Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RIMOWA Luggage Brand Protection

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2020, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Moderator2
As a data point, I bought a 28" hardside Tumi case from Walmart's website about five years ago. Paid $179 for a $525 retail piece. The sale was posted here on Flyertalk.

WOW How lucky that was to have pulled that off. ! Some of you guys sure know how to search and figure out the ends and outs of finding deals..
Old Sep 10, 2020, 11:46 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
Originally Posted by Chris2013
Agreed. I thoroughly enjoy products that have a reputation of durability and longevity however once the general population starts to purchase huge quantities of these, the manufacturers tend to get bought out by a larger mega-corp, the quality declines, and the prices increase. It's happened to so many great brands and it's quite frustrating.
Going back to the original topic, do you know that the new LVMH Rimowa products are worse than before? Did they change the manufacturing process, or Introduce new products that are inferior?

not a Rimowa fanboy.... just curious why you feel Rimowa is more inferior since their product line is nearly exactly the same before being bought by LVMH. They just changed the name of the products, and introduced new colors.

They did increase their prices (by quite a bit), but a lot of products increased in price.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by bulbmogul
You can be wearing a $5000.00 SS Hulk Rolex and world wide known but can be sporting a $250,000.00 Breguet Tourbillion and 99% of the people have no idea...
The latter is called style.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fishy21
Going back to the original topic, do you know that the new LVMH Rimowa products are worse than before? Did they change the manufacturing process, or Introduce new products that are inferior?
For a start:

The centre latch is gone, so now there're only the two TSA locks on every model. Worse
The luggage strap, aka add-a-bag is gone, only the logo plate is in its place. Worse
Two wheels good, four wheels bad. All models are four wheels now. Worse
Some new models look like a knock-off of themselves. Worse
No more airline co-branded bags, AFAIK, like LH or AY. Worse
Airline utility kits in F are gone. Worse (might be airlines' choice, my guess is it's Rimowa's)
Lots of product lines killed (e.g Pilot, Attaché, Beauty Case, Gourmet, Humidor, Business Trolley). Worse
Old Sep 11, 2020, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
For a start:

The centre latch is gone, so now there're only the two TSA locks on every model. Worse
The luggage strap, aka add-a-bag is gone, only the logo plate is in its place. Worse
Airline utility kits in F are gone. Worse (might be airlines' choice, my guess is it's Rimowa's)
Lots of product lines killed (e.g Pilot, Attaché, Beauty Case, Gourmet, Humidor, Business Trolley). Worse

Well none of that ever did or matters to me purchasing my Rimowa but we all have different reasons to or not to purchase something.. I myself think the Rimowa brand is much more interesting now then before and what I really like is how Rimowa is guarded and protected from all the online bargain basement dealers..
Old Sep 11, 2020, 7:46 am
Original Poster

not a Rimowa fanboy.... just curious why you feel Rimowa is more inferior since their product line is nearly exactly the same before being bought by LVMH. They just changed the name of the products, and introduced new colors.

They did increase their prices (by quite a bit), but a lot of products increased in price.
Gotta love my Breguet's for sure..
Old Sep 11, 2020, 11:00 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
For a start:

I see your points, but I can argue none of them changes the quality of the current products that they sell. Like Bulbmogul said, it has no affect as to whether someone decides if they want to buy a Rimowa case today.

Just my opinion... only LVMH knows if their decision is working or not.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 12:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum Elite, Delta Silver Medallion
For a start:

Rimowa is going the way of many other brands and emphasizing form over function. It's unfortunate but so the way is life I suppose. Price is not always indicative of quality anymore.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I see your points, but I can argue none of them changes the quality of the current products that they sell. Like Bulbmogul said, it has no affect as to whether someone decides if they want to buy a Rimowa case today.
Well, it's quite probable, that the new products are produced as per specs. The problem is with the specs.

I also disagree, on the effect on potential buyers - they go after a different demographics now. I am not in the position to make judgement whether those decisions are good for Rimowa's bottom line or not, just that they alienate people like myself.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what I really like is how Rimowa is guarded and protected from all the online bargain basement dealers..
Are you a shareholder?
Old Sep 13, 2020, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Are you a shareholder?
HAH Nope..I just happen to pay full retail for all of my Rimowa as most all others will now do to..! I have more pieces then the average Rimowa enthusiast.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

HAH Nope..I just happen to pay full retail for all of my Rimowa as most all others will now do to..!
And that's good for you because...?
Old Sep 14, 2020, 3:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
More photos of conspicuous consumption please!
GUWonder likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 2:38 am

Have you guys seen the new RIMOWA x Moncler suitcase? https://www.rimowa.com/luggage/colou.../92590053.html What do we think?
Old Sep 16, 2020, 4:15 am

Programs: M/M
Looks just like the "Off-White" collaboration.

Clear case. Overpriced (IMO).

But, very TSA-compliant! lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.