Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Check in suitcases that last - 26 inch or 28 inch

Old Oct 25, 19, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Good afternoon,

The folks, senior citizens, are about to do some international travel to visit kids, grand kids and so on. They like to check in their luggage, as they usually fly between continents, and are allowed either 2pcs/50 lbs or about 1pc/80 lbs when travelling within Asia in business class.

Suitcases and airline regulations have changed a lot, light weight and durability is king to them. They like the regular rectangular type suitcase, prefer soft sided or light weight hard sided. Sadly, duffels and bacpacks do not work for them.

The sizes they usually check in are 26inches or 28inches.

They will be getting it from the USA before they head out on their trip shortly and may not be able to hold on till the holiday sales.

What would you all recommend? They do not want to spend more than $400 or so per bag, maybe a bit more, and less is always welcome.

Much appreciated
Old Oct 25, 19, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by andymillichamp View Post
Good afternoon,

The folks, senior citizens, are about to do some international travel to visit kids, grand kids and so on. They like to check in their luggage, as they usually fly between continents, and are allowed either 2pcs/50 lbs or about 1pc/80 lbs when travelling within Asia in business class.

Suitcases and airline regulations have changed a lot, light weight and durability is king to them. They like the regular rectangular type suitcase, prefer soft sided or light weight hard sided. Sadly, duffels and bacpacks do not work for them.

The sizes they usually check in are 26inches or 28inches.

They will be getting it from the USA before they head out on their trip shortly and may not be able to hold on till the holiday sales.

What would you all recommend? They do not want to spend more than $400 or so per bag, maybe a bit more, and less is always welcome.

Much appreciated
Have you looked at the away expandable series? It's made out of Nylon. Largest one is 345. I think it's durable? Never tried personally though
andymillichamp likes this.
Old Oct 25, 19, 3:36 pm

Programs: United, American

TravelPro Platinum® Elite 25” Expandable Spinner 9.8 lbs $389

TravelPro Maxlite® 5 25" Expandable Spinner 7.3lbs $189

andymillichamp and newmarket like this.
Old Oct 25, 19, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Any recommendations for Tumi?

Is Costco still selling a good quality roll on (carry on) bag? I recall it used to be compared to Tumi a few years ago

Much appreciated
Old Oct 25, 19, 7:47 pm

Programs: United, American
Originally Posted by andymillichamp View Post
Any recommendations for Tumi?
You had a limit of $400 each - so I think Tumi is well outside that.

I have heard some people like delsey luggage at this price range.

Victorinox ? Samsonite ?

Last edited by Tesla1856; Oct 25, 19 at 7:57 pm
Old Oct 27, 19, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

I am a very big fan of the travelpro 25” spinner.
Tesla1856 likes this.
Old Oct 29, 19, 10:49 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

TravelPro Maxlite® 5 25" Expandable Spinner 7.3lbs $189

About a year ago I picked up two of the Maxlite 25" bags for myself and Mrs. BLG. We've used them on three or four trips and they've been great. Absolutely love how light they are which has been very useful in surviving the 50 lb. weight limit at times. Full they will weigh 50 lbs if you let them. Can't imagine getting anything larger because of weight. They seem very well made for light bags. For a half dozen trips a year they're great. If I had to use them every week I'd probably go for the Elite because it should be more durable and less likely to fail.
Tesla1856 likes this.
Old Nov 3, 19, 7:16 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, True Blue, Southwest, IHG
Not lightweight, but the old Samsonite Oyster is the most durable. My mum was a frequent flier and has been using hers for decades. There have been almost no issues with her suitcases. She has a 26/27" and a 28/29". She uses a luggage strap with a TSA lock so the old lock being non-TSA is not a problem. As she always uses a cart, the 2-wheel set up and non-ergonomic handles are also not an issue. She is 70 is capable of picking up her own luggage from the belt although someone usually offers to help. She is however looking to switching to a 4-wheeled suitcase in the next few years. This luggage has been discontinued for years but deals can be found on ebay and sometimes at Goodwill.

For an ultralight suitcase, My grandmother (90), uses a Samsonite Cosmolite a 4-wheeled suitcase which is in the $500-600 range but can be found cheaper sometimes in the $400s. We have been using a Samsonite F'lite 28" (old version). The newer version can be found here in the $140 range. These cases are just plain cases and do not have any built-in organizational pockets. Best way to pack these is to use packing cubes or to wrap trousers around folded stacks.

Last edited by tcl; Nov 3, 19 at 7:18 am Reason: clarification

Search this Thread
Search Engine: