Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Samsonite black label luggage broken on first time use. Can I claim warranty?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2020, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Hi, I have a new Samsonite luggage that costs 670 USD, which cracked after a flight with Turkish Airlines. I wasn't able to notice the damage until I arrived at my apartment. I filed a claim with Turkish airlines but they said that I cannot claim compensation anymore because I reported it when I've already left the airport. I didn't have any travel insurance on my flight. Now, my last resort I believe is to claim my warranty with Samsonite. However, their website explicitly says they don't cover airline damage. Can anyone advise me on this? Should I make up a story on how the luggage was damaged other than because I took it to a flight?

The only reason I bought a luggage this expensive is its lifetime warranty. I don't expect it to be completely perfect during its lifetime but I think it's unbelievable how it was broken on its first use!!! Any advice please?
Old Sep 21, 2020, 9:49 am

I would still contact Samsonite, regardless of the warranty language. Explain to them politely that this was the first use of their product and you would appreciate their assistance with a repair or replacement. Understand that you are asking them to go outside of their normal warranty policy and keep that in mind when you are talking to them.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 9:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JMorgana
I would still contact Samsonite, regardless of the warranty language. Explain to them politely that this was the first use of their product and you would appreciate their assistance with a repair or replacement. Understand that you are asking them to go outside of their normal warranty policy and keep that in mind when you are talking to them.
I agree with this. Also try TK again, maybe you'll get a different response, but this demonstrates why it is so important to check your luggage before you leave the airport.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 9:55 am

Remember...the absolute worst people can say is no. If you get a NO from both TK and Samsonite, you're no worse off than you are right now. If Samsonite says no, you know who to never again use for a luggage purchase.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 10:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JMorgana
Remember...the absolute worst people can say is no. If you get a NO from both TK and Samsonite, you're no worse off than you are right now. If Samsonite says no, you know who to never again use for a luggage purchase.
Well, if they explicitly exclude airline damage, you can't blame them for sticking to their own stated policy!
Often1 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Well, if they explicitly exclude airline damage, you can't blame them for sticking to their own stated policy!
Agreed, but frequently a combination of (a) getting the right person on the other end and (b) being polite no matter what the response is and making them want to help you works. That's why I said be aware of the fact that you are asking for an exception and be nice.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by marie.krizel
I filed a claim with Turkish airlines but they said that I cannot claim compensation anymore because I reported it when I've already left the airport.
Remind TK about Montreal and see. I express no comment on the portion related to Samsonite.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
To answer your question, "should I make up a reason?" No, that is fraud. Why on earth, having created a paper trail with TK that the damage was caused by an air carrier, would you then make a contrary statement to another merchant.

I don't think that the Montreal Convention yields much here. The question is whether TK is responsible for the damage and it is not an unreasonable delineator to maintain that damage to the exterior of a suitcase can reasonably be noticed prior to departing the airport.

What is the repair estimate here? Are you arguing about $30 or $300?
Old Sep 21, 2020, 7:08 pm

Review the benefits of the credit card you purchased the luggage with, assuming you in fact used a credit card. A number of cards provide coverage for damage etc. within the first 12 months.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

My luggage had a luggage cover that's what I wasn't able to notice it before leaving the airport.

I don't think it can still be repaired. The shell is cracked.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 5:27 am
Suspended

Regular household insurance?
Old Sep 22, 2020, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I'm not sure that the airline can limit liability so that damage must be reported at the airport. They can try and say so, but that doesn't make it so.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by marie.krizel
I filed a claim with Turkish airlines but they said that I cannot claim compensation anymore because I reported it when I've already left the airport.
Even TK's own CoC suggests only a 7-day limit on reporting damaged checked luggage. I would press TK on this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.