Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Who travel with a Pelican 1510

Old Nov 27, 19, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond. American Airlines Platinum, Mariott: Gold. Delta: Gold

Let's say for a moment that you aren't weight sensitive and lifting a few pounds into the over head is the least of concerned because, well, you are a relatively light packer anyway that only ever travels with 3 pairs of meriono wool socks, underware and t shirts and the rest is suits, ties, shirts, jacket etc.

The primary goals here are:
1)Water proof for when the luggage handlers leave the luggage on the tarmac in a monsoon or rain (happens all the time).
2) Durability for when you do decide to check
3) A bag you can sit on during long lines.
4) That life time always replaced warranty in the rare instance something does happen.

Generally with my Tumi or GRO i will carry on the bag on the way to a location (but still have to valet gate check anything larger than a back pack because i have to fly a commuter plane to a larger hub) and check it all the way through on the way home.

The Pelican 1510 sounds perfect as a travel work horse. (I can save the tumi etc. for when i am trying to make an impression on a new boss I am traveling with etc.)

The only issue I see with it is I have read a few horror stories of people being nearly assaulted by TSA just walking through the airport (even after clearing the line) of no other reason than their bag says Pelican. Apparantly TSA thinks everyone with the Pelican logo on their bag has a bomb. Logically...if someone WERE carrying a bomb..they obviously WOULDN'T use a pelican unless their goal was to have it searched and found so the TSA guys are morons for thinking that a true do-badder wouldn't hide their contra-band in a Jansport bag from wal mart....... but I digress.

Does anyone here have real world experience with traveling this way? I often just travel with a back pack or when i do bring a roller board, i have the smaller International size tumi that I bring. I also have the Travel Pro rolling garment bag for when i am only concerned with packing suits in the roller.

However, i find the utility of being able to SIT on my bag when i have having a gout flare (or am just tired) to be very attractive. Water proof and crush proof are just icing on the cake (but really good icing).

These bags can be had for cheap...as of right now you can get one for like $120 on amazon for the normally more expensive 'with foam" (it's removable) option. That is too good a deal to turn down even if only end up using it for camping trips, car trips and moving fragile items and never fly with it. That being said, I think i would like to fly with it....ESPECIALLY since i always have to gate check on a commuter on the way out and usually check all the way through on the way back. It is really dealing with TSA on the way out and dealing with issues during my lay over on the way out that i am concerned about it. On the way back there wont be anything too expensive in it if it gets searched being returned all the way through.

Alternatively, I suppose i could just always check the thing with some of my less essential extra type items since it will be durable enough to withstand the abuse (and doesn't cost me a dime extra for checking one bag)...but I would loose my rolling chair for those lines on the way out.

Last edited by Allentown; Nov 27, 19 at 10:09 am
Old Nov 27, 19, 10:19 am

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Keep in mind that the weight of the pelican case will limit you on how much stuff you can put inside.

I have several pelican cases, very rarely will I carry one on, most of the time I check them, but every time I did it would attract attention:
1. Any fragile sensitive equipment inside? Airlines want to put their sticker on it and want me to sign an insurance waiver.
2. Looks like there's something expensive inside....steal me!!!!

Never got anyone thinking I'm hiding something nefarious inside my pelicans though.

Honestly I like using my Briggs and Reilly roll aboards for my carryon and checked baggage instead of my Pelicans. They are very lightweight and durable, and yet it doesn't call attention to itself unnecessarily. I like to travel low key. When I have sensitive equipment to check or ship, I'll use the pelican cases, but otherwise regular bags it is.
Allentown and Loren Pechtel like this.
Old Nov 27, 19, 11:58 am

Programs: AA LT PLT (2.6+ MM), UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold.
I have and use a 1510 for moving fragile T&M equipment when travelling. I really like the case but it has one big drawback... The wheels are small and the clearance between the bottom of the case and the surface it is being rolled on often causes it to snag on things when wheeling it. And as others have said, it's also pretty heavy when empty so somewhat limiting as a carry-on.
Allentown and Loren Pechtel like this.
Old Nov 27, 19, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond. American Airlines Platinum, Mariott: Gold. Delta: Gold
"Looks expensive" responses:

"it is my grandmothers ashes"
"it is my laptop, i am a world champion Minecraft player"
"I like to carry wal mart wardrobe items in a Pelican just to confuse TSA"
"It's just sneakers and jeans"
"the new Vans just came out so yea..... Pelican this week"
"It is the top secret version of next years Apple releases, I am a beta tester"
"It's donald trump's tax returns"
"It is the real ending of Game of Thrones that was never released"
"Mostly dirty underware"
"Just old buisness papers"
"I'm taking the new line of old spice to Terri Crews"
"We finally solved how to divide up the gaza strip, the maps are inside"
"its a non-GMO solution to world hunger"
"we figured out cold fusion last weekend"
"Its the REAL version of the Tesla Truck"
"Jimmy the buttcher doesn't take any chances with the watch collection"

...you know what....it might be worth carrying on just to try these (and more) out.

All kidding aside, it seems like it might be a good "need to check a bag" option for when I have to do 3 bag travel.

Last edited by Allentown; Nov 27, 19 at 2:39 pm
Old Nov 27, 19, 8:26 pm

Programs: 30+ years of continous AS MVP/MVPG, Hertz Gold Plus 5*, Marriott Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
It’s on a flash sale at B&H right now. Couldn’t resist $143 w dividers shipped.
Old Nov 28, 19, 7:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LTT, DL Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Have you looked at the 1535 Air? Might be a good compromise between the robustness of 1510 and the reduced weight. I've traveled with Pelican cases often to carry work-related gear as checked luggage and 1510/1535 as carry-on cases and prefer the Air versions unless what you're carrying requires a ton of cushioning and/or light enough.
Allentown likes this.
Old Dec 1, 19, 8:04 am

Programs: M/M
I have traveled with the 1510-series from Pelican.

If you have status with a legacy carrier, you'll have very minimal issues with bringing this case on-board an aircraft.

However, if you tend to fly the budget or ULCC-sort, then don't take this case with you to travel.

At 12 lbs, the empty weight is already over 50% of what is authorized to be considered carry-on luggage.

I hope the creative response of what contents are inside weigh less than the case itself.

Otherwise, I have never been questioned about my Pelican cases when I have traveled.
Allentown likes this.
Old Dec 2, 19, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

I have never once had my carry on weighed (I only fly AA or Delta).

Besides, it's not a Pelican it's my daughter's little suitcase (see image).

Truth be told it's WAY smaller than what I see other PAX carry on and it's no heavier than a good Tumi or G-ro (subjectively).
Old Dec 3, 19, 9:56 am

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Allentown View Post
I have never once had my carry on weighed (I only fly AA or Delta).

Besides, it's not a Pelican it's my daughter's little suitcase (see image).

Truth be told it's WAY smaller than what I see other PAX carry on and it's no heavier than a good Tumi or G-ro (subjectively).
I never had my 1510 weight at US domestic.
I heard horror with LCC around E and SE Asia and 1510s.
Allentown likes this.

Search this Thread