Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Two-Wheeled Carry-on/Rollaboard Recs

Two-Wheeled Carry-on/Rollaboard Recs

Old Mar 12, 2021, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
Tumi still has the two-wheeled international carry-on available on their website (on sale)...who knows how many are left, though.

Tumi International Two-wheeled
Interesting...when I went to their site and selected "carry on luggage", the only option under "wheels" on the left is "4 wheels".

And the link you posted says there is only 1 available...so if anyone wants it, act quickly!

ETA: and now it shows "out of stock"

Last edited by ikwia; Mar 14, 2021 at 1:12 pm
Old Mar 15, 2021, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ikwia
Interesting...when I went to their site and selected "carry on luggage", the only option under "wheels" on the left is "4 wheels".
Prior to starting this thread, this was my experience, as well.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 10:41 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent

And the link you posted says there is only 1 available...so if anyone wants it, act quickly!

ETA: and now it shows "out of stock"
Originally Posted by aww3583
Prior to starting this thread, this was my experience, as well.
I landed there by google search after seeing this discussion...Tumi probably pulled the 2 wheel search option on the filter ages ago.

Hope someone here got the last one(s)...I am not in the market, so I'm definitely not the culprit.

There's always ebay...(for the Kirkland model too).
Old Mar 15, 2021, 1:09 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by aww3583
Any recs for a two-wheeled carry-on? Random list of considerations below.

1. Love the concept of the B&R Domestic Carry-On Two Wheel. I grabbed on one Amazon last year when they were half off. I sent it back when I realized the suiter in the lid wasn’t removable and ate up a ton of space. If it was missing that one feature, it would be the perfect bag. I don’t carry suits or clothes on hangers on any trip.

2. No 4-wheel swivels. No auxiliary batteries, smart features, etc.

3. Prefer soft side, but hard side is acceptable. 90% of my travel is road warrior in and out of hotels. 80-100 nights per year, less than 10 flights.

4. Tumi only sells 4-wheeled bags.

5. A warranty would be nice if the price point is higher. For the last 8 years, my method has been to purchase an entry level Samsonite at an outlet and discard it when the wheel/zipper fails. I’ve gone through 4-5 bags.

Edit: thoughts on the B&R Commuter series?
Have you checked out TravelPro Crew Expert or their Platinum line - two wheeled options. I currently use the TravelPro Crew Expert (larger of the two versions) and the B&R Domestic Baseline, and hands down, I gravitate using the TravelPro for all of my trips.

The CrewExpert has a 5 year warranty, and does have a non-removable suiter. The platinum line has a lifetime warranty. Both don't meet all of your criteria, but would recommend looking into them.

Last edited by HaleiwaFlyer; Mar 16, 2021 at 3:17 pm
Old Mar 16, 2021, 9:48 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by wchinchen
Have you checked out TravelPro Crew Expert or their Platinum line - two wheeled options. I currently use the TravelPro Crew Expert (larger of the two versions) and the B&R Domestic Baseline, and hands down, I gravitate using the TravelPro for all of my trips.

The CrewExpert has a 5 year warranty, and does have a non-removable suiter. The platinum line has a lifetime warranty. Both don't meet all of your criteria, but would recommend looking into them.
Thanks for this suggestion. The "max" looks like it may be large enough to attract attention at sizers (e.g., at the LAX escalators or even at the gate). What has been your experience?

Also, the smaller version makes no mention of a suiter at all, and the larger says the suiter is removable...is that a typo in your post?

Those pockets on the front (the laptop pocket) also look like wasted space if you use a separate laptop bag (as I do), especially if they're padded. What good uses have you found for those?

Last edited by ikwia; Mar 16, 2021 at 9:54 am
Old Mar 16, 2021, 9:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold

I looked at the Crew Expert yesterday online, and I would like to know why you like it better than the Briggs&Riley? I have the international carry-on B&R and love it. I do like that back pocket on the Crew Expert. Just curious why you like it better. Thanks.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 11:16 am

I have the B&R two wheeled international roller board too and love it. The compression close is much better than I imagined it would be. It also has more internal volume than the domestic version. Although you have to be careful over the years I have found that many of the dimensions posted on the B&R website are not necessarily a reflection of reality.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 11:49 am
formerly wchinchen

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
I looked at the Crew Expert yesterday online, and I would like to know why you like it better than the Briggs&Riley? I have the international carry-on B&R and love it. I do like that back pocket on the Crew Expert. Just curious why you like it better. Thanks.
As I go from Hawaii to the Pacific NW quite often, the Crew Expert has an easier large/front pocket to stuff and take out a jacket from. The Crew Expert handle is bit more robust to place a heavy messenger bag on. The B&R handle has more flex due to the size of the rectangular tubes. As my messenger bag is quite heavy, the B&R handle flexes during airport walking versus the Crew Expert. The Crew Expert is built more like a tank. I haven't actually touched the back pocket, nor used it.

