Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Best gym shoes for carry on

Old Aug 31, 19, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)

I always end up with the choice of going carry on without gym shoes or checked luggage with them because theyíre too bulky to put in my carry on. Can anyone recommend training shoes I can use in the gym that will squash down or roll up to take up less room in my carry on? I donít need good sole cushioning because I donít run (knees wonít take it) and usually use the elliptical trainer and weights.
Old Aug 31, 19, 5:09 am

I don't know how much room you need, but my Nike Free RN flatten a lot since the top part of the shoe is mostly a cloth like material.
Old Aug 31, 19, 5:17 am

Programs: AC, Marriott
Originally Posted by rrgg View Post
I don't know how much room you need, but my Nike Free RN flatten a lot since the top part of the shoe is mostly a cloth like material.
Nike makes a version called the Free RN Commuter which packs completely flat. The heel cup was replaced by elastic which can fold in for compact packing.
Old Aug 31, 19, 8:30 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz, Chase Credit Cards

Moderator Note: Please follow the thread as it moves to Travel Products.
Old Aug 31, 19, 9:17 am

Programs: M/M
Vibram FiveFingers; take up minimal space and weight in my carry-on kit.
Old Aug 31, 19, 9:47 am

Programs: UA silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hornillas1 View Post
Vibram FiveFingers; take up minimal space and weight in my carry-on kit.
While the packability is certainly a pro for VFFs and other minimalist shoes (I wear Merrell Trail Gloves, personally), they're not for everyone. If one is planning to run in them and are not used to minimalist/barefoot style shoes - or even interested in running in them - it will be a transition period to avoid injury.

If OP is interested in trying minimalist shoes, VFFs are an option. I don't like them myself, but other options include Merrell Trail Gloves and Vapor Gloves, which are probably the most easily accessible; also Xero Shoes and Vivobarefoot. If you want cushion and zero drop, look at Altra and Topo. All are pretty packable and light,.

Otherwise, Nike Free RN are pretty good.
Old Aug 31, 19, 9:59 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K
For me I've been able to do a weeks in a BR International, including one sports jacket, and as a gym/fitness hound no problem including a multi-purpose running/fitness shoe. Just my standard Nike size 9.5, all about balancing what you bring, wear my dress shoes and carry my gym shoes. Minimalist shoes never worked for me even though I'm a light runner doing about 3 miles when I cardio.
Old Aug 31, 19, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Some great suggestions here, thanks. I donít run so cushioning not an issue - just need something I can do 45 minutes elliptical or bike on and then 15 minutes weights.
Old Aug 31, 19, 1:27 pm

New balance minimus are worth a look, I donít have a pair but thinking I will for the same reasons as you.
Old Aug 31, 19, 8:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by roberino View Post
Some great suggestions here, thanks. I don’t run so cushioning not an issue - just need something I can do 45 minutes elliptical or bike on and then 15 minutes weights.
Then Vibram shoes will do just fine. A pair can squish down to the same height as a single minimalist-shoe.

I prefer them when doing elliptical because it's a more natural feel to work the calves by flexing the feet.
Old Sep 1, 19, 1:18 am

Programs: BA Silver
Can't you just fill your shoes with stuff to compensate for the space they are taking? Of course it depends on what else is in your carry-on and you shoe size but I always have items in there that I can squeeze into my shoes (socks, rolled up t-shirt, chargers, ...) .
Old Sep 1, 19, 1:37 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
I use converse canvas sneakers. They pack almost completely flat. They work for me doing weight training and cardio machines. Not sure if they'd be any good for running/jogging.
Old Sep 1, 19, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TimDP View Post
Can't you just fill your shoes with stuff to compensate for the space they are taking? Of course it depends on what else is in your carry-on and you shoe size but I always have items in there that I can squeeze into my shoes (socks, rolled up t-shirt, chargers, ...) .
One whiff of my trainers will answer that question in an instant.
Old Sep 1, 19, 8:40 pm

I got Nike Free RN 2018 for exactly this purpose about 9 months ago based on advice in a thread here and they have been absolutely perfect and travelled with me on every trip, no matter how lightly I've packed, since I bought them. They pack completely flat, are very comfortable and lightweight to wear and have enough cushioning for anything in the gym (I'll often finish with 3-5km on a treadmill) and short to medium open road jogs. I looked for a long time for something which would do this job well and can unreservedly recommend them. They are perfect imo.
Old Sep 1, 19, 9:16 pm

I like to buy Dream Pairs walking and sports shoes, in part because they stock many sizes up to 15 or larger, and up to 4E or 6E in width.I usually buy those either from Amazon U.S. (save pairs I like to a wish list where I can keep track of their pricing changes) So I just wait until I see a good price/discount offered on a pair of shoes I want, and then buy the shoes then. Lightweight and comfortable for gym sports.

Search this Thread