Search

A carry-on, not rollaboard, bag!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2022, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
A carry-on, not rollaboard, bag!

<rant>
I have some history as a classic one-bag traveler, although I don't insist on traveling that way -- I started using a rolling bag after breaking one arm and dislocating the other shoulder right before travel a few years ago, but last summer I made an Alaska trip with only carry-on bags (one the maximum size to carry aboard, the other counting as a personal item) because of not wanting to pay bag-check fees for the short hops on AS. By "carry-on" I mean a non-wheeled bag, weighing less and holding more than a wheeled bag that would fit in an overhead compartment. I use an old eBags weekender, probably two or three versions ago. It's a convertible bag, with backpack straps, but because of the shoulder injury I no longer use it that way.

Anyway, I recently wanted to add an international-size carry-on, also non-wheeled, and it was startlingly hard to find one that met my other requirements. On retail websites, selecting "carry-on" often returns a selection of only rolling bags. I eventually chose a discontinued model, the prior-version Osprey Global Carry-On. The current version appears to have wheels, backpack straps, or both.

It made me feel old. Does no one younger than 70 (me) carry bags any longer?
</rant>
Old Apr 14, 2022, 7:19 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
There are TONS of bags called "weekenders" which are basically duffel bags (with better organization or ergonomics, sometimes) that are what (I think) you are describing. The bags are still there - they just call them something else....Or "duffel bags". Or......I complain regularly that "no" bags have 2 wheels now as they've all moved to 4-wheel spinners (which I do not like nor want to buy). It's not true - 2 wheel options exist - but not always in the brands or lines where I want them to exist. Ah well.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
I complain regularly that "no" bags have 2 wheels now as they've all moved to 4-wheel spinners (which I do not like nor want to buy). It's not true - 2 wheel options exist - but not always in the brands or lines where I want them to exist. Ah well.
Yes. I'm now the owner of two two-wheeled bags but the choice wasn't large. One is allowed as a domestic rollaboard; the other always has to be checked. Mine are eBags and Eagle Creek.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 9:33 am

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
There are still options like the briggs n Riley 231 or the Patagonia mlc which fit the bill. There are also offerings from red oxx and Tom binh as well.

Also the north face has Basecamp duffels which fall into this category and are light and fantastically durable. Lastly, Timbuktu has convertible backpacks which can transition from airport to trail pretty effectively.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 8:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by TPACjv
There are still options like the briggs n Riley 231 or the Patagonia mlc which fit the bill. There are also offerings from red oxx and Tom binh as well.

Also the north face has Basecamp duffels which fall into this category and are light and fantastically durable. Lastly, Timbuktu has convertible backpacks which can transition from airport to trail pretty effectively.
Yep! I carry ONLY the Briggs and Riley 231 expandable cabin shoulder bag on one week trips. That's all I need fully loaded. On 2-3 month trips I take the B&R 4 wheel spinner too.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 4:20 pm

Check out RedOxx. I have one of their messenger bags and have been all over using it and it’s very good quality. All made in USA. Many options, but they aren’t wheeled products.
TGarza likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 2:35 pm

I've recently tried a Tortuga Outbreaker Laptop bag, and I'm a fan. I can travel a long time in it, and it fits underseat.

At 27 liters, it may be smaller than what you're looking for; they also have stuff at 35L and 45L.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions! One consideration I had is that I might someday want to use the carry-on bag along with a (checked) wheeled bag, so I wanted it to have a sleeve to fit over the handle of a rolling bag. As I said, I'm not a doctrinaire one-bagger, and if the trip is long enough or complicated enough I will use whatever luggage is needed.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 1:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
That's how I use my briggs&riley 231, on top of my spinner that I can either carryon on checked bag. The 231 expands greatly and can be used as carryon or as a personal item. But, after traveling for too many years, I came to the conclusion not just one set of luggage is good for all types of travel, so that's why I have a boatload of luggage from backpacks to luxury pieces. You can never have too much luggage because you can use them to store stuff in and especially have one or two for a bugout bag for emergencies.
kochleffel and Hoyaheel like this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
That's how I use my briggs&riley 231, on top of my spinner that I can either carryon on checked bag. The 231 expands greatly and can be used as carryon or as a personal item. But, after traveling for too many years, I came to the conclusion not just one set of luggage is good for all types of travel, so that's why I have a boatload of luggage from backpacks to luxury pieces. You can never have too much luggage because you can use them to store stuff in and especially have one or two for a bugout bag for emergencies.
I reached the same conclusion, except wrt luxury pieces. As it happens, I have only one bag that is too large to carry aboard at all, and one other that would be allowed on domestic airlines but which I'd rather not carry. Both of those have wheels.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 11:41 am

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
I had those eBags Weekenders. Did their job. I now have a Cotopaxi Allpa 28L as my cabin bag. lightweight and you can get the Del Dia version, which gives you a ton of different colorful choices. There are also a 35L and a 42L version available. The 42L is 21.5 x 13 x 9in (55 x 34 x 22.5cm) so it could be a carry on, too. I have 2 other Cotopaxi bags that I use for hauling camping stuff, and they have held up well. As for a sleeve to put over the roller handle, I have NITE ize gear tie to hold the straps on the handle.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by slidergirl
I had those eBags Weekenders. Did their job. I now have a Cotopaxi Allpa 28L as my cabin bag. lightweight and you can get the Del Dia version, which gives you a ton of different colorful choices. There are also a 35L and a 42L version available. The 42L is 21.5 x 13 x 9in (55 x 34 x 22.5cm) so it could be a carry on, too. I have 2 other Cotopaxi bags that I use for hauling camping stuff, and they have held up well. As for a sleeve to put over the roller handle, I have NITE ize gear tie to hold the straps on the handle.
I've never heard of this brand before. I actually like all the mixed colors. I mainly have Patagonia black hole duffels which I really like. I saved a Cotopaxi duffle in my Amazon cart for a future purchase possibly.
slidergirl likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 7:26 pm

I bought an Osprey Daylight backpack. Has a trolley sleeve, opens like a clamshell and expands. Also has a laptop sleeve. Super light and very comfortable, well organised inside. I can cram a ton of stuff in it. Can work for a week for me, or longer if I use it as a personal item and take a wheeled carry on for longer trips.

​​​​​​https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product...DAYLTTV26.html
Old Apr 29, 2022, 10:28 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
I started One-bagging over 12+ years ago starting with RedOxx bags (Skytrain, Airboss Mini). I also have a Patagonia MLC, Osprey Porter 30. I finally settled on GoRuck bags about 10 years ago as I just like their robustness and the packing style. They do not however have a passthrough sleeve.

I'd say for your needs look at the newest release of the Osprey Porter 30 or 46. Should be a good option.
Old May 1, 2022, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by CosmosHuman
Check out RedOxx. I have one of their messenger bags and have been all over using it and it’s very good quality. All made in USA. Many options, but they aren’t wheeled products.
+1 for Redoxx.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.