Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

"luggage" for international move

Old Feb 16, 20, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

I am planning on moving my family of 6 to Romania in a few months. Of course I'm going to use 180000 United miles for award tickets. Since I have United silver status each passenger should be allowed to check 3 bags each with a max weight of 70 lbs and dimensions width + height + width < 62 in total.

If I understand these rules correctly I should be able to bring 18 large boxes filled with all the stuff we want to move with us for free. We'll be flying BOI to TSR both of which are small airports so navigating them with so much luggage will be difficult but not impossible.
I'm looking for suggestions on what to pack everything into. Ideally it would be a plastic tote like this one but slightly smaller and with inner dimensions nearly equal to outer dimensions. Also wheels would be nice but not required. I've looked and haven't found anything that would be the correct size. It maybe best to get some cardboard boxes but I was hoping to find something more durable.

Do you know of any boxes or totes that would be well suited for checked luggage?
My wife thinks I'm crazy to try to fit everything in 18 boxes but I think we'll save so much money vs a shipping container. Has anyone else tried such a move without shipping anything?
Old Feb 16, 20, 1:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Check the Container Store and Amazon. There are multiple options in pretty much all sizes and durability. Also, purchase a scale and packing tape (do not rely on the plastic top seal). Finally, when you receive the containers, double check that the dimensions are as advertised. Air carriers will measure the container at its maximum dimensions, including the overhang of the cover.
Old Feb 16, 20, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Not knowing what part of the earth you are at:

The best is called Balikbayan boxes. They are used by Filipinos returning home to bring all the mandatory gifts. They are double-walled corrugated cardboard boxes that are at the maximum airline dimensions. They measure 20X20X20 or 18X18X24. You can get them at Asian malls in FIlipino neighbourhoods.
lipoff and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 17, 20, 2:26 am

Are you sure it is THREE bags per pax?
Old Feb 17, 20, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Originally Posted by superdav42 View Post
I am planning on moving my family of 6 to Romania in a few months. Of course I'm going to use 180000 United miles for award tickets. Since I have United silver status each passenger should be allowed to check 3 bags each with a max weight of 70 lbs and dimensions width + height + width < 62 in total.

If I understand these rules correctly I should be able to bring 18 large boxes filled with all the stuff we want to move with us for free. We'll be flying BOI to TSR both of which are small airports so navigating them with so much luggage will be difficult but not impossible.
I'm looking for suggestions on what to pack everything into. Ideally it would be a plastic tote like this one but slightly smaller and with inner dimensions nearly equal to outer dimensions. Also wheels would be nice but not required. I've looked and haven't found anything that would be the correct size. It maybe best to get some cardboard boxes but I was hoping to find something more durable.

Do you know of any boxes or totes that would be well suited for checked luggage?
My wife thinks I'm crazy to try to fit everything in 18 boxes but I think we'll save so much money vs a shipping container. Has anyone else tried such a move without shipping anything?
For Silver it's 3 x 70 lbs only in premium cabins. If you are flying economy it's 1 x 70 lbs. Are you suggesting showing up at the airport with 18 cardboard moving boxes? I don't think that's going to work out for you for a number of reasons. I would use a freight forwarder for most things, and take clothes and other things you need immediately as checked luggage in suitcases or other things designed to be thrown around airports.
Old Feb 17, 20, 9:13 am

Programs: Delta Gold (2020)
In the early-mid 90s when my dad was in Kyrgyzstan for Peace Corps, he moved a ton of stuff in Rubbermaid Action Packers. I still have a couple left over from that time. They come in a couple different sizes and you can pick them up at major box stores or online.

No clue what would be allowed as a checked bag today - we have checked smaller cardboard boxes and coolers without problem. Except they are ALWAYS opened by TSA, so we try to pack/age accordingly.
Old Feb 17, 20, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And keep in mind that you are limited by the Montreal Convention on valuables inside your checked luggage. The last time our family of six moved we had two very large moving truck, each longer than a shipping container. I can't imagine how anyone moves with only checked luggage.
Old Feb 21, 20, 1:25 am

You might want to add some box straps to keep things shut
Amazon Amazon

Originally Posted by tentseller View Post
The best is called Balikbayan boxes. They are used by Filipinos returning home to bring all the mandatory gifts.
Balikbayan boxes - really interesting to learn about this today https://qz.com/824604/balikbayan-gig...es-every-year/ That's some packing job.

I've seen coolers on the Island Hopper, huge plastic chests https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-45...6133/303099671 to Tahiti, and the occasional red-white-blue bag https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-white-blue_bag.

People can do international moves with just flight luggage allowances but I'd also point out that if your wife thinks it is crazy for what is probably already a stressful situation, marital disharmony might end up being more expensive than the movers.
Old Feb 21, 20, 1:59 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Originally Posted by superdav42 View Post

Flying economy as Silver? Your baggage allowance is 2 bags per person.
Old Feb 24, 20, 5:00 am

Programs: UA 1K(until 2021), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
When I bought my holiday home in the US, for about a year I was visiting once a month and several times my wife and I used our full 2x3 bags at 70lbs each to move huge amounts of stuff to help furnish it. I can't find it now, but what was very useful was a rather more cube shaped bag than the more normal cuboid ones. It didn't have wheels but that's not an issue as you will be using baggage trolleys and there's no way you can manage that much stuff on public transport. If you are only travelling once, then it makes sense to buy really cheap bags from one of those street stalls that seems to sell them piled up high - you'll only need them to last for one trip.
Old Feb 24, 20, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder whether we'll ever hear from the OP again? Would be interested to know what the plan was/is?
Old Feb 27, 20, 4:49 am

We moved to Europe last year and ended up buying a bunch of rolling lightweight used luggage that fit their dimensions. We didn't put our clothing in them since they were used, but we used them for pictures, coins, documents, etc. Just be prepared for a good portion of them to be rummaged through by the TSA. I'd say @ 1/4 of our bags had a note inside so I'd keep anything really important in your carry-on.
Old Feb 29, 20, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Hey everyone thanks for all the tips. Especially pointing out the baggage allowance will only be 2 bags per passenger. I used the United baggage calculator several months ago and thought for sure it said 3 bags per passenger but maybe I was looking at a business class ticket or they changed the policy. We will be flying economy so only 12 bags for us which should still be a lot.

I'm looking at getting several of these plastic totes at 18.75'' H x 17.75'' W x 23.63'' they are 60.13 linear inches and should do perfect and don't cost too much. I'll probably order a couple and see how the hold up before getting all of them. We'll still use a couple traditional large suitcases.

Nothing we'll be taking is particularly valuable so I think we'll be fine.
​Anything that doesn't fit we'll send with extended family when they visit.
Old Mar 3, 20, 7:12 pm

I did this for a simple cross-country move with a very sturdy plastic bin with locking handles - found it at a local store so I'm not sure of the model, but this is definitely a viable option. Some things to keep in mind:
Absolutely make sure you tape the crap out of it; don't rely on the lid.
You'll probably be dragging it around - if only between the check in desk/baggage claim and a car, so keep that in mind. Carrying a large 70 pound for any distance is as awkward as it is heavy. I actually took mine on Amtrak for part of the trip and ended up using rope to tie it to a large rolling bag and pull it behind me - I looked like an idiot but it worked remarkably well. Or maybe you could look into attaching furniture glider pads to make them easier to move around.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: