Reload this Page >

Travel insurance recommendation

Old Jan 30, 20, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P

I hold a Citi AA exec card. Last year they ripped all the travel protection benefits. Although I still keep the card (AC membership) Iím looking for travel insurance that offers what I had before if not better.

Any recommendations?
Old Jan 30, 20, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
I hold a Citi AA exec card. Last year they ripped all the travel protection benefits. Although I still keep the card (AC membership) I’m looking for travel insurance that offers what I had before if not better.

Any recommendations?
What cover did you have before? [details?]
Many threads on travel insurance. Travel insurance means many different things to different people
"Travel insurance" is a very broad term and covers many things (or not). (from post in thread below)

Old Jan 30, 20, 8:49 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Moving to the Travel Products forum, where travel insurance is discussed. /JY1024, TravelBuzz moderator
Old Jan 30, 20, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Travel delay and cancellation coverage.
Old Jan 31, 20, 4:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Plt, 4mm, *A Silver, Free Agent
Chase Sapphire Reserve Still has theirs. I have only once made a claim, not on this card, so I cannot say how easy/hard it was but there is extensive conversation about this in the credit card forum. https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/sapphirereserve/travel.
Old Jan 31, 20, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I read the top link and it now appears medical expenses, Evac etc should be my first priority.

can anyone recommend a website for these policies or a company?
Old Jan 31, 20, 9:01 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Enviroian - I use geo blue travel insurance whenever I'm out of the country (I'm a US citizen). They have some different plans, so you can buy a one-trip plan, or you could buy a yearly plan that covers up to X days across as many trips as you take. The policies are relatively inexpensive, especially if you consider the costs of evac-ing from a remote location. I've never had to use the coverage (knock on wood) so I don't know what that process is like.

http://www.geobluetravelinsurance.co...t_overview.cfm

Note - I have no financial interest in this product.

Enjoy the trip!
enviroian and Often1 like this.
Old Jan 31, 20, 11:38 am

I use squaremouth.com. I find it very easy to compare policies and prices.
enviroian likes this.
Old Jan 31, 20, 3:05 pm

I use tripinsurnacestore.com, and have been very satisfied with their service.
enviroian likes this.
Old Feb 3, 20, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by DCAFly View Post
Enviroian - I use geo blue travel insurance whenever I'm out of the country (I'm a US citizen). They have some different plans, so you can buy a one-trip plan, or you could buy a yearly plan that covers up to X days across as many trips as you take. The policies are relatively inexpensive, especially if you consider the costs of evac-ing from a remote location. I've never had to use the coverage (knock on wood) so I don't know what that process is like.

http://www.geobluetravelinsurance.co...t_overview.cfm

Note - I have no financial interest in this product.

Enjoy the trip!
Another vote for GeoBlue. I usually max out the deductible and the limits (e.g., $1Mil of coverage and $500 deductible). I have actually needed to use it once in Japan and found the whole process very easy. Tip: You will get a faster response with a phone call rather than using the app if you actually need to see a doctor.
Old Feb 4, 20, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA, BA, SPG
just got a quote from the travel agent of our tour, through AIG. $458 for a 12 day tour through the middle East. Have to compare apples later tonight.But is that a well known policy, AIG Protect Assist, Travelguard.?
Old Feb 7, 20, 5:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Plt, 4mm, *A Silver, Free Agent
yes travelguard with AIG is reputable. I have not personally used it but it has decent reviews.
Old Feb 7, 20, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by 466SHH View Post
Another vote for GeoBlue. I usually max out the deductible and the limits (e.g., $1Mil of coverage and $500 deductible). I have actually needed to use it once in Japan and found the whole process very easy. Tip: You will get a faster response with a phone call rather than using the app if you actually need to see a doctor.
Are you doing this on a trip-by-trip basis or did you buy coverage for a full year? Considering this is really for something catastrophic happening, I am also looking for a high coverage policy, but it looks like the GeoBlue yearlong ones top out at a pretty low level.
Old Feb 7, 20, 10:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Are you doing this on a trip-by-trip basis or did you buy coverage for a full year? Considering this is really for something catastrophic happening, I am also looking for a high coverage policy, but it looks like the GeoBlue yearlong ones top out at a pretty low level.
I just buy it trip by trip. I priced out the annual coverage and on my international travel patterns, it is a bit cheaper that way. Plus the coverage for pre existing conditions is far better if I buy it trip by trip. I have a couple of those pesky things and while they have never been a problem when I am traveling, I donít want to give a carrier a reason to deny coverage either.

YMMV

Search this Thread
Search Engine: