Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Looking for battery-powered motion-detecting night light

Old Jan 18, 2020, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold/OneWorld Ruby

I'd like a small, battery-powered (ideally rechargeable but maybe it doesn't matter) night light that I can place in a hotel bathroom (which may or may not always have a conveniently located power socket), so that I don't have to put on the full blindingly bright light during a nighttime visit. Right now I sometimes carry a flashlight, put it on its lowest setting and set it on it's tailcap, but that's less than ideal in a number of ways.

Any recommendations?
Old Jan 19, 2020, 2:39 am

I have one from Xiaomi: https://xiaomi-mi.com/smart-lighting...n-night-light/
Old Jan 19, 2020, 11:05 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Will something like this suffice?
Amazon Amazon
Old Jan 19, 2020, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by lipoff
I'd like a small, battery-powered (ideally rechargeable but maybe it doesn't matter) night light that I can place in a hotel bathroom (which may or may not always have a conveniently located power socket), so that I don't have to put on the full blindingly bright light during a nighttime visit. Right now I sometimes carry a flashlight, put it on its lowest setting and set it on it's tailcap, but that's less than ideal in a number of ways.

Any recommendations?
Not sure why it has to be battery-powered or motion-detecting. Even an inconveniently-located electrical outlet should be sufficient to get the minimal illumination you would require from a nightlight. Your local Walmart should carry a two-pack of plug-in nightlights for about $6. (You might even find a one-pack at your local Dollar Tree or similar store.) And unless your hotel bed directly faces the bathroom, it's unlikely that the nightlight's illumination would disturb your sleep.

Edited to add: Of course, if your hotel bathroom has "switched" outlets that are only powered when the bathroom light is on, then my suggestion won't work. (I don't know how common switched outlets are in hotel bathrooms.)

Last edited by guv1976; Jan 19, 2020 at 11:41 am
Old Jan 19, 2020, 11:37 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by lipoff

Any recommendations?
These work quite well: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerci...-3PK/305663408
Old Jan 19, 2020, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommendations!

It needs to be wireless because I have found that hotel bathrooms do not always have outlets, those outlets are not always conveniently located where the light should go or where the motion comes from, and when travelling overseas, they are not always universal outlets.

I am thinking of getting the Mr. Beams MB750 Stand Anywhere light.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 9:43 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
I have some 18650 powered flashlights from Fenix and Thrunite that have low power "firefly" modes that will last for a month on a single charge. These can also run in their slightly higher brightness modes for over a week on a single charge. Won't turn off automatically, but will work great as a nightlite.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 2:06 pm

Here is the link to LED toilet lights on Amazon ,
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=toilet+led+light&ref=nb_sb_noss_1 https://www.amazon.com/s?k=toilet+led+light&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Hope that is what you are looking for .......
Old Jan 26, 2020, 6:42 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Ooh - we have one of those led toilet lights! It's not IN the toilet but we do use it in the WC - it's clipped to a storage unit for ambient room light. We use the red light - doesn't wake you up as much as the white light. But you have to get pretty close for the motion sensor to work - I don't think it will light your way across a hotel room until you get to the bathroom - it'll just light up once you get to the bathroom (though, because ours is in a small toilet room inside the bathroom, I'm not sure what the "open" distance to notice motion would be.) Cheap item to see if it would work for you....
Old Feb 14, 2020, 3:14 am
Original Poster

So I did end up getting a Mr. Beams MB750 Stand Anywhere light (well actually two of them because they came in a pack of two: one will stay home and one will come with me travelling).

It is very well made out of nice materials. It is waterproof and really does stand up solidly.

It does exactly what I wanted. I can put it next to the sink and it pops on as soon as I open the door and stays on while I move around the bathroom. I had to fiddle with the exact angle to get it both to turn on and stay on, but it works fine. It has a nice ambient light sensor so it doesn't turn on when it's not already dark. It has a little switch that can turn it off, so it won't accidentally ignite in transit. With 4 AA batteries it should last a long time and be easy to replace anywhere. The light is both bright and diffuse and is a good level. I probably should have gotten the amber version instead though.

Any gripes? Yes, but small ones. I think 20 seconds without motion is a bit short; 60 seconds or more might have been better. The deactivation switch is very small and requires twisting the bottom cover to get at. A membrane button on the exterior might be more convenient and still not compromise the waterproofing. And it would be nice to have a slightly wider angle of acceptance cone, but this one is fine too.

All in all, I'm very pleased with my purchase.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.