Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

B&R Domestic vs International Advice

Old Sep 8, 19, 9:02 am
Original Poster

I narrowed my carryon bag search to a either a two wheeled Briggs & Riley Domestic or International baseline model. I was wondering if someone who has experience with both models could comment on which one would be more practical from a packing efficiency point of view as well as versatility with different airlines. I will be traveling both domestically (US) and internationally and do not want to buy more than one bag and do not want to check it.

Thank you you in advance
Old Sep 8, 19, 6:07 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K
FWIW when I considered both the one thing that swung me was the total height/length. I found my sports jacket would fold perfectly in thirds with the international, while the longer international didn't work so well. In two years of use have yet to find a need for something longer, YMMV. Personally like the spinner even with the more unstable nature of it. Now travel a lot domestically and had no issue with the international on domestic WN/AS, YMMV
Old Sep 9, 19, 7:39 am

Programs: 11x Southwest Companion Pass Status/ Hilton Lifetime Diamond/ Hertz PC; Iberia Oro
I have the International spinner and use it for both Domestic and International. I have no issues with it. Its ability to expand is KEY!!

It becomes very useful when traveling within Europe with airline carriers.
Old Sep 9, 19, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Did you consider the 2 wheeler. In the store it seemed to be more robust, even empty, than the spinner?
Old Sep 9, 19, 8:51 am

Programs: 11x Southwest Companion Pass Status/ Hilton Lifetime Diamond/ Hertz PC; Iberia Oro
Originally Posted by Jb20 View Post
Did you consider the 2 wheeler. In the store it seemed to be more robust, even empty, than the spinner?
For me the 4 wheel spinner is very important when i am traveling thru many of the airports etc etc. Note that i travel every week somewhere and i travel to Europe about 8 times per year.

The spinner is key FOR ME. However if i didnt care about the 4 wheel aspect i would go for the two wheel. its bigger wheels handle the street better and it might have more room for a suit.

In terms of robust.. i cant say.... I have traveled hard with my spinner. Planes, Trains, Cars, Subways , Cobblestone streets in Europe...and I have not had any issues.

If you dont care about 4 wheels then i would get the 2. i Love the 4 the wheels.
Old Sep 10, 19, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Just out of curiosity, how often do you pull your spinner using two wheels. Also do you use it in “two wheel” mode on cobblestones?
Old Sep 10, 19, 9:09 am

Just out of curiosity, how often do you pull your spinner using two wheels. Also do you use it in “two wheel” mode on cobblestones?
It depends. Sidewalks in Madrid are tiled. The raised portions are not that pronounced so I roll the luggage.

Sidewalks are 4 wheel mode no problem.

Not too often do I use two wheeled mode. If you will be doing a lot of train travel or using the country metro you will at times use 2 wheeled more...the width of the wheels are narrow...they could get stuck in a crevice.

With smooth surfaces. Airports. Train stations hotels Sidewalks I go 4 wheel all the time.

Note that the real wheels on the spinner are bigger in diameter than the front ones. This is to help in wheeled mode.
Old Sep 10, 19, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by feysul View Post
It depends. Sidewalks in Madrid are tiled. The raised portions are not that pronounced so I roll the luggage.

Sidewalks are 4 wheel mode no problem.

Not too often do I use two wheeled mode. If you will be doing a lot of train travel or using the country metro you will at times use 2 wheeled more...the width of the wheels are narrow...they could get stuck in a crevice.

With smooth surfaces. Airports. Train stations hotels Sidewalks I go 4 wheel all the time.

Note that the real wheels on the spinner are bigger in diameter than the front ones. This is to help in wheeled mode.
Thank you, I really appreciate your help. One last question, are you able to fit your international bag on its side (like a book) on the new overhead Boeing bins on us domestic flights. The international bag is wider and I was wondering if it is to big to fit this way. Thanks again.
Old Sep 12, 19, 9:28 am

Thank you, I really appreciate your help. One last question, are you able to fit your international bag on its side (like a book) on the new overhead Boeing bins on us domestic flights. The international bag is wider and I was wondering if it is to big to fit this way. Thanks again.
No problem book wise for me on the 737-800/900 for me, I'll add a picture later.

For me the spinner is very nice as I slip a very full/heavy Tumi ( two laptops and stuffed with many other things ), when the going gets rough like many a sidewalk in china I go two wheel, it's done a lot of mile in both two and four wheel mode and given the weight of the bag and backpack no issues at all, YMMV.
feysul likes this.
Old Sep 12, 19, 9:43 am

I just flew yesterday from Toronto to Chicago on a Q400 Turboprop. I carried on board my BR Intl WB.....I put it in book-wise, NO issues. As far as 737....no issues Max, 700 or 800.

One final note. I was thinking about this thread the last couple days on my way to my room at the hotel. with Carpeting you will need to 2 wheel it....no issue for me. I just wanted to share with you another scenario.

If the carpet is a hard carpet like at some airports you can 4 wheel it.. if the carpet is padded or thicker...2 wheel.
Old Sep 12, 19, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

I just flew yesterday from Toronto to Chicago on a Q400 Turboprop. I carried on board my BR Intl WB.....I put it in book-wise, NO issues. As far as 737....no issues Max, 700 or 800.

One final note. I was thinking about this thread the last couple days on my way to my room at the hotel. with Carpeting you will need to 2 wheel it....no issue for me. I just wanted to share with you another scenario.

If the carpet is a hard carpet like at some airports you can 4 wheel it.. if the carpet is padded or thicker...2 wheel.
Thank you. I am torn between the two wheel international and domestic models. My preference is the International model because, if you believe the B+R website which is not always accurate, the international model has a slightly larger volume. It also has a lower center of gravity and I think the form factor is better for more efficient packing.

My two biggest concerns are. 1. Will it fit in domestic bins. If it can fit like a book it should be ok for all non regional-jet bins since it is shorter but wider than the domestic bag. 2. Will the US gate agents force me to check the bag. I don't know if you have a different experience but in years of flying I have never seen a domestic gate agent ask a passenger to place their bag in the form. In addition, I think it would be hard for an agent to look at the bag and determine that it was 1 inch wider than the allowed size.

I am interested in your comments
Old Sep 12, 19, 1:14 pm

Thank you. I am torn between the two wheel international and domestic models. My preference is the International model because, if you believe the B+R website which is not always accurate, the international model has a slightly larger volume. It also has a lower center of gravity and I think the form factor is better for more efficient packing.

My two biggest concerns are. 1. Will it fit in domestic bins. If it can fit like a book it should be ok for all non regional-jet bins since it is shorter but wider than the domestic bag. 2. Will the US gate agents force me to check the bag. I don't know if you have a different experience but in years of flying I have never seen a domestic gate agent ask a passenger to place their bag in the form. In addition, I think it would be hard for an agent to look at the bag and determine that it was 1 inch wider than the allowed size.

I am interested in your comments

I travel every week and rarely have I seen. US airline ask to measure the luggage.

I must definitely have on international inter-European flights. Lufthansa. Swiss. AUSTRIAN. Etc. they are very aggressive and will want to look at your luggage.
Old Sep 13, 19, 9:39 am

I travel every week and rarely have I seen. US airline ask to measure the luggage.

I must definitely have on international inter-European flights. Lufthansa. Swiss. AUSTRIAN. Etc. they are very aggressive and will want to look at your luggage.
In more than 300+ segments US Intl or domestic departures never weighed or measured, except when you got a GA on some power trip ( UA in SFO x 2, calling me out), but flying out of anywhere but US YMMV and expect both weight to be checked, size less so.

Search this Thread