Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Are the days of carry-on luggage dead?

Old Apr 15, 20, 12:26 pm
Administrator
Original Poster

Emirates has begun rapid blood testing of passengers prior to flights, due to Coronavirus. They've also nixxed all carry-on luggage (a personal item is still permitted).

With more and more talk of restrictions lasting years (2022? 2024? Forever?), is carrying your luggage onto the airplane dead?

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...rusliveupdates
Old Apr 15, 20, 6:56 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, WN, Marriott, Choice Diamond, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Gold
If you can still take a personal item, not really. Plenty of those items still touch underneath seats (I'm assuming carryons touching each other in the overheads so as to spread contagions is the concern here) so I don't see any way that the airlines restrict carryon items other than to perhaps downsize them a bit (which could have happened without the pandemic) so as to drive more luggage fees.
Old Apr 15, 20, 7:00 pm
Administrator
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lwildernorva View Post
If you can still take a personal item, not really. Plenty of those items still touch underneath seats (I'm assuming carryons touching each other in the overheads so as to spread contagions is the concern here) so I don't see any way that the airlines restrict carryon items other than to perhaps downsize them a bit (which could have happened without the pandemic) so as to drive more luggage fees.
I assume this would take the form of permanently locking the overhead bins.
Old Apr 15, 20, 7:15 pm

I doubt hand luggage will be gone forever - there is demand for hand luggage (checked in luggage is not a replacement because it cannot contain valuable items). Airlines which do not permit it will be at disadvantage.

There used to be hand luggage bans in the past due to terrorism - they all got rescinded pretty quickly. I guess it will be similar with the coronavirus - at worst, passengers will be required to wrap their carryon item in plastic at the airport.
BearX220, jgor, Spiff and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 16, 20, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
We had a short period in the US about 10 or 12 years ago where all liquids and gels were banned from cabin baggage -- no shaving cream, no toothpaste, no nothing, no matter how small. On business trips we had to run out and buy toiletries. That was a wild overreaction to some long-forgotten "threat" that was soon rolled back, and we must be careful not to take today's bizarre / fearful environment as a new normal, too.
kimberlyrose, ExecPlat81 and Spiff like this.
Old Apr 16, 20, 10:28 am

Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
How would this work (or what is the purpose) for seats with no seat storage?

What's the difference between putting your bag on the floor where everyone else has put a bag, and putting it in the bin? The bin actually has surfaces that are easier to disinfect.

Shouldn't people be far more worried about all the surfaces that people are actually touching, all the time, while onboard? I remember when CI proposed not having ground staff clean tray tables on outstation turnarounds, the CI FAs threatened to go on strike.
Old Apr 16, 20, 11:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
So the bags that touch each other in the hold are sterile, but bags in the overhead aren't? Is that the reasoning here?
Old Apr 16, 20, 12:30 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
I actively avoid airlines with super strict carry on requirements that even my laptop backpack exceeds. I'd avoid airlines that did not allow carry on baggage completely, until they demonstrate that they can consistently transport my luggage quickly, cheaply, and without loss/damage/theft.
Spiff likes this.
Old Apr 16, 20, 7:20 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, WN, Marriott, Choice Diamond, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by IBobi View Post
I assume this would take the form of permanently locking the overhead bins.
Are you aware of any airlines that in normal times (not the present crisis) waste any extra space on a plane? Could the airlines order new planes in the future without overhead bins? Sure. And might that speed boarding? Yes. Do I see that happening? No.
Old Apr 17, 20, 1:57 pm
Administrator
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lwildernorva View Post
Are you aware of any airlines that in normal times (not the present crisis) waste any extra space on a plane? Could the airlines order new planes in the future without overhead bins? Sure. And might that speed boarding? Yes. Do I see that happening? No.
If they start flying planes again, but people don't buy tickets, they will do whatever they can to make people feel safe. That includes eliminating any extra sources of contagion, like luggage in the same cabin as flyers. Just my opinion. I think we are in a very different -- permanent -- spot now. This is entirely different from post-9/11.
Old Apr 17, 20, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by IBobi View Post
If they start flying planes again, but people don't buy tickets, they will do whatever they can to make people feel safe. That includes eliminating any extra sources of contagion, like luggage in the same cabin as flyers. Just my opinion. I think we are in a very different -- permanent -- spot now. This is entirely different from post-9/11.
Oh no doubt. But airlines know they ticked people off before this with baggage fees--which took off well after 9/11. There isn't a whole lot of goodwill in that area left. And when this is all over, the airlines are going to need to build their goodwill up with passengers. If you're saying that the airlines could block carryon while eliminating checked baggage fees, I'm with you, but that's an unlikely scenario as well.
Old Apr 17, 20, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220 View Post
We had a short period in the US about 10 or 12 years ago where all liquids and gels were banned from cabin baggage -- no shaving cream, no toothpaste, no nothing, no matter how small. On business trips we had to run out and buy toiletries.
Wouldn't it take less time to check the bag and claim it on arrival?
Old Apr 17, 20, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by davie355 View Post
Wouldn't it take less time to check the bag and claim it on arrival?
Not a chance.
Spiff likes this.
Old Apr 18, 20, 2:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Total Wine & More Reserve
I have no interest in spending any number of minutes checking bags/waiting at baggage claim, so I would certainly avoid those carriers that prohibit carry-on bags. I'd suspect there are not an insignificant number of flyers who also value their time that would do the same.
Spiff likes this.
Old Apr 19, 20, 12:20 pm

Programs: AY+
Originally Posted by BearX220 View Post
We had a short period in the US about 10 or 12 years ago where all liquids and gels were banned from cabin baggage -- no shaving cream, no toothpaste, no nothing, no matter how small. On business trips we had to run out and buy toiletries. That was a wild overreaction to some long-forgotten "threat" that was soon rolled back, and we must be careful not to take today's bizarre / fearful environment as a new normal, too.
I remember this happy time, straight to meeting and dinner from airport and in the following morning trying to find shaving gel and deodorant next to hotel.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: