Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Spinner Bag with Detachable Wheels to Maximize Space

Old Nov 21, 19, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Especially with the differences between US, international, and budget airlines, it would be great to have a spinner bag with detachable wheels to maximize space and avoid gate check fees.

The only product I found is this old post from Delsey but it doesn't look sold anymore:
https://shop.delsey.com/delsey-tips/...able-wheels/27

I'd settle for a bag with wheels that could be removed via allen key since I don't anticipate it happening often.
Old Nov 25, 19, 9:31 am

THAT is a genius idea. Forget the allen wrench and just make them like on the old Delsey model you mention. Then you can quickly pop them off if measurements are required.
Old Nov 25, 19, 4:41 pm

It's a nice idea in theory, but detachable wheels introduce some very vulnerable failure points to the bag. After taking a look at the pics of the Delsey luggage, I don't think I'd trust those plastic wheel housings or the thin metal spindle to not break. I suspect that the fact that the bag's no longer for sale indicates that it wasn't a successful design.
thinkingallowed likes this.

Last edited by ordx; Nov 25, 19 at 6:12 pm
Old Nov 25, 19, 5:15 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Solid versus detachable requires some clearance/play, that becomes the weak point and stressed as wheels will be, good luck with doing that design for cheap enough to make it business viable feature.
thinkingallowed likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: