Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Brief Decision; TUMI Expandable Brief (Alpha 3) vs B&R @Work Medium Brief Briefcase

Brief Decision; TUMI Expandable Brief (Alpha 3) vs B&R @Work Medium Brief Briefcase

Old Sep 16, 19, 8:40 am
Original Poster

TUMI T-Pass® Expandable Laptop Brief (Alpha 3) vs Briggs & Riley @Work Medium EXPANDABLE Brief Briefcase

So damn confused. I travel a tonne cross continental but also loads of short haul flights so needed something that i can fit ~2-3 nights shirts in but also use day-to-day for meetings running around the cities. Love both - kind of like the Tumi style more, but for ~200 quid extra i am not entirely convinced. Money isnt really the issue - more the utility of the two. Also i shamelessly like the status of the Tumi brand.

I love the pockets and sections in B&R more than Tumi from what i've seen. Please help! Im usually incredibly decisive and hate going to forums for help but have no idea! Pros and cons?

Last edited by Sharan Dhanjani; Sep 16, 19 at 8:46 am
Old Sep 20, 19, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, HH Gold, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Accor Silver, National EE, Hertz PC
I have a B&R large expandable briefcase KB302X-4, an older, but very similar sibling to the @work large expandable briefcase. I've had it for going on 10 years now, and used it for about 7 of those years full-time. It was one of the best luggage investments I ever made, and it's still in great condition, but I hate to say, I do find it boring, and I also regret not buying the medium, both reasons why it's been relegated to backup duties now. I am still a huge B&R proponent, especially for suitcases, but I now prefer Tumi for backpacks and briefcases. Looks do matter for briefcases, which you're going to carry around everyday and become very personal objects.
Old Sep 24, 19, 8:36 am

Location: State side (ORD, DCA, LHR and LGA most of the time)
Programs: SkyTeam, AA, DL, BA, HH
I cant really speak to the Briggs & Riley, many on here swear by the brand for the warranty and quality. I have the Tumi and use it everyday. It has never let me down and it takes a beating. I have had zero quality concerns and it can carry a mountain. Tumi is recognized as a luxury brand, that is not to say that B&R isn't, Tumi just spends a lot more on marketing. The pockets on the Tumi have served me well, the zippers are incredibly strong and I have never had any issues with them. Tumi also sells some addons for the bag. They have a "flat folding pack" that makes it easier to keep your clothes tidy. I will post a link to it. I think it is 50 Euro / dollars, or something like that. I feel like it is a decent addition and may help with what you are looking for packing wise. I prefer Tumi, I feel that it is more professional and is more recognized / accepted in the "office." Maybe I am just a sucker for the marketing. Whichever you choose to go with, I would recommend that you invest in a Tom Bihn Absolute Shoulder Strap. It is a significant improvement and is very comfortable.

Links:

https://www.tombihn.com/products/sho...nt=16664457159

https://www.tumi.com/p/medium-flat-f...-pack-014823D/
Old Oct 17, 19, 2:14 pm

I have one barely used Tumi Expandable Briefcase, Ballistic, that replaced the other one that I used, traveled and carried so much, while it was functional and still good looking, my nephew requested it and I obliged, giving him a nicely used Tumi.

Tumi's expandable Ballistic briefcase not only functions with first class quality, but it Carries with it a sense of personal accomplishment to any business or board meeting.

Enjoy what you purchase and hopefully you will find it the type of briefcase you can carry with inner satisfaction.

Search this Thread