Search

Travel insurance - missed onward flight

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2019, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: VA Platinum
Travel insurance - missed onward flight

Hi everyone

I'm trying to buy an annual / multi trip travel insurance policy here in Australia.
The key benefit I need is cover for any delays or events which lead to an onward flight being missed.

This will be when we book flights on separate tickets/PNRs. Insureandgo and 1Cover state that they only pay if you have left a 6h or 4h 'connection'.
Does anyone know which insurers will pay out as long as the minimum connection time for that airport is adhered to? 4 - 6h is very long...

Thanks
Nick
Old Oct 31, 2019, 6:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Your problem is that there is no MCT for separate tickets. That is why few policies other than those which cover "all perils" protect across separate tickets. Those policies are generally very expensive.

This is largely because one of the consequences of skipping a ticket is that it is cancelled and retains little or no value, the claims for these events can be much higher.

Most of this will come down to having to read the language of the insurance contract rather than the summary very carefully because most policies refer to "connections" which separate ticket transfers are not.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: LH M&M FTL
MCT is only valid on single ticket/PNR, because the airlines "know what they are doing" and are willing to compensate if they screw up.

Separate ticket bookings mostly happen because you fly ie. low-cost carriers or two airlines who do not interline with each other (possibly different alliances, different handling companies at the airport etc.)

Some airports will not let you move freely in the secure area between terminals without valid connecting BP, even if they have the facilities for true connecting passengers.

How about changing terminals? Having to check-in at the desk because OLCI is for some reason not working, having to exit the airport all together, clear potential immigration, doing check-in, clearing security again...I found it's not worth the hassle unless there is a major financial factor and 4h is the bare minimum if everything works fine.
(happened to me before, two separate tickets at CDG, arriving on Air Tahiti Nui, I had to exit in T2A and head to T2E to catch my Air France flight.

If all goes faster? Go chill in the lounge, even for a paid entry, it's a small dent in the saving you've just achieved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.