Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Crest Toothpast in 2.9 oz size!

Old Dec 9, 19, 11:26 am
Original Poster

In the past, I've used a tiny 0.85 oz tube of toothpaste. They are expensive for the amount of toothpaste that you get. After using it up, I've added toothpaste to the small tube by pressing a big tube of toothpaste. It requires precision to line up the two tubes. You must press hard to avoid a mess.

Thankfully, I've discovered that Crest makes a fairly big 2.9 oz tube of toothpaste. It complies with the TSA 3-1-1 rule that limits permissible gels and liquids to 3.4 oz/100 ml size or smaller. It is moderately priced. I've seen it sold for between $1.00 and $1.75 (Walmart, Dollar General). That favorably compares in price to the 6.4 oz size often used at home. Furthermore, it lasts an entire trip and then the next trip and more. The tiny 0.85 oz tube does not reliably last a week unless it is completely full. This is partly because there will always be some toothpaste inside, possibly 0.15 oz (if so leaving 0.7 oz of toothpaste to use versus 2.75 oz with a 2.9 oz. tube).

This is great! So happy!
Old Dec 9, 19, 11:33 am

Programs: BAEC, Priority Club, Fairmont Presidents Club
Originally Posted by A318neo View Post
In the past, I've used a tiny 0.85 oz tube of toothpaste. They are expensive for the amount of toothpaste that you get. After using it up, I've added toothpaste to the small tube by pressing a big tube of toothpaste. It requires precision to line up the two tubes. You must press hard to avoid a mess.

Thankfully, I've discovered that Crest makes a fairly big 2.9 oz tube of toothpaste. It complies with the TSA 3-1-1 rule that limits permissible gels and liquids to 3.4 oz/100 ml size or smaller. It is moderately priced. I've seen it sold for between $1.00 and $1.75 (Walmart, Dollar General). That favorably compares in price to the 6.4 oz size often used at home. Furthermore, it lasts an entire trip and then the next trip and more. The tiny 0.85 oz tube does not reliably last a week unless it is completely full. This is partly because there will always be some toothpaste inside, possibly 0.15 oz (if so leaving 0.7 oz of toothpaste to use versus 2.75 oz with a 2.9 oz. tube).

This is great! So happy!

It is my favourite size when I can find it.
Old Dec 9, 19, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
2.9oz takes up too much space in my toiletry kit. I agree that 0.85oz is often too small, but I prefer the 1.4oz travel sizes.
Old Dec 9, 19, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I've been able to find Colgate Sensitive toothpaste in 1.3-ounce or 1.8-ounce sizes for $1.00 at Dollar Tree.
Old Dec 9, 19, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
They sell the 2.7oz version at the Target near me. It's my go-to for travel, usually costs about $2.50 and is perfect IMO. It usually lasts me 3-5 trips (depends on length of trip of course)
Old Dec 10, 19, 3:01 am

A lot of people just use these travel tubes for toothpaste, lotion.....etc
Humangear Travel Tubes
Old Dec 14, 19, 12:50 am

Programs: CO OnePass; AAdvantage Dirt; IHG Priority Club Plat; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold; Avis PresPref;
Weight vs. volume

Colgate toothpaste is available in a 4.6 oz WEIGHT format that meets the TSA requirement for VOLUME less than 100ml. The top twists off for re-loading from a larger tube of product. I use this in my 3-1-1 bag and have had an issue only once with an especially idiotic TSA agent (OK, low bar...) at DEN who could not distinguish between weight and volume (clearly not a grad of a STEM program.) After that experience I peel off the label and just use the container, have not had an issue anywhere in the world. The capacity is more than sufficient for an extended trip.
Old Dec 15, 19, 8:50 pm

No Need To Purchase

Perhaps it's a Canadian thing but all 4 of the dentists my family have visited recently hand out toothbrushes and sample size (15 ML) toothpaste with every visit . These small tubes last a surprisingly long time . As of now we have 6 or so in inventory . Never a need to purchase .
Badenoch likes this.
Old Dec 16, 19, 6:11 am

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I've found under 90ml toothpaste tubes in the UK although they do take up space in the 311. I recently discovered a very handy 65ml vertical container of Pronamel toothpaste that is a perfect fit.
Old Dec 16, 19, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Originally Posted by A318neo View Post

This is great! So happy!
Amateur!

Here's what you do:

1. Have your empty small tube and big full tube ready.

2. From previous toothpaste tubes you will have collected the two tops. Drill a hole through the tops of both. Glue the two together end-on-end using Crazy Glue.

3. Attach the top-mater that you have just created to both tubes, ensuring the small tube is pressed flat with no air.

4. Squeeze form the large to the small. You may have to undo the small one once or twice to let air escape.

Easy peasy.
MtlTourist likes this.

Last edited by LondonElite; Dec 16, 19 at 7:35 am
Old Dec 16, 19, 2:08 pm

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
So how big is the financial loss just using the commercial small/tiny product vs all the mess mentioned above? A dollar a year?

Most longhaul business class amenity kits contain a small tub, which is enough for my short haul trips between two longhaul trips. In the rare case they aren't, I open one of the dental kits in the hotel bathroom and use the tub from there.
Old Dec 16, 19, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Amateur!

Here's what you do:

1. Have your empty small tube and big full tube ready.

2. From previous toothpaste tubes you will have collected the two tops. Drill a hole through the tops of both. Glue the two together end-on-end using Crazy Glue.
You can 3D print a toothpaste coupler instead of drill + glue. For that professional touch.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3520125
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:158910

Some people have toothpaste preferences which don't come in travel sizes. Toothpaste flavoring can be regional and sometimes that difference is not a welcome surprise.

It is also kind of interesting to note that different regions have different interpretations of what is the appropriate toothpaste amount https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...1111/idj.12074 which also seems to vary here. I'm not sure I'd go through 0.85 oz in a week with twice daily brushing. A small binder clip usually helps me get it pretty empty. I tend to either pack a fresh extra when I'm running low & will be traveling for a longer duration or swap the remaining tube out for a new one. The used travel toothpaste tube gets finished up at home.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: