Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Carry on size margin??

Carry on size margin??

Old Aug 28, 19, 5:30 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Programs: FlyingBlue
Posts: 14
Carry on size margin??

Hi!
i知 one week away from my visit to the Paris Rimowa store but still in hesitation with my purchase.
I want to buy the Rimowa 45L original cabin PLUS which is 22.1/17,8/9,7 (57/44/25,5). I know it is bigger than what 99% of the airlines will allow... but i知 guessing they have a bit of a margin??
i mostly fly AF, domestic short hauls and long hauls. Sometimes in J sometimes in Y.
can you guys tell me if you致e had problems with that carry-on model (or other brands larger than authorized carry-ons)?? Please i dont need a reminder of AF authorized carry-on dimensions ahah.
thank you very much in advance!!
best,
Mat
Mat.J is offline  
Old Aug 28, 19, 7:48 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: NW Ohio & Sri Lanka
Posts: 197
Originally Posted by Mat.J View Post
Hi!
i知 one week away from my visit to the Paris Rimowa store but still in hesitation with my purchase.
I want to buy the Rimowa 45L original cabin PLUS which is 22.1/17,8/9,7 (57/44/25,5). I know it is bigger than what 99% of the airlines will allow... but i知 guessing they have a bit of a margin??
i mostly fly AF, domestic short hauls and long hauls. Sometimes in J sometimes in Y.
can you guys tell me if you致e had problems with that carry-on model (or other brands larger than authorized carry-ons)?? Please i dont need a reminder of AF authorized carry-on dimensions ahah.
thank you very much in advance!!
best,
Mat
Wife and I both owning 45L Rimowa Carryons neither one of us have ever been stopped or gate checked on Delta International Flights out of Detroit, However Flying from Detroit to Hawaii on a long haul delta flight, they tried gate checking my 45L but I was naughty and tore the gate check tag off and proceeded onto the airplane with it with room for it.. I would say its a crap shoot every time I carry it but continue to do so... Buy it and deal with it later is how I look at it
bulbmogul is offline  
Old Aug 28, 19, 8:48 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Programs: FlyingBlue
Posts: 14
Originally Posted by bulbmogul View Post
Wife and I both owning 45L Rimowa Carryons neither one of us have ever been stopped or gate checked on Delta International Flights out of Detroit, However Flying from Detroit to Hawaii on a long haul delta flight, they tried gate checking my 45L but I was naughty and tore the gate check tag off and proceeded onto the airplane with it with room for it.. I would say its a crap shoot every time I carry it but continue to do so... Buy it and deal with it later is how I look at it
Thanks for your answer !

Would you say that the potential rare times I might have a ォ problem サ with it in an airport, are not worth worrying compared to all the times I値l go with no problem? And compared to the satisfaction of having a high storage capicity carry-on?

(+ i will also use this for train and car travels on which obviously no dimension problem and full enjoyment of a ォ large サ luggage!)
Mat.J is offline  
Old Aug 28, 19, 1:36 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: NW Ohio & Sri Lanka
Posts: 197
Originally Posted by Mat.J View Post


Thanks for your answer !

Would you say that the potential rare times I might have a ォ problem サ with it in an airport, are not worth worrying compared to all the times I値l go with no problem? And compared to the satisfaction of having a high storage capicity carry-on?

(+ i will also use this for train and car travels on which obviously no dimension problem and full enjoyment of a ォ large サ luggage!)
I do very little regional jet flight service and most likely if I did, I would most likely take one of my smaller Rimowas to be safe. From what most say, using a 45L on regional jets will get you gate checked usually. Yes you are exactly correct as wife and I both use these 45L's for local travel for over night stays and just love them...
bulbmogul is offline  
Old Aug 28, 19, 1:42 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Programs: FlyingBlue
Posts: 14
Originally Posted by bulbmogul View Post
I do very little regional jet flight service and most likely if I did, I would most likely take one of my smaller Rimowas to be safe. From what most say, using a 45L on regional jets will get you gate checked usually. Yes you are exactly correct as wife and I both use these 45L's for local travel for over night stays and just love them...
I think I'll go for the 45L actually ! I think what worried me the most is the width but after checking the other cabin models (cabin and cabin S), there's only TWO INCHES more on the 45L Cabin Plus model, so for two inches, it's much much more worth it to go PLUS I reckon! I've never ever ever had to size-check any of my carry-ons in the boxes at the airport before, i think it's all about the overall visual of it so eventhough i'm keen on the Plus model, i'll order the two different sizes to see for myself and return one of them!
thanks again for your testimony!
Mat.J is offline  
Old Aug 28, 19, 1:52 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: NW Ohio & Sri Lanka
Posts: 197
Originally Posted by Mat.J View Post
I think I'll go for the 45L actually ! I think what worried me the most is the width but after checking the other cabin models (cabin and cabin S), there's only TWO INCHES more on the 45L Cabin Plus model, so for two inches, it's much much more worth it to go PLUS I reckon! I've never ever ever had to size-check any of my carry-ons in the boxes at the airport before, i think it's all about the overall visual of it so eventhough i'm keen on the Plus model, i'll order the two different sizes to see for myself and return one of them!
thanks again for your testimony!
Just keep them both and start your fleet of Rimowa like i have.. You will love it and they are ICONIC no matter what anyone says. I have over 15 pieces and just bought another Cabin+ in Dubai a few weeks ago..



bulbmogul is offline  
Old Aug 28, 19, 2:36 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Programs: FlyingBlue
Posts: 14
Originally Posted by bulbmogul View Post
Just keep them both and start your fleet of Rimowa like i have.. You will love it and they are ICONIC no matter what anyone says. I have over 15 pieces and just bought another Cabin+ in Dubai a few weeks ago..



what a nice collection! There is actually a big chance i wont want to return any of them once they are delivered to me ahah! Are the two ones black and silver left/middle bottom of your picture Plus carry ons?
Mat.J is offline  
Old Aug 28, 19, 4:44 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: NW Ohio & Sri Lanka
Posts: 197
Originally Posted by Mat.J View Post


what a nice collection! There is actually a big chance i wont want to return any of them once they are delivered to me ahah! Are the two ones black and silver left/middle bottom of your picture Plus carry ons?
Yes both the 45L one is the older in silver with add a bag and the darn one with stickers is new since LV take over and no add a bag.. I paid extra for the stickers and the belt strap was crazy price but i wanted one..
bulbmogul is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: