Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Aluminum Rimowa or invest in GameStop?

Aluminum Rimowa or invest in GameStop?

Old Mar 3, 21, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, AAdvantage, Hilton/Hyatt/Marriott
Invest in aluminum Rimowa or GameStop?

Iíve had a polycarbonate salsa deluxe for 2.5 years, which for reasons unclear to me has ended up completely trashed: the casing is cracked, one wheel is about to fall off, and 3/4 of the side supports have been ripped off. Itís so bad the Rimowa repair shop said I must have dropped the bag from 30ft high, which I obviously didnít. Long story short, I need a new bag.

I donít think Iíve been running the Rimowa particularly hard, I do travel quite a bit and not just from one 5* to the next, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Iím willing to give Rimowa another shot, this time with an aluminum casing (thinking Classic). Iím wondering if anyone can comment on the solidity of the aluminum vs. polycarbonate as Iíve heard both that itís more resistant and more fragile.

Thanks!

Last edited by Chuvash; Mar 3, 21 at 10:22 am
Old Mar 3, 21, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Definitely not fragile*. It gets scratched, so what. If it gets dented, it can be straightened/repaired (try that with a PC one!). My large suitcases went through some rough handling, but they could be brought back to normal service.

(Just read that 75% of GameStop investors are out of money ATM)

*A couple of years ago there was a picture in the local press how during an airport shooting incident (IST?) a bullet was topped by the pax aluminum Rimowa cabin luggage.
MarcDavidMiller likes this.
Old Mar 4, 21, 11:31 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriot Platinum, IHG Platinum, Choice Privilege Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Chuvash View Post
Iíve had a polycarbonate salsa deluxe for 2.5 years, which for reasons unclear to me has ended up completely trashed: the casing is cracked, one wheel is about to fall off, and 3/4 of the side supports have been ripped off. Itís so bad the Rimowa repair shop said I must have dropped the bag from 30ft high, which I obviously didnít. Long story short, I need a new bag.

I donít think Iíve been running the Rimowa particularly hard, I do travel quite a bit and not just from one 5* to the next, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Iím willing to give Rimowa another shot, this time with an aluminum casing (thinking Classic). Iím wondering if anyone can comment on the solidity of the aluminum vs. polycarbonate as Iíve heard both that itís more resistant and more fragile.

Thanks!
Have you thought about the "Hybrid" version? Aluminum casing, corners, etc and poly body. I have a cabin small aluminum original and I only bought it for carry -on. Don't plan on getting any scratches or dents in it. The only one I have my eyes on is the Hybrid, because I think it reduce the scratches and the corners and frame will should absorb any major hits. Not sure because I've never used one. But in my opinion, all poly or all aluminum wouldn't work for me in constant usuage. I think the poly would crack/bend, and the aluminum look like a tank hit it after many trips. Good luck. Oh, this summer I plan on buying a Pelican original carryon model. That thing will take a licking and its waterproof. That will be my primary luggage for international travel to places that are known to damage luggage.
Old Mar 4, 21, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, AAdvantage, Hilton/Hyatt/Marriott
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger View Post
Definitely not fragile*. It gets scratched, so what. If it gets dented, it can be straightened/repaired (try that with a PC one!). My large suitcases went through some rough handling, but they could be brought back to normal service.
thanks for the feedback. I donít mind if it gets scratched, itís part of the fun as long as it doesnít get cracked.

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer View Post
Have you thought about the "Hybrid" version? Aluminum casing, corners, etc and poly body. I have a cabin small aluminum original and I only bought it for carry -on. Don't plan on getting any scratches or dents in it. The only one I have my eyes on is the Hybrid, because I think it reduce the scratches and the corners and frame will should absorb any major hits.
surprisingly enough my issue wasnít the corners but the main frame (see pictures). Iím very skeptical of going with poly again

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer View Post
Oh, this summer I plan on buying a Pelican original carryon model. That thing will take a licking and its waterproof. That will be my primary luggage for international travel to places that are known to damage luggage.

thats a great idea actually. Iím going to DRC this summer and as much as I like looking stylish on my pictures with rebels in the jungle, a pelican actually makes a lot of sense. Iíll look into it as an adventure bag.
Old Mar 4, 21, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Wow, that's some serious damage - PC (polycarbonate) shouldn't break like that. Was it all in one go or separate damages?
Old Mar 4, 21, 2:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriot Platinum, IHG Platinum, Choice Privilege Platinum, Wyndham Gold
thats a great idea actually. Iím going to DRC this summer and as much as I like looking stylish on my pictures with rebels in the jungle, a pelican actually makes a lot of sense. Iíll look into it as an adventure bag.
I plan to go back to Nepal whenever travel goes almost back to normal, and that's exactly why I decided to the pelican. I'm buying this exact one when I go back to the US in July. An empty one, and I'm buying the basic bottom and top foam insert separately, because I don't need the pluck and pull foam for electronics. I always steer away from black bags so I'll be getting the lime one. Of course they have yellow, orange and red too 😀 But, the majority of people get the classic black.

Last edited by Global Adventurer; Mar 4, 21 at 2:31 pm
Old Mar 4, 21, 2:29 pm

thanks for the feedback. I donít mind if it gets scratched, itís part of the fun as long as it doesnít get cracked.

surprisingly enough my issue wasnít the corners but the main frame (see pictures). Iím very skeptical of going with poly again

Holy mother of God! That Rimowa is jacked up😳. Thanks for the photos, just made my mind up that even the hybrid is off my list now. Looks like Pelican is the way to go for durability all the way around, and Rimowa aluminum for the bling factor until it gets scratched and dinged up and the frame warps. Still can't believe those photos!
Old Mar 4, 21, 4:55 pm

Oh, and to answer your question......"Invest in aluminum Rimowa or GameStop?" Invest in GameStop!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: