Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RIMOWA Luggage Brand Protection

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2020, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I don't think that W is the same bling-bling brand as the Moncler version is.

(would you be happy to check or gate check that bag? )
Old Sep 18, 2020, 3:20 am

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
I don't think that W is the same bling-bling brand as the Moncler version is.

(would you be happy to check or gate check that bag? )
Personally, I would not be caught dead with it.
WilcoRoger likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave510
Personally, I would not be caught dead with it.
I am really liking it myself and would like to see one in person...! Will look awesome with a blinged out rolex..
Old Sep 19, 2020, 12:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum Elite, Delta Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by bulbmogul
I am really liking it myself and would like to see one in person...! Will look awesome with a blinged out rolex..
Is that really the image you want to portray? I guess to each their own, money cannot buy taste.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chris2013
Is that really the image you want to portray? I guess to each their own, money cannot buy taste.

Oh I sure have to agree with you 110% and thats what the IWC Salesmen told me in Dubai also..
Old Sep 19, 2020, 3:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum Elite, Delta Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by bulbmogul

Oh I sure have to agree with you 110% and thats what the IWC Salesmen told me in Dubai also..
A fool and his money are soon parted.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 10:49 am

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by fishy21
the one on the right is a classic, no?
Sort of. It's from the "classic flight" line pre-lvmh.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 5:10 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by londonelite
more photos of conspicuous consumption please!
PLAM.

Please Look At Me!
Old Oct 8, 2020, 1:11 am

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Mixed bag

I see the LVMH as a mixed bag. I own several rimowa pieces, and always check luggage, and travel extensively. Typically monthly trips.

Positives
- Prior to LVMH if you were traveling outside of Germany, Japan, China, Hong Kong, Brazil certain parts of the US, and your bag needed a good banging or replacement part you were out of luck ( Brazil - the minority owner of Rimowa family has a lover affair with Brazil so the store in shopping leblon came in handy when I needed new wheels) . What LVMH did was bought Rimowa to a lot of places, so it was easy to get service. I remember in 2015, I was in Luxembourg and the nearest repair place was in Belgium. I've also travelled in Australia with a broken bag half way through a RTW flight. My bag could not be fixed until I got to Singapore which was my next stop.
- To the person that bought bags at the Dubai Mall, until probably 3 years ago Rimowa did not have a dedicated store in the UAE. They did have a reseller agent ( Jashamel? ) and rather useless repair department located in a seedy part of Dubai that I was told is the "car repair" workshop area. The techs at Jashamel did absolutely nothing, I flew back with it to Germany and had this fixed there. The Dubai reseller agent tech with Jashemel said my case was totaled, but the tech in Cologne repaired it and i still use this bag btw.
- LVMH brought repairs to a lot more places, so its easy to repair. That is huge bonus if you travel all over the place

Negatives
- I know people didn't like the E-tag, but I did. ( I flew LH Group a lot) . I like the LH had dedicated check in places in FRA for it. I am grateful that LVMH still supports it.
- Bag holder loss
- increase in prices. I would say 200-500 euros across the board
- Policing warranties ( in the past the boutiques would go by serial numbers, now they want you to register your Rimowa and if not they will not do repairs)
- Repairs used to be free for the most part ( now there is a charge usually)
- The silly campaigns with the shirtless pre pubescent boys shirtless. I mean really - what does that have to do with a bag?
- The aluminum cases are no longer made in Cologne, so I was told

Mixed bag

I will add, if Alesandre ( the current CEO of RIMOWA) wants add "luxury" by his father's definition, chairman of LVMH ( i.e making it more scarce and well known like the "Dior" story his dad likes to use ) he has largely succeeded. What he absolutely cannot do is lower quality and service, otherwise brand loyalists ( and advocates) like mewill be turned off. The ability to repair a bag with no fuss at any RIMOWA store / repair center should be sacred. Raise the price and add a translucent bag my Moncler all you want, but if the Aluminum cases aren't made to the same standards as they were before, and I can't get the bag repaired if needed in the middle of RTW trip, the brand is over.

Shirtless models that look like they haven't eaten in a week can't save the brand.

Last edited by OpenSky; Oct 12, 2020 at 2:47 pm
Old Oct 15, 2020, 11:52 am

Seems like they just released a black version of the Classic: https://www.rimowa.com/classic/ - Looks pretty nice, I think.
bulbmogul likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slowtrotter
Seems like they just released a black version of the Classic: https://www.rimowa.com/classic/ - Looks pretty nice, I think.
Looks really nice for sure....
Old Oct 15, 2020, 5:39 pm

Programs: M/M
I checked out the Classic in black at my local RIMOWA dealer.

Nice finish and hardware.

Primary difference I noticed was the transition of shifting production back from the Czech Republic back to Germany for the Classic line.

Previously, I always found it a turn-off to see the Classic with the "Made in Czech Republic" label on the previous generation of Classic/Classic flight trollies.
bulbmogul likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hornillas1
I checked out the Classic in black at my local RIMOWA dealer.

Nice finish and hardware.

Primary difference I noticed was the transition of shifting production back from the Czech Republic back to Germany for the Classic line.

Previously, I always found it a turn-off to see the Classic with the "Made in Czech Republic" label on the previous generation of Classic/Classic flight trollies.
RIMOWA is sure coming out with some new neat things to mix it up a bit. Honestly if Ever buy another piece of luggage, counseling will be required however I keep going and looking every time I am anywhere near a Flagship Store..Ughhhhhh
Old Nov 5, 2020, 2:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
I just purchased an Original Cabin S today. I had originally planned to purchase one in NYC, but the quarantine regulations steered me away. Then I planned on going to Sao Paulo to purchase it, and then decided on Los Angeles. However, after I purchased tickets, I was told the Beverly Hills Rimowa store was shutting down this week due to the election. So, then I contacted the Las Vegas store area manager and he ended up putting me in contact with the area manager in Los Angeles and found a Cabin S at the Beverly Hills store before they boarded up and hand delivered it to my hotel room at LAX. How sweet was that? Save me time and money, which I provided some compensation for my appreciation. Excellent customer service. Job well done. I'm a happy camper.

On edit: This unit was made in Canada

Landing Gear and sea_jeff like this.

Last edited by Global Adventurer; Nov 5, 2020 at 3:00 pm
Old Nov 6, 2020, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
I just purchased an Original Cabin S today. I had originally planned to purchase one in NYC, but the quarantine regulations steered me away. Then I planned on going to Sao Paulo to purchase it, and then decided on Los Angeles. However, after I purchased tickets, I was told the Beverly Hills Rimowa store was shutting down this week due to the election. So, then I contacted the Las Vegas store area manager and he ended up putting me in contact with the area manager in Los Angeles and found a Cabin S at the Beverly Hills store before they boarded up and hand delivered it to my hotel room at LAX. How sweet was that? Save me time and money, which I provided some compensation for my appreciation. Excellent customer service. Job well done. I'm a happy camper.

On edit: This unit was made in Canada

Congrats on your new carryon.. Great looking and who cares if its made in Canada or Germany..? Not me and enjoy..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.