Rimowa problem

Old Sep 8, 19, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Rimowa problem

My Salsa Air is 4 years old, so still under guarantee. Recently, whilst abroad, the lock stopped working. That is, the case remained locked in spite of the correct code being put in - one of the cogs had slipped. I don't really see any point in sending it to Rimowa, as it has already been repaired once for the same problem, so it is likely to happen again. It just seems like a super cheap lock on a high-end case.

Does anyone have any idea how I should proceed? BTW, last time the case was away for 4 months!
Old Sep 8, 19, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Marsalforn View Post
Does anyone have any idea how I should proceed? BTW, last time the case was away for 4 months!
You still need to send it back to Rimowa regardless.

While I doubt it works, you can express your extreme disappointment when requesting the repair again to see if Rimowa is gracious enough to offer a full replacement instead of repair. The chance is not high obvious. But it is worth trying.
Old Sep 8, 19, 7:58 am

If you are anywhere near a Rimowa store or a city with their hotel repair program, they will fix it in minutes.
Old Sep 8, 19, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Thank you both. No, unfortunately I am nowhere near a service centre, and am even about 15 miles from a dealer who will charge me USD30 to send it to another country, Belgium. Cheap locks and difficult to access service seem to be the norm these days.

I have dropped Rimowa a line explaining the problem and await a reply.
Old Sep 11, 19, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Rimowa have offered for me to send the case away for lock replacement, or that they will send me the lock for me to change myself. Which would you recommend? I am not particularly manual, though they say its easy.
Old Sep 11, 19, 10:13 am

Have them send you the lock. If it's too difficult, go to a local luggage place and give them a few bucks/quid
Marsalforn likes this.
Old Sep 12, 19, 7:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LTT, DL Gold, Hyatt Platinum
It's easy to do. Have them send the lock. I've done this many times - no fault of Rimowa but TSA prying open the locks and damaging them.
Marsalforn likes this.

Search this Thread