is handmade in the USA. But, I understand how you feel. All my bags are the original halcyon black/white pattern that they discontinued, so I'm happy I purchased them back when I did. My Synapse 25 is wonderful. I think the Synik is good for the clamshell option that many folks like.
artemis likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I picked up a backpack at Mountain Warehouse when I was in the UK last summer for about $45. It's great; bare-bones but has all the compartments I need and a key ring holder, and it's very light. They've got a great selection of backpacks at similarly excellent prices.

I hate spending unnecessarily.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 10:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I'm looking for a new backpack that is on the larger size, but without wheels. I had a great one, but after about 6 years, it is fraying. I bought a new Targus, similar to my older one, but it just doesn't have the capacity of the old one. Suggestions?
Old Feb 5, 2023, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
I'm looking for a new backpack that is on the larger size, but without wheels. I had a great one, but after about 6 years, it is fraying. I bought a new Targus, similar to my older one, but it just doesn't have the capacity of the old one. Suggestions?
How about "ebags motherlode"?

https://www.ebags.com/backpacks-bags...er=mother-lode
Old Feb 5, 2023, 3:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
Maybe. I don't like that it doesn't seem to have a small front pocket, unless I'm missing it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.