Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

After All These Years, Changing My One Bag For Three To Four Day Trips, Suggestions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

After All These Years, Changing My One Bag For Three To Four Day Trips, Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2019, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

OK folks, been on here for quite a few years and I'll share with you what I have carried and now looking for that one bag for the short to intermediate trips, plane and car. I'd like to go VERY light. but reliable. Lifetime guarantee, bulletproof design, do NOT want to be concerned about the bag failing me while on the road.

My carry bags for all these last ten plus years has been the Air Boss with Compression straps. Will be keeping this bag for longer trips, say two weeks in duration. Been carrying the Red Oxx Sunchaser for the shorter trips. Will keep this bag for trips to the hot springs, car camping, extra gear in addition to my climbing packs. DO NOT want to carry this anymore on the planes as when packed, the bag with the additional side pockets gets a fairly WIDE platform of a footprint. I LIKE BAGS A LITTLE STREAMLINED AND SLIMMER, if possible.

Here's what I've been looking seriously at...

1) Tom Bihn Western Flyer. Had the Tristar but sold it as I have the Airboss. Carry as my EDC the Co-Pilot in Ballistic. GREAT BAG, has replaced from day to day my Tumi Expandable Briefcase. I NO LONGER need to carry a Laptop! Just clothes, personal gear and running shoes, size 10.5D. Is the Western Flyer 'large' enough for three days to a week with running shoes, going light, casual?

2) Red Oxx Mini Boss. Like the bag but that laptop sleeve to me is a waste of space and design, it will get in the way. Why on earth is this bag only with that laptop sleeve? Goes up against the Western Flyer nicely though.

3) Tom Bihn Aeronaut 30. Looks like a nice design but to me, can grow large and cumbersome. Kind of a cross between a duffle and a carry on bag. Might have some potential?

4) GoRuck... I initially liked them but their price hike and now building overseas, that turned me off big time.

5) Slimmer duffels can work too, maybe the Tom Bihn 36 Road Buddy Duffel?

I know there are many other bags on the market but I look to U.S. manufacturers with bulletproof warranties and excellent workmanship for the next bag to buy. I would appreciate some thoughts if you have 'em. I recognize this has been a long post, but in all my years, it's THE FIRST ONE that I put to the forum. Appreciate!

Last edited by Climb14er; Nov 16, 2019 at 12:47 pm Reason: spelling
Old Nov 16, 2019, 8:44 pm

Is your preferred carry method via a shoulder strap? The Western Flyer is a good bit lighter than the Mini Boss for that "VERY light". I presume you meant less contents, but no reason to put 10 lbs of gear in a 3.4 lb bag.
MEI Mini Voyager is a little shorter with clamshell backpack carry and compression straps https://meipacks.myshopify.com/produ...-voyageur-mini Shorter would give you a little more room at your feet if you have to store it underseat. MEI is open to custom modifications so you could possibly have shoulder strap attachments added Seeking info on MEI Convertible
MEI Executive Overnighter first impressions, photos and Red Oxx comparison

The accessibility orientation while being carried and packing flow differs a bit for 1+2, 3, 4, and 5. You'd be able to pull something out of the Western Flyer or Mini Boss while wearing a shoulder strap like headphones or toiletries. Aeronaut 30 has a two flat end pockets which can be used in the same way but you really "fill pack" it like a duffel or use packing cubes. Stuff won't easily slip out the ends like it can with a 50/50 clamshell. Backpacks orientation in side carry shoulder mode may not be very accessible.

There's a good list of U.S. bag manufacturers here: https://www.carryology.com/liking/br...ckpack-brands/

I own the Aeronaut 30 and my preferred carry for heavier (15 -20 lbs+) bags is by backpack straps. It isn't as comfortable as an actual backpack with these straps. I have purchased the frame sheet to see if it will help with the load though keep in mind I'm "economy sized". I do like the side handles which help me pull it out of an overhead bin and that it can be "fill packed", plus moved with contents without closing it.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 4:32 pm

I have used a Patagonia Black Hole 40L duffel bag the last few trips with great success. The backpack straps are easily stowable and do a solid job of carrying the weight. The bag, well loaded will still fit under the seat on both commuter jets and SWA to date.
It can be had for a 100ish with a sharp pencil.

I am very intrigued by the Tom Bihn Synik though it is 300 USD.

35L Cotopaxi Alpa is feature packed at 200ish USD

If warranty is really driving the train-Osprey is one of the few q-teed for life, no hassle, no wiggle room brands that is still out there. They have any number of carry on offerings under 150 USD and can often be had on sale.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.