Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Best bag for one-night trips

Old Oct 3, 19, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

I feel like my standard carry-on size rollerboard is way too big for a one-night trip (in which I pack an extra shirt, underwear and toiletries - not much else).

what are some recommendations for smaller bags (cases, duffels, backpacks) for one-night trips? The only caveat is that Id prefer they were appropriate to bring along to business meetings, so Ill probably shy away from really casual options.

thanks in advance!
Old Oct 3, 19, 11:15 pm

Spare dress shirt, underwear, small toiletry kit? Do you have a business-ready bag which can fit a few magazines in a stack? Yes? Just get a packing cube and put it in the bag.

I like the Eagle Creek Specter Tech with zips around on 3 sides and has thin handles on the ends. The slick fabric makes it easy to pull out of a bag especially if you tetris it with other similar material pouches. Some like Eagle Creek's packing folders which keep things less wrinkled. Lewis and Clark Electrolight is similar packing cube with a mesh front and "compression"/"expandable" zipper which helps if you're really not packing much inside.
Stewie Mac likes this.
Old Oct 4, 19, 4:32 am

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I use the Briggs and Riley Expandable Cabin Bag 231x. Unexpanded it passes (barely) as a personal item so can be carried on with a small roller. On it's own whether expanded or not there is plenty of space for a small computer and toiletries/clothes for a night or two. It also looks more like a laptop bag and is quite appropriate for office use. It is my most used piece of luggage.

https://www.briggs-riley.com/collect...cabin-bag-231x
edcaya likes this.

Last edited by Badenoch; Oct 4, 19 at 6:39 am
Old Oct 4, 19, 4:36 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
I use this for overnight trips which doubles as a briefcase

https://www.smythson.com/us/black-bu...g-1017395.html
Old Oct 4, 19, 10:32 am

Programs: 30+ years of continous AS MVP/MVPG, National Exec , Marriott Titanium, Nexus / Global Entry
I love this thing for 1 night trips. Fits in regional overheads (barely) and is great for rolling into a meeting with.

not entirely sure if they make them anymore though.

https://www.luggageonline.com/rimowa...ess-multiwheel
Old Oct 4, 19, 8:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Tom Bihn Tristar
Red Oxx Mini Air Boss
Briggs and Riley Rolling Cabin Bag
B&R cabin duffel or large weekender
Old Oct 7, 19, 7:54 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum. AA and UA as well, but I don't care about them anymore.
I use the Peak Design 30L Everyday Backpack... loads of room for my camera and a couple lenses, clothes (for up to 3 or 4 days), toiletries, tablet, laptop and cables and other odds and ends.
Old Oct 7, 19, 3:38 pm

I'm currently using the Tortuga Setout Divide. Good quality, lots of room, and compresses down when it's not filled with anything.
OneBagManiac likes this.
Old Oct 23, 19, 4:33 am

Programs: United, American
I would just look at a backpack, with small packing cubes inside it. I recently bought a Swissgear 5527 backpack to go with my Travelpro Crew expert carry-on rollar board. I think it looks business like, reasonably priced, matches the general look of my TravelPro, and it also (nearly) meets UA personal item limits. Its available only direct from the swissgear site and comes with an extended 10 year warranty.
Old Oct 23, 19, 10:00 am

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
I've got this (Swissgear Granada Rolling Case Nylon) -- fits under the seat on mainline planes unless completely stuffed and fits in the overhead of all mainline and connection carriers (at least in DL world).

Can easily fit 1-2 nights of stuff in the big pocket and easily handles my 15 inch Macbook Pro in the middle pocket. Looks professional as a rolling briefcase, I've never had any qualms rolling it into a meeting on a one-night trip and leaving it in the corner. I've had it for about 18 months and it's held up pretty well with multiple trips to Europe, Asia, and South America -- for longer trips I still take it along with my standard rollerboard and use it in place of a backpack.

Amazon Amazon
Old Oct 23, 19, 1:19 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, True Blue, Southwest, IHG
I use a discontinued Ellington convertible backpack-tote similar to this Camden backpack-tote by Sherpani. The material of my back is more of a satin-nylon so it is dressier. I also walk into client sites and offices with it in the tote configuration rather than the more casual backpack configuration. I separate my clothes from my work items using packing cubes and organizers.
Old Oct 30, 19, 8:46 am

Red Oxx Mini Boss

Another endorsement for the Red Oxx Mini Boss here. I use it as my go-to carry-on for 1-2 night trips. In a muted colour (black or midnight) it looks sufficiently business-like for a meeting, but it is very good for clothing too, especially if paired with a folder and packing cube. My favourites are the Eagle Creek Pack-It 18 inch Folder and half-cube. I would recommend upgrading the strap to the Long-Hauler strap, but otherwise hard to beat

Search this Thread
Search Engine: