Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What bag do you use under the seat?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2022, 7:47 am
Original Poster

What bag do you use under the seat?

In the past, I have always checked a bag and used a carry-on bag to hold headphones and other little stuff. Now I want to try flying with only carry-ons. I am curious what bags you use for under-seat use. I am looking for something medium size with easy access to accessories like headphones and power cables. It would be nice to not have to pull the bag out from under the seat to grab something. This would be in addition to a rollaboard. And I don't want something maximum size because it will take up all my leg room. And a bonus if it can slip over the handle of my rollaboard.

Two bags I am considering are the B&R Underseat Duffle and the Red Oxx PR4 Small Duffle. What are your other suggestions?

BTW, I am a man and do not carry a purse.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 10:03 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Lo & Sons' Catalina Deluxe Tote.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 11:30 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Either a tote (I have a gazillion, though only a couple have a bag pass-through for rolling - I like those, and I always choose one with a zipper, but depends on what I'm doing during the trip) Men don't usually buy "totes" though I'm not sure why that's gendered. For super casual trips, I'll use a north face backpack - my husband and I both have the Recon, his is older and mine is the woman's model. I like his better (he has better outside pockets) but the curved straps on the woman's model are really nice.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 5:26 pm

My $ .02

Briggs & Riley 231-x Expandable Cabin Bag. Try to obtain the older model and not the one that was just introduced.It has a better profile IMO. Lots of pockets and organization. Comes in black, navy, and olive (although this colorway might be on the brink of discontinuation) Great bag if you frequent regional jets.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 4:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by LiveOak
Briggs & Riley 231-x Expandable Cabin Bag. Try to obtain the older model and not the one that was just introduced.It has a better profile IMO. Lots of pockets and organization. Comes in black, navy, and olive (although this colorway might be on the brink of discontinuation) Great bag if you frequent regional jets.
+1. The Briggs & Riley 231x is the most versatile piece of luggage I've owned. Great bag.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 4:58 am

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product...DAYLTTV26.html

Expands, has sleeve for wheeled bag, Open like a clamshell, but has a front top pockets that is great for all my wires etc. Not too ugly.

I can do a long weekend with this very easily, because once expanded it takes another 6 litres in a front pocket.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 5:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
+3 Best bag I own. Just make sure you get a seat that has actual legroom, as some don't due to electrical consoles etc.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Badenoch
+1. The Briggs & Riley 231x is the most versatile piece of luggage I've owned. Great bag.
+1 more. It works spectacularly as both a briefcase for tech as well as luggage. I’ve got it in olive and am looking for a backup in black
Old Jun 4, 2022, 11:52 am

what are the differences between the old and new besides visuals? Any idea where the older one can be sourced?
Old Jun 4, 2022, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
+3 Best bag I own. Just make sure you get a seat that has actual legroom, as some don't due to electrical consoles etc.
good point about the leg room! Regional jets don’t have much room under the seats even for this awesome bit of kit and if you end up in rows 1or 2 it’s going in the overhead anyways.

I’ve got an old Andiamo Valoroso that offers about 85% of the BR231’s functionality because it’s slightly smaller but wider. This reminds me to dig it out and try it on my next trips to see how it fares on the regionals in conjunction with a plane side checked roller.

May also try the red oxx air boss and metro or gator though the air boss might be tough to get in the overhead if not packed correctly.

Last edited by quan98; Jun 4, 2022 at 12:08 pm
Old Jun 4, 2022, 12:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by quan98
+1 more. It works spectacularly as both a briefcase for tech as well as luggage. I’ve got it in olive and am looking for a backup in black
I made this same statement several months ago and haven't purchased a backup one yet, but since they came out with the new model, I'm going to get my butt in gear and buy one soon before ALL the older models are no longer available. I have a black one in my amazon cart I need to buy, as I own an olive one too.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by quan98
what are the differences between the old and new besides visuals? Any idea where the older one can be sourced?
There's not a major difference, however, it looks like you are losing space the way the new one looks, but the new one is a bit larger according to the specs, also I don't like the snap handles (personal preference), I like the magnetic closure, and the new one looks cheaper in my opinion. If I had no choice, I would get the new one, but I'm getting mine off Amazon soon while they still have them in stock. I would think ebay would have them too.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 12:39 pm

I just realized that there's no black original model available on Amazon USA website (at least not now), but there's black and olive available on the Mexico website where I plan to purchase mine. The price ends up basically the same even including customs fees.

*and they have many left to purchase, so I don't see why they aren't listed on the USA website since that's where they are coming from. Which leads me to believe that they will post them for sale again.
https://www.amazon.com.mx/gp/product...GVHAT2WD8&th=1

Last edited by Global Adventurer; Jun 4, 2022 at 1:00 pm Reason: added website
Old Jun 4, 2022, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all of your suggestions. I would be interested in putting my hands on the 231-X, but that may have to wait. I could not pass up an excellent bargain on a B&R 221 (previous generation, I believe) that I found on eBay. I’ll report back once it arrives and I get a chance to use it.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Camman595
Thanks everyone, I appreciate all of your suggestions. I would be interested in putting my hands on the 231-X, but that may have to wait. I could not pass up an excellent bargain on a B&R 221 (previous generation, I believe) that I found on eBay. I’ll report back once it arrives and I get a chance to use it.
Good luck on your new purchase. I pulled the trigger for the black 231-X while Amazon still had it. I'm going to pair it with my pelican roller boards. I'm just glad I got a backup one before they're nowhere to be found. That's happen to me before unfortunately. Yes, report back on how you like the 221 tote. But, if that top "U Section" is anything like the B&R small two-wheel cabin bag I also have, you may have issues closing it. That's why I like the 231-X so much, all the sections are easy to open and close with no effort.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.