Wiki Posts
Search

About the Rimowa carry-on size

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2020, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Question About the Rimowa carry-on size

Hi Travellers!

I have been using tumi carry-on for a long time, but it broke last year when I visited Egypt.
Now I am thinking about getting a new one (possibly Rimowa) because I need to start traveling again.

Quick question...
I am considering buying a Rimowa Original Cabin Carry-on Aluminum (22in x 16 in x 9 in), but the United, American, Delta airlines baggage size limits are 22in x 14in x 9in, are they strict about the width going over 2 inches?
I see them sometimes during U.S. domestic flights and never saw them get stopped, but I want to make sure before I buy one.

Thank you and I hope you all have a wonderful day.
elau1999 likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 9:05 am

Programs: Virtuoso TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Platinum
US carriers rarely check carry on size. You will be okay with a luggage size that exceeds regulation by 2in.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 9:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ChateauMargaux
US carriers rarely check carry on size. You will be okay with a luggage size that exceeds regulation by 2in.
+1
Old Aug 1, 2020, 11:56 am

Greetings, Suzuki
If I may offer some of my advice, regarding criteria for choosing a Aluminium suitcase; I have bought the Cabin Twist in Brown recently for a major discount of which I will tip you off below at the end of this piece; which I wrote to help out some friends on Styleforum. I recommend flying a different airline to United, American and Delta, I have never been to America or used any of those airlines so I may not be of much help here; I personally fly ANA. Highly recommend Proteca luggage as they do have models that are under the size you have specified, I will go into reasons below. The first criteria should be construction and frame material. Those that may think there is only one type of material, aluminium, as structure is wrong. Your options are 100% aluminium, or a variety of alloys, from Al/Mg to Al/Ti, with ductility, strength, weight and thickness all factoring in to an educated choice.

The advantage of alloys with the two examples stated above, are usually higher ductility, higher strength, and lighter weight. 100% aluminium dents easily and quickly, with thickness required to compensate, compromising the weight category. Rimowa utilizes a Al/Mg alloy with a strong weight and strength advantage, while Ito (japan-ito.com/) utilizes a Al/Ti alloy, with the same advantages as before but slightly heavier and marginally less ductile.

All the other brands I am aware of including Away and Arlo Skye use 100% aluminium as a cost-saving measure, at the expense of their product's craftsmanship. As a Westerner, I am sure you are familiar with Rimowa, but probably not so familiar with Ito, which is fairly popular in the domestic market and can be spotted rather easily at Haneda, Narita or any Shinkansen stations with a sharp eye.

Your second consideration should be special technology used. So far, there is no aluminium luggage on the domestic or international market with a wheel stopper; of similar or identical type to that patented by Proteca (its Hokkaido factory is an excellent polycarbonate manufacturer of luggage and I recommend more than Rimowa for polycarbonate due to higher rigidity and more advanced technology, as well as the superior warranty).

Luggage handles are another consideration, they should utilize a multi-position handle, as opposed to the easily counterfeited, structurally weak two-position handles. Wheels should use ball bearings as a matter of durability, smoothness, and noise. This wheel technology is severely lacking in other brands. Locks should not be flimsy, as shown on the Rimowa Classic and other polycarbonate models with zipper locks. The Rimowa Original does sturdy locks very well. Keys, TSA, Numerical Locks, or Hybrid Locks are a matter of taste.

Where the luggage is made is important as well. Often outsourcing occurs to cut costs, or meet high demand, rather than to improve the product. Quality control is a major issue. Rimowa outsources most of its lines, except for the flagship model Original that is the Made in Germany version not sold in Canada or the United States. Ito makes its aluminium alloy luggage in Japan entirely and no outsourcing is used, Proteca also.

If you would like a Rimowa now; there is a sale going on. Since we are in economic recession, the luggage industry has taken a hit and much surplus stock has been passed off to unofficial parallel-import channels to sell at a loss. I have confirmed that pk-luggage sells authentic Rimowa luggage, the serial can be registered on the original Rimowa site. I recommend you stick to the Original line as a matter of quality and value-for-money. You will hear from Candy or Kay by the support email on the site. I purchased a Original Cabin Twist with Brown Leather Accents, Made in Germany, from pk-luggage. At 60% off or more, you may not get another opportunity like this to purchase Rimowa at 2016 prices. The LVMH prices are insane and I would never pay that much for Rimowa.

If you would like an Ito luggage; who provides aluminium/titanium alloy luggage as well as polycarbonate luggage, all made in Japan, you will have to go to Japan to an official store to purchase. It is not available for online sales anywhere. If you are more adventurous, I recommend you go to a shop and purchase from Ito, there is a sale currently.

If you would like a Proteca polycarbonate luggage, there is a big sale going on now as well: I recommend the Peanuts Cocoon model in Beige (store.ace.jp/shop/g/g01953-05/), or the Staria (store.ace.jp/shop/g/g02954-05/). Both ones I have recommended are very beautiful, with the latest wheel stopper technology and multi-stage handles, as well as ball-bearing wheels, more silent than Rimowa. Bear in mind when choosing, not all Proteca luggage models have all the new technology, so be sure to confirm first. Highly recommended.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by ChateauMargaux
+2 here..I have many and I mean many 45L Rimowa Carry ons and only one time was I ever gate checked and that was on a puddle jumper from Chicago-Detroit on a long haul return flight from Sri Lanka early this June....
Old Aug 16, 2020, 10:13 am

Programs: M/M
Many factors come into play.

As long as you acknowledge, and are aware, that the Cabin and Cabin Plus technically exceed domestic carrier restrictions, there is always a chance of gate check.

Otherwise, it is just a spin of the wheel on what gate agent you get for your flight.

Most of my flights have not had an issue, but the times that I am stopped by the gate agent, I don't argue, as I knew the Cabin exceeded the dimensions state by the carrier.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by hornillas1
Many factors come into play.

As long as you acknowledge, and are aware, that the Cabin and Cabin Plus technically exceed domestic carrier restrictions, there is always a chance of gate check.

Otherwise, it is just a spin of the wheel on what gate agent you get for your flight.

Most of my flights have not had an issue, but the times that I am stopped by the gate agent, I don't argue, as I knew the Cabin exceeded the dimensions state by the carrier.
Its just the chance you take when knowing its oversized and you try it anyways like I do... Lucked out so far but anyones gamble when trying...
Old Aug 17, 2020, 3:54 am

Programs: M/M
I think you're RIMOWA trollies are lucky.

You should send me some of your collection, my way, maybe i'll have better luck

I picked up a RIMOWA Topas Pilot 39L, definitely over the cabin restrictions, but i'm going to try anyways
Old Aug 18, 2020, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by hornillas1
I think you're RIMOWA trollies are lucky.

You should send me some of your collection, my way, maybe i'll have better luck

I picked up a RIMOWA Topas Pilot 39L, definitely over the cabin restrictions, but i'm going to try anyways
I am looking forward to adding me one of those carryons with the new optional colored trim you can choose from. Surely we would be jinxed if I was to send you one of my oversized 45L's... I really have no idea why I have all these carryons..Oh well...Last one was Red Aluminum from Dubai in January..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.