Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Review: Lewis N Clark ONboard Underseat Duffel

Old Sep 18, 19, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, UA Premier, Marriott Titanium Elite

First off, let me say that I do not work for Lewis N Clark/LCI, nor was I paid to review this. I am just an ordinary IT guy who was looking for a good personal item to bring on leisure trips on both car trips and on airplanes. Was looking for a decent duffel or travel bag without breaking the bank, something that would be within the airline personal item space limits, and figured I could recommend this to others. After hunting down options from YouTube and Google searches, I found this bag.

I was going to buy a TravelPro duffel or travel bag but wanted something different (and less expensive), something with some structure, which most duffels lack, and something that would be guaranteed to fit under an airline seat, and not have any wasted space. This one was it! I can't wait to take this on my next flight! I already plan to use it for a couple of upcoming weekend trips first.

There are so many pockets, it's very light weight, and seems extremely durable. I also like the trolley strap in the back, where you can put it on the handle of your carryon. I'll most likely hang mine on the j-hook on my carryon on anyway, but it's nice to have both options.
There's even an RFID pocket in the front, a zip compartment to open that will hold a water bottle, and a place to clip on a carabeaner.

The one thing I like the most is that it is tapered on top, so it's not a perfect rectangle. More like a trapezoid. This is to allow it to go under the seat.

I bought mine directly off Amazon for $55:
Amazon Amazon

LCI also sells off their website as well for $80, but Amazon had a better price so I bought from them:
https://lewisnclark.com/onboard-underseat-duffel/

The website says the exterior dimensions are 16 x 9 x 8.5, but when I took a tape measure to it, the exterior dimensions are actually 17 x 9 x 8.5
I fly UA all the time, and their required dimensions for a personal item are 17 x 10 x 9, so this is right within the limits.

I bought this based off a thorough review I saw on another website (called Shereen Travels Cheap), and then saw the Amazon reviews.

Edit: One thing to note is that in the product photos, when you lift up the top flap to pack, there is supposed to be a mesh pocket with a zip under the flap. That feature is not there. I called LCI customer service and let them know that this feature was missing, as it is a VERY nice to have, and it was one of the features that made me want to buy this bag in the first place. The rep was very nice, and said that their Product Development Team decided to remove that feature, but the photos on the LCI and Amazon sites were never revised.

I enclosed a photo of what was advertised, and that this one feature is no longer available. It's just simply a top flap without a pocket zip mesh underneath.

No more meshed zip

Last edited by MtlTourist; Sep 18, 19 at 1:17 pm Reason: Added more information on the review
Old Sep 21, 19, 3:52 am

Programs: BA Meltdown Gold, OZ♦+ (flying BR/UA), WoH♦, HH♦. Gaming: Mlife Noir, TR7*
Originally Posted by MtlTourist View Post
The website says the exterior dimensions are 16 x 9 x 8.5, but when I took a tape measure to it, the exterior dimensions are actually 17 x 9 x 8.5
I fly UA all the time, and their required dimensions for a personal item are 17 x 10 x 9, so this is right within the limits.
Just to note that FT'ers have reported that UA's actual sizer size is 18" x 11" x 9".
Old Sep 22, 19, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, UA Premier, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by gengar View Post
Just to note that FT'ers have reported that UA's actual sizer size is 18" x 11" x 9".
Thanks very much for that correction. I must have caugt an outdated UA webpage .
Old Sep 22, 19, 6:49 pm

Programs: BA Meltdown Gold, OZ♦+ (flying BR/UA), WoH♦, HH♦. Gaming: Mlife Noir, TR7*
Originally Posted by MtlTourist View Post
Thanks very much for that correction. I must have caugt an outdated UA webpage .
Not a correction at all - the official dimensions stated by UA are in fact 17" x 10" x 9" as you posted. It's just that FT'ers have reported the actual UA sizer at the gates is larger than the officially allowed dimensions.

Search this Thread