Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Best suitcase when checking a bag for longer trips?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best suitcase when checking a bag for longer trips?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2019, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex,Citi
Question Best suitcase when checking a bag for longer trips?

Before TSA, I bought with a Samonsite hardside case when checking luggage for longer trips (5-15 day international trips, mostly for vacation). Weighs nearly 16 pounds empty, but aside from a few scrapes and TSA breaking the locks, it has held up very well.

I've been looking for a new checked bag, seems like hardsides have entirely fallen out of favor? Are the new zip-close synthetic fabric bags really up to the rigors of long-distance long-duration travel, or do they still get chewed up by baggage handling systems? Nothing worse than being halfway through a multi-nation trip and having your suitcase come off the plane in two pieces (been there, done that, got a free t-shirt for my trouble).

We have Samsonite & Travelpro outlets (no sales tax), any other brands I should check out in person before buying? Delsey? Any "value" brands that even come close in durability to these?
Old Aug 19, 2019, 6:31 pm

Get a wheeled duffel...bought mine in 1998...it's still going strong. Once carried a small BBQ to Malaysia inside before they were popular there. Tough as nails and versatile as to what you stuff 'em with.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 10:39 am
Original Poster

I used to have a wheeled duffel, but it kept coming off the luggage belt with the seams torn out where the fabric part meets with the rigid wheel/frame part.

If I'm doing three countries in 10 days, I need a checked bag that won't arrive in nation #2 torn in two.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 12:42 pm

Take a look at the eBags branded wheeled duffels. Quality is very high, but prices are still good. I am happy with mine.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 8:07 pm

Are you planning on stuffing it full to the 50 pound limit ?

I have old American touristers soft side suitcase with lots of trips full ( 50lb+70lb) and never had one come apart or rip ,

Maybe check out a Charity shop or Craigslist ,
Old Aug 28, 2019, 12:23 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
If durability is the chief concern I'd consider one of Red Oxx's big bags and I'd toss in a folding luggage cart.

I don't think you'll find anything more durable for the price.

https://www.redoxx.com/safari-beanos.../91032/product

Amazon Amazon
Old Aug 28, 2019, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Lightbulb Thinking I'll replace my old Samsonite hardside case with a new Samsonite soft-side

No fans of Delsey here?

Originally Posted by LAXlocal
Are you planning on stuffing it full to the 50 pound limit ?
I have old American touristers soft side suitcase with lots of trips full ( 50lb+70lb) and never had one come apart or rip , Maybe check out a Charity shop or Craigslist ,
For trips over a week, my checked bag is usually packed to the gills and right under the weight limit, especially on the way home. So if I want an American Tourister that isn't polyester and can survive baggage handling systems, I need to buy used?

For new luggage that isn't super-premium brand, Samsonite and Travelpro are among the few to maintain production quality?
Old Aug 29, 2019, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
For longer trips, laundry or wash and wear clothes packed in a carry on is the way to go. Yes laundry costs more $, but having you bag with you is vastly more important imo.

Old Aug 30, 2019, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by ChicagoKev

For trips over a week, my checked bag is usually packed to the gills and right under the weight limit, especially on the way home. So if I want an American Tourister that isn't polyester and can survive baggage handling systems, I need to buy used?
If you are in an area with charity shops, yard sales , flea markets used luggage is dead cheap , $10-$15 for a full size Samonsite hardside case .
But it also matters how much you need to roll it !

If you are only going from Airport trolley to Taxi , and the Taxi to front desk you might not care how it pulls along ,

But if you are dragging it thru city streets and on and off trains etc then how it rolls may be the most important thing ,

Just to say something about used , in Japan you rent your suitcase for the vacation , since you probably not travel again for a year ,
much of the charity shop etc used stuff is only used a few times.

Plus less of a target if there is luggage theft.....
Old Sep 2, 2019, 9:18 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Interesting that I only find bags with zippers in Canada while in Asia you can get the bags without the zippers. Eminent from Taiwan has a good reputation for being tough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.