Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Which is Better: Tumi Alpha 3 or 2 Carry-On?

Old Oct 24, 19, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P/MM; HH Gold; MR Gold

Hi all,

I have a 15-year old Tumi Alpha International (22 x 9 x 14) carry-on two wheeler that has been a wonderful bag, but due to arm/shoulder strain I've decided to add a Tumi four-wheel spinner in the same size.

There are lots of gently pre-owned ones out there, and for spinners I have a choice of Alpha 2 or Alpha 3.

I have already read a lot about alternative brands, so this is a Tumi user question: For those of you who have used both Alpha 2 and 3 carry-ons, which one do you like better and why? I see that Alpha 3 added dual access and the funny-looking full length "bumpers" but I don't know if they're a good thing. Also, I know lots of folks say "Tumi quality isn't what it once was," but if Alpha 2 or 3 have frequent points of failure, what are they?

Many thanks,

- G.

Last edited by gregger; Oct 28, 19 at 8:31 am
Old Oct 27, 19, 12:48 am

I thought the Alpha 2 was relatively new (in the last decade or so), so how would you have a 15 year old one? You mean the original Alpha?
gregger likes this.
Old Oct 28, 19, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P/MM; HH Gold; MR Gold
Whoops, you're absolutely correct. I have the "original" Alpha, and am wondering if Alpha 2 or Alpha 3 would be preferable as an upgrade (gently used unit).

I edited my OP. Thanks much!
Old Nov 24, 19, 9:13 am

Programs: Delta Platinum and Million Miler, Starwood Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Dual access looks great

Originally Posted by gregger View Post
Hi all,

I have a 15-year old Tumi Alpha International (22 x 9 x 14) carry-on two wheeler that has been a wonderful bag, but due to arm/shoulder strain I've decided to add a Tumi four-wheel spinner in the same size.

There are lots of gently pre-owned ones out there, and for spinners I have a choice of Alpha 2 or Alpha 3.

I have already read a lot about alternative brands, so this is a Tumi user question: For those of you who have used both Alpha 2 and 3 carry-ons, which one do you like better and why? I see that Alpha 3 added dual access and the funny-looking full length "bumpers" but I don't know if they're a good thing. Also, I know lots of folks say "Tumi quality isn't what it once was," but if Alpha 2 or 3 have frequent points of failure, what are they?

Many thanks,

- G.
Gregger,

Bumping your post — I’ve been bouncing around with bags for a few years now — most recently using a hard sided “carbon fiber” Hartmann that has served me well for 5 years, but now the zipper is failing for the second time. Was thinking of RIMOWA, but hat having to open my bag to access toiletries, so the Tumi dual access looks like a winner. Any experience with these bags?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: