FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Products (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/)
-   -   Luggage with user replaceable wheels? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/1985144-luggage-user-replaceable-wheels.html)

iceblueshoes Aug 29, 2019 11:17 pm

Luggage with user replaceable wheels?

Hello all,

so for whatever reason, the wheels on my luggage always seem to wear down on one side. It may be due to the weight I put in (usually pick up 4-6 bottles on a trip) but there are no other breaks in my luggage. The "case" itself is fine.
I have a heys luggage (26") and Atlantic luggage (28+"). Both are hard body case polycarbonate. Sure they have wear and tear, but the same wheel has worn through on both. I've tried looking online but seems neither company just sells the parts. At least in the case of the heys, the only place that will service them which I'm aware of, is a bit of a hike to get to since I don't own a car.

While I try not to destroy my luggage, I don't freak out about chips and scuffs.
Any suggestions that won't cost more than a mortgage payment?

I also have a heys carry-on which is really scuffed up (got it for $20 about 10yrs ago) but besides that it's great! Glides like a dream! With that being said, I actually don't use it too often.
I found the build quality and "ride" to be much better on the heys than the Atlantic, but I had to rush for the Atlantic since I needed it right before I had a trip. Now that I have more time, I'd like some suggestions so that I can take my time.

Thanks in advance! :D

Also if someone can point me in the right direction to get parts, that would be a big help too! Seems so wasteful to not try to fix either of these.

wendyg Aug 30, 2019 3:14 am

If you come through London with any frequency, there's a repair place in South Kensington that replaces wheels on luggage. When my wheels broke on the Brussels cobblestones, I measured the wheels and bought the correct size of skate wheels (off eBay); they then put them in (because they couldn't source wheels for my particular make of bag, but they can for most). You could also ask them to modify the bag so you can easily replace the wheels yourself.

wg

JDiver Sep 5, 2019 1:17 pm

I’ve never seen a luggage brand that advertises user-replaceable wheels. Your best bet is to find a reputable luggage repair store that is available to you physically or online.

Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant Sep 5, 2019 1:40 pm

My rolly-bags and large check-in bags are from Pelican / Stormcase, which have easily user-replaced, very nicely rolling heavy duty wheels. My large case (50 lbs+) just had a wheel fail after about twelve years, they sent me a new set, free.

Might be too industrial-looking for ya, though.

Have you called Heys? I've seen their wheels for sale on eBay (there's none there now, I just checked), but I'd always start by calling or emailing the manufacturer. ( [email protected] )
They might have things like that not listed for sale on their website, but who knows? They might just send some out like Pelican does!

GoRavens Sep 5, 2019 11:06 pm

Amazon sells replacement wheels (casters) for their Amazon Basics brand spinner bags.
Pack of 4 for $15.

iceblueshoes Sep 6, 2019 6:54 am

Originally Posted by wendyg (Post 31472693)
If you come through London with any frequency, there's a repair place in South Kensington that replaces wheels on luggage. When my wheels broke on the Brussels cobblestones, I measured the wheels and bought the correct size of skate wheels (off eBay); they then put them in (because they couldn't source wheels for my particular make of bag, but they can for most). You could also ask them to modify the bag so you can easily replace the wheels yourself.

wg

Unfortunately I don't get to London too often. I should've looked into it when I was there in the fall and going around on 3 wheels.

Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant (Post 31494536)
My rolly-bags and large check-in bags are from Pelican / Stormcase, which have easily user-replaced, very nicely rolling heavy duty wheels. My large case (50 lbs+) just had a wheel fail after about twelve years, they sent me a new set, free.

Might be too industrial-looking for ya, though.

Have you called Heys? I've seen their wheels for sale on eBay (there's none there now, I just checked), but I'd always start by calling or emailing the manufacturer. ( [email protected] )
They might have things like that not listed for sale on their website, but who knows? They might just send some out like Pelican does!

I haven't myself, but know other people have asked and were asked for a receipt (which they didn't have) or wanted the people to drive it out there. Since I don't have a car, I can't really take it out there.

Originally Posted by GoRavens (Post 31495794)
Amazon sells replacement wheels (casters) for their Amazon Basics brand spinner bags. Link

Pack of 4 for $15.

I'll check out that link. Much appreciated!

Minifab Sep 9, 2019 8:58 am

Briggs and Riley has lifetime free self repair kits; shipped right to your house

Cardboard55 Sep 13, 2019 5:41 pm

Yes, I have replaced the wheels on one of my Briggs and Riley spinners myself (with a replacement set FedExed to me for free from B&R), and it was reasonably easy.

Catskilltraveller Sep 13, 2019 7:22 pm

Same here. B&R shipped replacement wheels for one of our bags. Took a few minutes to swap them out

heycurt Sep 25, 2019 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Minifab (Post 31506654)
Briggs and Riley has lifetime free self repair kits; shipped right to your house

I've used this! Very convenient!

don731 Oct 15, 2019 7:38 pm

Some TravelPro rollaboards have user replaceable wheels.