Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Minimalist travel jacket?

Old Nov 1, 19, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: DM Gold, Marriott Plat

Anyone have recommendations for a minimalist travel jacket? I don’t need a sport coat, just need something to keep warm when temps drop. And preferably with some wind/rain resistance, or wind/waterproofness. Am considering these Arc’Teryx products: the Solano hoody https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/mens/solano-hoody or the Norvan SL insulated https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/mens...nsulated-hoody. Just hoping someone has a “travel tested” solution that packs into a super small space!
Old Nov 1, 19, 9:38 am

Programs: United, American
I am in Chicago and travel out west were temps might only drop to 40 at night. This jacket has proven rain resistant and comfortable from 40-60 F. Its thin and stuff-able in my carry-on. No hood - but I have a travel umbrella and if needed a basic wool cap.

Ascender Jacket
Old Nov 5, 19, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by OneBagManiac View Post
Anyone have recommendations for a minimalist travel jacket? I don’t need a sport coat, just need something to keep warm when temps drop. And preferably with some wind/rain resistance, or wind/waterproofness. Am considering these Arc’Teryx products: the Solano hoody https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/mens/solano-hoody or the Norvan SL insulated https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/mens...nsulated-hoody. Just hoping someone has a “travel tested” solution that packs into a super small space!
I don't know about the Solano, but every review I've seen of the Norvan suggests that it's relatively fragile and may not be abrasion resistant. I'd be wary of wearing it under a heavy pack.

As another alternative, have you considered taking a separate insulating layer and a shell? Something like the NF Thermoball or Uniqlo's Ultralight Down for the insulation paired with the Patagonia Torrentshell or the Uniqlo Blocktech Parka for the waterproof jacket. You'll pay a small weight penalty, but this gives you a lot more flexibility as you can wear the shell separately.
TPACjv likes this.
Old Nov 5, 19, 7:43 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum. AA and UA as well, but I don't care about them anymore.
I wear a Patagonia Nano-Puff when I travel. It's everything you ask, though the rain resistance isn't as good as others, it is somewhat rain resistant, but I also carry a travel umbrella or a packable rain jacket too, since IMO this breathes and isn't as heavy feeling as something more substantially rain-proof. I'm comfortable in it everywhere from the high 60s to the teens (with proper layering) plus if it does get too hot, I can shove it into my messenger or backpack and it doesn't take up much room at all once it's pushed down into the bag.

I've worn it all over Europe, up in the Alps, Canada, and at home daily and when camping.
Old Nov 6, 19, 8:46 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K, Marriott Platinum and Chairman's Club
I know this isn't a girl thread, but in case females are curious, I swear by the Canada Goose hybridge light jacket. This thing is amazing. It has 800 FP down and stretchy side panels, so it's form-fitting and not all fluffy like most down coats, but maintains great warmth AND is breathable. It packs down into it's own pocket to make a handy pillow. This has been with me to South, North and West africa, France, Czech, Italy, Iceland, Russia, China and switzerland. I was recently knocked down the subway in St Petersburg and tore the sleeve; Canada Goose repaired it for free (lifetime warranty). Ive worn it trekking in the Sahara (gets cold at night) and to Michelin restaurants (with tights, heeled boots, and a LBD its pretty cute). It's not the greatest waterproof, so I wear a Rains jacket over it if the weather forecast looks wet. I initially balked at the price, but it's been worth every penny. Don't ask me whether I'd take it, or my spouse, with me when travelling.
Old Nov 8, 19, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Depending on the weather I expect I go with either a Patagonia Nano-Puff or Uniqlo's ultra-light down vest.

The Uniqlo + umbrella combo is great as vests are more breathable than jackets anyways.
Old Nov 10, 19, 10:58 pm

I have a decade old Arc'teryx jacket that is fraying at the bottom, and was holding off on researching for a new rain jacket until after the new North Face Futurelight products were released, hoping to check out the Flight series soon.
Old Nov 11, 19, 7:41 pm

I wear a fairly basic Sierra designs windbreaker, but either wear an TNF El Cap shirt underneath or a merino wool sweater, something available from many retailers. If it's a merino wool sweater, it will be a dressy model from Tip Top or Moore's, so it can be used in multiple instances. I'm currently looking for a merino wool turtleneck, to keep rain from pouring down my shirt.

For warmer climates, if I'm concerned about damage to my good sports coats, I have a TAG men's safari coat. Multiple pockets, can be handwashed and really quite cheap. About 120cdn online from their website including shipping.

C
Old Jan 5, 20, 3:31 pm

I am using North Side 3 in 1 jacket. When arriving to airport, I pack outer shell to luggage/carry on. I either keep insulative part on me or pack it in back-pack. Works really well.

I beleive that combination of outer shell and insulative jacket are supperior to thick jackets like Canada Goose as those are cumbersome and difficult to pack. Combo is really versatile.

Recently I have converted to Arcteryx. Their down jacket is really cool and packs really small. It can be combined with more formal looking outer shells from other brands like Marmot.
Old Jan 6, 20, 5:50 am

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by klew97 View Post
I have a decade old Arc'teryx jacket that is fraying at the bottom, and was holding off on researching for a new rain jacket until after the new North Face Futurelight products were released, hoping to check out the Flight series soon.
Just saw the F-light series in NYC before new year and they gear looks excellent. They had an in depth display of how the fabrics work as well as the gear for sale. They jackets look super durable and like the won't wet out.

My next shell is either going to be goretex shakedry or f light.
Old Jan 6, 20, 10:37 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, AAdvantage, HHonors, Marriott Bonvoy,
I second the Patagonia Nano-Puff.
My go to combination is: Patagonia Nano-Puff + Marmot Men's Minimalist Lightweight Waterproof Rain Jacket (GORE-TEX).
Both are packable, hold well down to 20F and in rain and can be used as layers or individually. The nano-puff could be worn over a suit jacket too.
Have used for for over 3 years during travel in US (year around), Asia (tropics, summer and rainy season), and EU (winter). So much more convenient than carrying a bulky jacket.
These days I am leaning towards the Bluffworks Vest to include in that combination. This has significant insulation and is not as packable, but looks smart.

Last edited by notSoFreqFlyr20; Jan 6, 20 at 10:42 am Reason: Added one line.
Old Jan 6, 20, 10:40 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
I went to REI and picked up their store-brand rain shell thing (forget the exact name). Basically it is a waterproof breathable (like gore-tex) material with no insulation. It will protect against rain and wind but provides no warmth. I just pack a regular hoodie to wear on the plane. If I'm going to a colder destination, the combination of rain shell and hoodie keep me warm enough.

I also have a Patagonia Down puff (not the nano, but the next one up). It packs down very small and is great for cold and wind, but isn't good in rain.
Old Jan 22, 20, 1:14 am

My Arcteryx Atom LT hoodie goes everywhere I go. It compresses down to nothing and keeps me comfortable in a huge range of temperatures.
Old Mar 25, 20, 10:02 pm

REI is having a 25% off sale for Arcteryx (until April 6) and North Face (until April 19) and 30% off Patagonia (until April 11). I ordered a North Face Futurelight Flight jacket, obviously can't test in stores first, but they have a generous return policy. Should be for non-members as well.
https://www.rei.com/h/deals

Search this Thread
Search Engine: