Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

What’s the unofficial luggage brand hierarchy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What’s the unofficial luggage brand hierarchy?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2020, 12:46 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Chris2013
Top of the Line:
Rimowa for hard sided
Tumi for soft sided
I actually like my Tumi Latitude better than my Salsa. My one gripe about Tumi vs Rimowa used to be the wheels but Tumi fixed that with the Latitude. Those that insist on polycarbonate will stick with Rimowa, though.

I also love Tumi backpacks/bags. The ergo / design / compartmentalization just fit well for me.

I'm also not so sure how i feel about Rimowa post-LVMH, what with the price increases and service cuts.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 12:15 pm

I've had, and still have Andiamo Valoroso... same with Tumi. Both classic, well built and designed brands, always welcomed into boardrooms.

For the last thirteen years, I've transitioned to Red Oxx and Tom Bihn carry on's. Very well designed, over built, lifetime warranties, never questioned when entering business meetings, constructed to last more years than you will ever imagine. Add a Tom Bihn Absolute Strap and you're in business.

The latter two... Very highly recommended.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 7:27 am

Programs: Alaska, Hilton, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Tumi will last you a lifetime of travel. But at the same time, it will be the first to be stolen.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 8:12 am

Another vote for Briggs & Riley - did a lot of HARD travel as a consultant for a few years and the bag held up and I still use it. It recently had a few issues, I dropped it off a local authorized repair shop and it was fixed in a week. Great warranty and great product.

Love my GoRuck backpack for carry-on
Old Aug 25, 2020, 9:46 am

Programs: SPG
I made my choice years back by a long layover at O'Hare and observing the FA's. I love my TravelPro which sometimes can be found off-price at Tuesday Morning. But then I am not the most frequent of travelers.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum Elite, Delta Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by alangore
Tumi will last you a lifetime of travel. But at the same time, it will be the first to be stolen.
That is the one reason I'm hesitant to buy a Tumi to use as a checked bag, I'm worried about someone swiping it before I can get to baggage claim.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum Elite, Delta Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by lalismom
I made my choice years back by a long layover at O'Hare and observing the FA's. I love my TravelPro which sometimes can be found off-price at Tuesday Morning. But then I am not the most frequent of travelers.
Bang for the buck I think Travelpro is the best value out there. Before I bought a Tumi, I had Travelpro for years and never had any issues besides normal wear and tear. I normally recommend this above everything else to friends and family who are starting jobs that require a decent amount of travel but don't want to spend $500+ on a bag.
HaleiwaFlyer likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 3:45 pm

Programs: QFF, VA, SQ
Tumi vote here. Just love my carry-on. Full sized case was damaged by port crew on a cruise out of SIN. Still waiting for insurance claim to come through.
The ladies cross over is my choice for holiday day bag, big enough to hold my larger camera and leave hands free.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 4:00 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I have a travel pro. It gets beat up a lot. EWR will chew up and spit out luggage. It actually looks like it was bit.

I would hate to pay big bucks for really nice bags and have them come out of the handling system looking like they were dragged behind a truck. I swear my bag had tire tread marks on it once.

One time I watched my bag get stuck in an automatic baggage handling conveyor at FRA. I watched as it flipped over and over and over until they had to stop the system and rescue it.

The best thing about my travelPro was I was able to repair it. I could unzip the liner and fix the mechanism with a screw driver I borrowed From the hotel maintenance man instead of going the rest of the trip with a handle that wouldn’t telescope.

With my luck, I’d buy something for looks and then have to travel through Newark or Logan again.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 1:26 pm

Briggs & Reilly makes truly great bags but as previously noted for some reason they list fake dimensions In their specification documentation. I suspect it’s a marketing strategy.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bindibuys
Tumi vote here. Just love my carry-on. Full sized case was damaged by port crew on a cruise out of SIN. Still waiting for insurance claim to come through.
The ladies cross over is my choice for holiday day bag, big enough to hold my larger camera and leave hands free.
What Tumi do you have? You're waiting for their insurance to come through or you have insurance through your credit card on the luggage damage?
Old Aug 26, 2020, 7:52 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Bang for the buck I think Travelpro is the best value out there.
100% agree. My current travel pro (Maxlite 3) has over 1000 flights on it. I actually got a Maxlite 5 (I think), but realized the interior was smaller, so I returned it. My 3 still works great. Has a lot of wear, but no tears, and it still pulls just fine.

For hardsided stuff (mostly work samples), I roll with a few variants of Pelican cases. Those things take a lot of abuse. I much prefer those over the metal types that are all scratched up and dented after only a few flights.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 5:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
That is the one reason I'm hesitant to buy a Tumi to use as a checked bag, I'm worried about someone swiping it before I can get to baggage claim.
I don't own a Tumi (yet), but when I know I'll have to check a nice carry-on bag due to International restrictions on weight, I stash them in a cheap packable polyester duffel bag like the big ones Amazon makes. Protects your luggage and nobody wants an Amazon Basics duffel bag. Lol
N965VJ likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
I don't own a Tumi (yet), but when I know I'll have to check a nice carry-on bag due to International restrictions on weight, I stash them in a cheap packable polyester duffel bag like the big ones Amazon makes. Protects your luggage and nobody wants an Amazon Basics duffel bag. Lol
Never thought of that!
Old Aug 31, 2020, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
Hey, good idea! Might be a good idea for gate checking in general.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.