Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

New Tumi Trunk - too big for airline check in?!?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2020, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador

It seems TUMI has released a trunk version from its 19 degree collection!
https://www.tumi.com/p/rolling-trunk-01355981776/

I just love this collection and I have two of the Extended trip cases for use as checked luggage. I got so excited about this new trunk version that I almost ordered one. However, on reading the dimensions, the total is about 64 inches! Most airlines have a max dimension of 62 inches! What a bummer!

Is this geared more for non-air travelers? I have always wondered for what type of trip people would buy/ use the "Worldwide Trip" size from TUMI.

Edit:
It appears there's a polycarbonate trunk version which is only 59 inches in total dimensions!
(Will airlines let me off the hook with just being 2 inches over? LOL)

Last edited by hikouki; Oct 4, 2020 at 12:59 pm
Old Oct 7, 2020, 1:52 am

Programs: M/M
Ultimately, any airline has the right to charge you for luggage that is oversized.

If you choose to check-in the trunk, do so knowing you are responsible for any oversize fees that the carrier has.

If they happen to not break out the measuring tape, then consider it an act of goodwill that they accepted the luggage and waived any fees you were technically liable for.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 2:04 am

While this doesn't apply to Tumi in particular, my girlfriend and I have been travelling with 2 'oversized' suitcases ourselves for the past two years.
I just added the dimensions up, and the total is 66.8 inches. In that period we've flown many different airlines from large ones such as United, QR, Emirates & Air Canada, to smaller ones such as Brussels Airlines, Air Bangkok, Austrian, Garuda Indonesia and even some tiny airlines and low-cost ones such as Scoot, Air Seychelles and Maldivian. Not once has someone even batted an eye when checking in our suitcases.

We have a trunk version of them as well which is slightly smaller (62.8 inches) and no problems with that one either, although we've only travelled with it twice.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 10:19 am

Personal experience

Hey OP, I went ahead with a 2nd had purchase on a worldwide and shortly thereafter used it for a trip overseas.

While I am happy to report Lufthansa did not classify it as oversize, there is no getting away with the overweight tag. If you have any intention to fill its enormous capacity with anything denser than feathers, it will tip the scale.

Where this suitcase shines is solo rail trips, I can nearly pack all my belongings within it while I’m on vacation or moving between flats. It handles its own weight with ease. I look forward to getting more mileage out of it.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
I doubt if airline agents will break out a measuring tape, but they will definitely weigh any checked bags. Make sure your giant trunk isn't overweight, usually 50 pounds. Check with individual airlines for their exact rules.
TPACjv likes this.
Old May 2, 2022, 5:52 am

Programs: flying blue
any feed back recently from this trunk i am waiting to buy this one but 1KG more weight compare to the other big alu size
Old May 2, 2022, 7:26 pm

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by thekeko
any feed back recently from this trunk i am waiting to buy this one but 1KG more weight compare to the other big alu size
I have a similar trunk, which is also slightly oversized, and the main challenge is keeping it under the 50 pound weight requirement. The trunk shape keeps it from looking oversized. So far no one has thought to even try to measure it.

Personally, I try to keep my empty luggage weight to 25% or less of my per piece weight allowance.
Old May 3, 2022, 12:37 am

Programs: flying blue
I got 2 Tumi aluminium big size.waiting for airframe to allow me to buy another one
I found in france where you can buy it 27% off for the trunk
it's looks cool but it's really heavy 1kg difference
I think it will be really easy to fill up the 23kg allows

Originally Posted by TPACjv
I have a similar trunk, which is also slightly oversized, and the main challenge is keeping it under the 50 pound weight requirement. The trunk shape keeps it from looking oversized. So far no one has thought to even try to measure it.

Personally, I try to keep my empty luggage weight to 25% or less of my per piece weight allowance.
Old May 26, 2022, 1:28 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by hikouki
However, on reading the dimensions, the total is about 64 inches! Most airlines have a max dimension of 62 inches! What a bummer!
I find it really baffling how many companies make luggage that measures ~63-65 linear inches — many of them even posting the size in linear inches on the product description. And in many cases, the next size down is significantly smaller.

62" has been the maximum for decades, so it's not like there's a new regulation for them to adapt to.
Old May 26, 2022, 1:56 pm

Looking at the Tumi web site -- can it really be true that they don't have a single two-wheeled carry-on? The only two-wheeled bags they have are a snowboard bag and a huge duffel bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.