Wiki Posts
Search

Trip insurance for a (mostly) refundable flight

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2022, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriot (via SPG) Lifetime Gold
Trip insurance for a (mostly) refundable flight

Two months ago, I made a speculative FF booking on UA to Sydney for October. UA will let you cancel for no fee up until 30 days prior to travel. However, you can *change* an award flight after 30 days for no fee--assuming you change to a flight that's more than 31 days out, you can then cancel for no fee.

It now looks like my trip will happen and I'm looking for trip insurance that includes Cancel for any Reason (CFAR) coverage, which needs to be purchased within 21 days of making my "initial deposit." According to the trip insurance broker, the initial deposit was when I first made the FF booking (even though it's completely refundable for the next few months), so I'm ineligible for CFAR. But per the UA cancellation above, there is a 0% chance I would end up claiming the cancellation fee on my flight. Two questions: 1) since the flight is refundable as of now, do they still consider the deposit date when I booked? 2) If I never make a claim for the award flight, how would this have an effect on the policy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.