Cons of the Crew Expert: 5 year hassle free warranty, and no compression mechanism like B&R.

I would recommend give it a try, and see what you think.

Last edited by HaleiwaFlyer; Mar 16, 2021 at 3:16 pm
Old Mar 16, 2021, 11:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
As I go from Hawaii to the Pacific NW quite often, the Crew Expert has an easier large/front pocket to stuff and take out a jacket from. The Crew Expert handle is bit more robust to place a heavy messenger bag on. The B&R handle has more flex due to the size of the rectangular tubes. As my messenger bag is quite heavy, the B&R handle flexes during airport walking versus the Crew Expert. The Crew Expert is built more like a tank. I haven't actually touched the back pocket, nor used it.

Cons of the Crew Expert: 5 year warranty, and no compression mechanism like B&R.

I would recommend give it a try, and see what you think.
Thanks! Like I need more luggage 😃 I added it to my amazon cart, I think I would like the smaller version, but I need to buy a pelican first. One thing for sure almost all flight crew I see have travepro luggage. Haven't seen any with Briggs or Rimowa 😃
Old Mar 16, 2021, 1:17 pm
formerly wchinchen

Thanks for this suggestion. The "max" looks like it may be large enough to attract attention at sizers (e.g., at the LAX escalators or even at the gate). What has been your experience?

Also, the smaller version makes no mention of a suiter at all, and the larger says the suiter is removable...is that a typo in your post?

Those pockets on the front (the laptop pocket) also look like wasted space if you use a separate laptop bag (as I do), especially if they're padded. What good uses have you found for those?
I travel with the max, and never had to be placed into the sizer with Delta or AA. It will fit on Embraer EJ-175 with a shove. The fabric has held up with valets on Alaska Airlines, and shoving against the EJ-175 storage bins. My apologies, the suiter is removable and I misspoke.

I use the front pocket to quickly store or access jacket for winter travel, since I travel from Hawaii to cold climate quite often per month. I would recommend using it to access clothing or any other bigger items at a moment notice. Same as yourself, I have a messenger bag to store my electronics.

I bought the bag with similar requirements as the OP: two wheeled, didn't want a smart luggage (no batteries)/USB, and something bomb proof. I just wish they had a lifetime warranty on this product, versus five years, as I liked the aesthetics of the Crew Expert over the Platinum line.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 1:33 pm
formerly wchinchen

Thanks! Like I need more luggage 😃 I added it to my amazon cart, I think I would like the smaller version, but I need to buy a pelican first. One thing for sure almost all flight crew I see have travepro luggage. Haven't seen any with Briggs or Rimowa 😃
I think a collection of luggages is a unique FlyerTalk dilemma

I have seen a lot more of Luggageworks products being hauled around by crew lately too.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 2:13 pm

I think a collection of luggages is a unique FlyerTalk dilemma

I have seen a lot more of Luggageworks products being hauled around by crew lately too.
Luggageworks??? Off to see what they look like. Never heard of them.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 8:29 am

I travel with the max, and never had to be placed into the sizer with Delta or AA. It will fit on Embraer EJ-175 with a shove. The fabric has held up with valets on Alaska Airlines, and shoving against the EJ-175 storage bins. My apologies, the suiter is removable and I misspoke.
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. The width was what primarily concerned me...the 15" wide makes me a bit nervous, especially for situations like the LAX escalator dragons, who seem to apply a very strict interpretation of "fits comfortably" in the sizer.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Excellent! Enjoy😊
I had to return the B&R 19" Commuter Series. Price, quality, ease of use were all phenomenal. It was just too small.

At home, I sleep with a queen-sized talalay latex pillow and it is the #1 item that ensures a good night's sleep on the road. It fit perfectly in my 24" bargain-basement Samsonite carry-on. I tried every way possible short of a vacuum bag to get it into the B&R.

Off to try something else. TravelPro and LuggageWorks look interesting. The Kirkland bag is worth looking into, but it's been discontinued. I'll have to get lucky on eBay for one of those.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 5:11 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
I have a 10 year old 2 wheel ebags rollaboard. the current model is slightly different. This thing is a tank, so my current standard is this plus the cabin zero backpack when I need to take a lot of bulky stuff like my ski helmet or dive equipment. I don't take suits anymore but if I need a jacket I use the one linked below. Thus no need for a suiter. That jacket never wrinkles....

https://www.ebags.com/luggage/wheele...RoCVbsQAvD_BwE

https://shop.bluffworks.com/products...xoCvkgQAvD_BwE

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.