Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Do I need some kind of backpack protector?

Old Sep 11, 19, 1:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue, BAEC

Hi folks,

I have a short flight with a connection in the middle, Humberside-Amsterdam-Berlin. I've got about 2 and a half hours in Amsterdam. I need clothes for four whole days, plus two sets of running kit, and I might want to bring souvenirs home, so I've decided to pay the little bit extra check my baggage through to Berlin.

Because I've got the beginnings of tennis elbow, I don't fancy dragging stuff behind me or using a suitcase for the bit where I got from Tegel to my hotel, so I'm going to use a 65l backpack which is too big for the overhead locker. I have a 40l one which I use for HBO, but it's a long time since I've put luggage in the hold.

I'm conscious that there are all kinds of straps and cords hanging off my backpack, and that much of the handling will involve conveyor belts, so I'm wondering if I need to buy a backpack protector.

My backpack has a rain cover, so my original plan was to just put it in the rain cover and maybe use a couple of luggage straps to keep everything in place. Does this seem reasonable, or is there an alternative I might look for.

As I'm going to start flying with the whole family, soon, a long-term solution might make sense, as then I will definitely need to carry luggage on my back...
Old Sep 11, 19, 6:32 pm

I have never had an issue with my backpack as checked luggage. I have never used the rain cover or any other protection. The pack is 65L filled with gear for 10 treks on the Continental Divide, Pacific Crest Trail and Appalachian Trail with a couple of fishing trips to Alaska.
Old Sep 12, 19, 1:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue, BAEC
Originally Posted by TGarza View Post
I have never had an issue with my backpack as checked luggage. I have never used the rain cover or any other protection. The pack is 65L filled with gear for 10 treks on the Continental Divide, Pacific Crest Trail and Appalachian Trail with a couple of fishing trips to Alaska.
Thanks,

I was hoping this would be the case. I was just conscious that such a thing as backpack protectors exist and that there must therefore be a market for them.

I won't bother for a short hop!
Old Oct 4, 19, 8:53 am

Programs: EuroBonus
One thing you can do to protect it, it to close all the buckles, and tighten the straps (and for example roll up the ends and fasten with elastic bands). It is also a good idea to wrap the hip belt around the backpack (sort of "inside-out") and fasten it. Just to minimise stuff flapping about.

If you want to wrap it, I know plenty people who use a big heavy duty trash bag and a roll of sticky tape. Easy enough to bring a spare for the trip home.

- DanishFlyer
(who has one of those pack flight bags somewhere, but now just end up with a duffel with backpack straps - not enough walking with bags anymore …)

Search this Thread